iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions about clearing land -- for charity!

Started by KarateGirl258, March 20, 2010, 10:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Quote from: KarateGirl258 on March 22, 2010, 01:56:35 PM
This will be for one horse. The plan is to rescue him/her from the kill pen, rehab it, and hopefully place it in a "forever home".

I don't know where you are located but the horse will have to leave the country to be killed....Try taking one into Canada an see what it will cost you .....They will charge you such a tarrif to get across the border that it will be cost prevenative. to take there to kill....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

bl73

Quote from: KarateGirl258 on March 22, 2010, 01:56:35 PM

I also understand the concern about the land size. I need about 1 1/3 acres cleared to make about 2 acres of pasture. This will be for one horse. The plan is to rescue him/her from the kill pen, rehab it, and hopefully place it in a "forever home". Then on to the next one. If no forever home can be found, then we will keep raising the funds to support it and other horse rescues in our area. I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do with what I have.

-KarateGirl

are you clearing the total area the horse will be in? I always keep at least on horse at the house, I have my pasture and an acre of pines, the horse rather stay in the pines most times rather than the shelter. One option to look at for clearing the land is to look into some of your excavation companies and pitch them your rescue operation, I know alot companies out this way would help. Good luck to you hope everything works out for the best.

ErikC

I am somewhat familiar with the PMU situation. I shoe a handful that came from that situation as foals, and some retired mares.  All black and white paints for some reason. The foals turned out nice, the mares I dealt with were outlaws. Anyway, just because a horse is sound and healthy doesn't make him a good horse to keep around 20-30 years, in my opinion. He has to do something worthwhile, even if it's to be a pet for someone. This is my standard response to the " they all deserve to live" attitude. Why not kill a useless horse to feed some good dogs? Or endangered carnivores at a zoo? Or people who want to eat horse meat? Are any of these lives not worthwhile as well? I can tell you for a fact many of these horses are dangerous to be around, and money could be better spent elsewhere. If you want to rescue a horse, pick one that has earned it some way, that's all. 
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

captain_crunch

People who have NO bussiness owning a horse or any animal are the problem saveing a starving animal is just normal thing to do. But as far as saveing one from Slaughter (which is illeagle in US) is like climbing up a tree to stop logging >:( >:( >:(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

timberfaller390

I know several draft horse breeders that sell preg. mare urine for that purpose but thier horses are niehter outlaws nor mis treated. They are all working horses and live at some VERY nice farms. They mostly pull vis-a-vis at weddings when they are not in foal or raising a colt.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bl73

I've come across only a couple rescue horses that were safe, most of those horses slated for the ride to Canada were meant to be there because they were unsafe to be around. We use to have boarder horses and it got to the point where one family sent money but they had not been to the barn in about 5 years, those were our rescues. Taking on a horse is huge, the cost of food, grain, vet bills, farrier fees, stall upkeep, pasture upkeep, the added homeowners insurance cost, truck and trailer upkeep, all of the tack you'll need, not to mention the fencing upkeep, and these are just the basics.

flibob

You might try a local soil consultant before you get the government involved.  They can advise on how to legally Not get the government involved. I think the cost would be minimal or nothing for a cause like yours. 
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Thank You Sponsors!