iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions for EZ Boardwalk owner/ users

Started by Sawdusty NC, February 15, 2021, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdusty NC

Hello!
First time posting after a while of lurking and learning!  So many thanks to give-- to administrators, moderators and posters-- for all I have gleaned on the forum.  

I ordered a new EZ Boardwalk 40 with the trailer package.  It will be ready in early April.  My plan has been to drive to Missouri from my home in central NC to pick up and drive back, around 950 miles each way.   I have not priced shipping, partly because I could use a road trip after a very stationary year, and because I can visit some family on the way out.

My question is:  Is this a bad idea?  How does the trailered mill handle on roads large and small, and at freeway speeds?  Any issues to consider with interstate travel?  Stanton at EZ B has been very helpful and has assured me it will handle well, so just wanted to double check with other people's experiences.

Thank you!

Magicman

Oh My, it took you a loong time to find your keyboard.....Welcome.  :)

Picking it up yourself will also give you an opportunity to visit with Stanton and get some "hands on" instructions and pointers.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

farmfromkansas

I pulled my MP32 from Illinois to Kansas when I bought it 16 years ago.  Just make sure your lights work and the mill head is tied down.  I used OD on my truck, and came down I-80, got along fine. These mills are not like pulling a big trailer with a heavy piece of equipment loaded. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sawdusty NC

Thanks, y'all.

Yeah, had to get over my "key shyness", and might have posted sooner if so many of my earlier questions hadn't already been addressed by someone, somewhere on here.  ;D And yes, I am sure looking forward to the hands-on tour of the mill straight from the source!  FarmfromKansas thanks for the from-I-80 report, would be a lonnng slow drive on secondary roads. 

Nebraska

Mine trailed just fine, I wasn't on much interstate on the way back from Missouri just some. Stanton dropped my mill at my the inlaws body shop in Northwest  Missouri, I picked it up over the next weekend. I have some magnetic tail lights I attached to it for the trip. It was fine at highway speeds. Pulls easy. Welcome, enjoy the mill and post some pictures of your set up.

Magicman

Quote from: Nebraska on February 15, 2021, 01:34:10 PMI have some magnetic tail lights I attached to it for the trip.
Good point if it is not "highway ready".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hopm

Picked mine up in Bristol tenn....back to Carolina at ahhh sneak up speed 85 +. Head bolts in place pulls extremely well.

Nebraska

Magicman.... I had to cross a bunch of Iowa to get home I didn't  want  any issues  with their DOT or some other constabulatory type. Just thought  it prudent. It has strategic reflective tape, but I figured lights would be  much better.

farmfromkansas

My Cooks mill has trailer lights, so guess I didn't attract any attention from the state troopers.  If you have a neighbor who is a policeman, ask him what you need to do to drag it home. Or just call the sheriff's office.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

TroyC

Congratulations, you'll love the mill!
The mill will tow fine. It is heavy, probably 2,000 lbs or so. 2" ball. Bring magnetic lights (long wires!) or buy some from Stanton.

Stanton agreed to meet me half way for my EZ40. I left central Georgia before daylight and met Stanton at the Kentucky/Tennessee border just before noon. Got my mill hooked and he left to deliver another. Got back to the farm just before dark that evening. I drove 70-75 on the interstate, no issues with the mill.

Be sure the sawhead is in lowest position for towing or it is top heavy. Carriage locks to frame with 2 bolts so it is secure. Mine came with the extra cross member for cutting short logs and the log turner assembly. They fit easily in truck bed. I got a box of blades also. It does not come with a spare tire. It has the fat tires like on a pontoon boat trailer, 5 lug I think. Might want to throw a spare in your rig just for insurance.

Have fun and good luck! Dress warm, gonna be chilly up that way!

taylorsmissbeehaven

x2 on the spare tire. I worry every time I pull out but have not picked one up yet. Good luck man this is an exciting time!! Brian 
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Sawdusty NC

Thanks, Brian!
Indeed an exciting time, but feeling some nerves, too.  At times I question the wisdom of embarking on this part of the journey at my age-- especially on "bad back days".  Huge thanks to you for sharing your knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for milling!  

