Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

smiley_ignore
I ain't spillin the beans.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

One of Stacy's friends stopped by earlier. Never pass up on a chance to let a guy in his late twenties help you do the heavy lifting. We got a first step out of the way. The lower grade log loaded. Ready to position and saw tomorrow.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quick update. Clearly Cherry us related to Walnut.  Screws and nails started appearing in the butt log just under the sapwood. About to put on blade 4. I sawed the upper log first with no issues.

chet

You must have one of dem not-so rare Hybrid Cherry--Ironwood crosses that are native ta residential areas.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

YellowHammer

Ouch.  Getting to be an expensive log. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

If there's no pictures, it didn't happen.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

I neglected  to get many photos, as we off loaded the lumber into the back of Terry's van.  There was some beautiful stuff, but a lot of loss due to all the screws. Looks like 10 years between the first bunch of screws and the second bunch. I had the 5th blade on to finish. I sawed the logs the way Terey wanted them sawn. 4/4 and 8/4.  I ooened up the first log farther than i normally would as he want a wide 9/4 live edge slab. I did put some water on it so you could see the color.

Old Greenhorn

Pretty wood. It's a shame about the damage loss. Hopefully no more further up the tree.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jtmccallum

I was sawing cherry last week near you by Lake Station. Nothing as nice as those logs.  Sawed for four days. Only found three nails. We cut live edge stair treads, posts and 1x for cabinets. Trees were removed from building site for a log cabin. 
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Magicman

You did good.  Just take what the log gives you and that is the best that you can do with any log.  Nothing else matters.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hacknchop

I admire the way you value the wood in those logs, sorry to say some would have rolled that log off the mill but you guys set a good example of what it means to utilise our resources.
Often wrong never indoubt

Jeff

First project created by my friend Terry from this tree to give to Lynda. I showed him the pic she took of the woodpeckers and left it to him.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Well here's my picture.

I like yours much better. Them things are rare around here. Well rare to see I should say. Took me quite a while to get this picture. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!