iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big old growth pine

Started by yarnammurt, January 02, 2015, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

I got a call from a guy that said he had some trees that I could have. You know how most of these kind of thinks go, but I went to look anyways. I got over there this mooring and to my disbelief there they where. 23 Very large old growth pine. The small one was 32-33" in diameter and 80+' tall 8). He had just bought the place and wanted them all gone, So I let him know in a big hurry that I could help him ;D. There is one that is close to the property line but that is fine I have a good buddy that does tree work. I am going back in mooring with him so he can get it toped and blocked down. I will have some pics tomorrow.   
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Chuck White

That sounds like a good deal.

Keep in mind, if they're in the yard, they are likely to have some hardware inside.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yarnammurt

Yea, they are in a open lot. I can handle a little hardware for them. 
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

hunz

Sounds like a find! It will be interesting to see how many growth rings per inch they are. I heard someone say that heart pine is a minimum of 15 rings per inch in long leaf YP before. Truthfully there isn't really any "old growth" perse still standing anywhere in the U.S. except in a national forest. Those trees you've aquired could very well meet today's standard of heart pine. Either way, its hard to beat the beauty of free!!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

yarnammurt

Yea,I know they aren't true old growth. But after a little asking around (my family has been logging here in south Ar for 4 generations). My dad told me to go talk to a friend of his (my dad is 72) and He is in his 80's. He said they where there and pretty good sized when he was a kid. He went with me today and he said that he would bet they where 200yo or so.   

barbender

If 200 years isn't old growth, I don't know what is ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

May not remember this correctly, but back in Oregon the Doug Fir qualified as old growth when it had over 2" of bark, which meant you could not cut it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mikeb1079

i think what's more important than the subjective definition of old growth is that they are high quality, large, and free.   :) :D :)

congrats!  that sounds like a sweet deal!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

I have some 36" on the but end and 70' foot rock maple in the yard. They grow a lot slower than pine. I have a family photo and my dad was 2 years old in it, and everyone was standing in front of those maple. They were less than 2" diameter and 8-10 feet tall. Dad would be 76  now. Out in the woods those trees would be 10"-12" at breast height. In the bush, a 45" rock maple is 300 + yo, hollow, with a good lean. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!