TroyC, thanks for the specific suggestions.  Great idea on the spare-- will look into that.  Do you like the blades that EZ B sells, or any other brands/ sources I should consider?  Was just reading elsewhere on the forum about 10 degree vs 7 or 4 blades.  So much to learn...  

taylorsmissbeehaven

Dont question it, Go for it!! You have plenty of enthusiastic helpers around the shop. Just remember to think before you lift. We share that trick back problem so I know its easier said than done. I cant shed light on your mill but I will say do a better job of keeping track of your bands than I have done. Thats my next goal is to set up a system and do better by them. Good luck and cant wait to see your new machine!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Nebraska

My Jr model has much less snort (hp)  than the 40.  It cuts the best with 4 degree blades, much flatter less wave through knots.   I am using Kascos.  Your 40 may do fine with the timber wolf  brand they sell it has  more power.     I played musical blades trying to find the best, I have a collection of 7 and 10 degree blades from different sources they will just sit for cutting questionable things. Anything nice gets 4 degree blades.

dgdrls

Bring a spare tire and make sure the wheel bearings are greased,

Get the magnetic tail lamps and bring extra ratchet straps to be sure the
head is "locked-down"

congratulations!!

D

TroyC

I use the blades from EZ, Timberwolf I think, 9 or 10 degree, work fine for me. I cut mostly pine. The saw almost pulls itself when the blades are sharp. When you have to push, change blade. A dull blade will dive in a pine knot! I've sharpened them several times on a Woodland Mills sharpener, do not have a tooth setter yet. Don't cut dirty logs! Dirt on a log will dull the blade in a cut or two. Learned that last week  :).

I use PineSol and dish soap for lube, works fine on pine for me. Adjust for a drop every few seconds. If your band gets dirty, increase flow slightly. Be careful when filling gas and lube tanks, lube is red and gas is black. I relabeled mine just as a reminder.

mattgancz

Greetings Sawdusty:

I have an EZ Boardwalk Model 40 --- it is a great machine.  The machine is just under 2000 pounds, and it tows fine with a 2" ball hitch.  I have town mine around with my wife's minivan on more than one occasion that my truck was tied up; goodness, you could probably tow it with a Subaru!  If I recall, the tires are only two ply, so asking Stanton to add an additional tire and rim as a spare might be a cheap long term investment.  I lived in Massachusetts when I first purchased the sawmill, and they made me register it as a homemade trailer.  It was outside of their tiny-brain box, and it took a few times of explaining what it was.  Magnetic lights definitely increase visibility, especially since the rear is low and narrow.  I never throw them on for backroad travel, but for the interstate they are non-negotiable in my mind.  

In terms of blades, EZ Boardwalk sells Timberwolf blades --- 174" x 1-1/4".  I run all 7/8" blades, and I run 0.021" set for frozen logs and hardwoods, and I run 0.024" set for pine and hemlock.  If you invest in different size teeth (say 3/4" and 7/8"), your investment will be more if you ever get into sharpening your own blades.  You could add more set for extremely large logs, but I have used the 0.024" set on logs that max out the mill.  

Be aware that if you use water for lubrication, and forget to drain it in the winter, you will crack the brass ball valve for the lubrication.  I have done this once, or twice (ok, ok, three times...)  I started running pure canola oil as bar lubricant in all of my chainsaws a few years back, I have contemplated trying this as a blade lubricant in my mill, but I haven't gotten there yet.  

Buy a grease gun if you don't have one, and grease the blade guides every use.  I keep the bed painted in linseed oil (the real stuff, not boiled) as a rust protectant.  

Happy milling!

tiogajoe

Agree on the 4 degree blades for the Jr. I bought two boxes of the kasco.  I'm still sharpening blades out of my first batch with my cat's claw sharpener.  I never let them get totally dull. I get several sharpening if I touch them up

Thank You Sponsors!