iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diggin it. YES I CAN!

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2022, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

She really looks at hoe M there.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Made it there intact! 8)

Take some "before" pictures of your UP dirt... I think it will soon look different. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Don P

Up there, I expect the first "framed" pic within the week  ;D.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'll be off my feet a day or two. What ever my joint problems are, I was looking forward to that day being over. I sat down for a few moments as the last people were leaving and we began disassembly and pick up. There is always Ceremony the following morning, so every thing needs to be back to normal, and the Statues covered for the Ceremony. 

My view was inspiring to get back up and at it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

No greater Love than this

Jeff

2 more pieces for the cabin. A local yard/estate sale. $15 for the tiller, $100 for the never used snowblower. 

SwampDonkey

You got'r made, Jeff.  smiley_thumbsup

What are you planting this year? Is it a dryer spring without too much water flowing over the ground? I don't know if it's dryer here yet, it's suppose to be damp and cool for the next week after today.

93F here on the porch, just working 60% days in that heat. By about noon you can barely lift your feet and I make trails to walk on, no climbing brush at the end of the day for me.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Those front tine tillers, they are great for busting new ground. A friend of mine replaced a 5 or 6hp engine with a 13 hp he had laying around. Just for kicks😊 That thing worked awesome, the power and extra weight made for a nice smooth tiller.
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, those front tines jobs do a good job. I had two, gave my to my Daughter and SIL, the other I kept and use it for 45 minutes a year. I think the gas in it is 3 years old, starts right off every year with one little shot of either.
 They will bust ground well, but also your back in the process as well as squeeze a lot of sweat out of you. But they work good and are usually fairly cheap. I can't imagine running one with 13HP on board. Maybe the weight helps but geez that's a lot more to wrestle, and wrestling is the name of the game until you hit that special stride.
 Good luck with both those toys, you got yourself a steal there!

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

Strap it to the bucket.

Old Mr Kyles was about 197 years old and had a small place with a big garden on my way to school. When I started school he was the last hunched over old farmer I knew of to still use a mule. By the time I graduated he had outlasted the mule and finally had bought himself a front tine tiller.

barbender

I'm telling ya, that big engine made it a completely different machine. It eliminated most of the wrestling l, it just purred and pulled itself along.

Old Greenhorn

Interesting BB. Mine 'pulls itself along' too, and I spend most of my energy pulling it back. :D I want to churn up where we are now, not move on to new ground quite yet. ;D I like to go deep and when mine gets deep, then it hums along for a bit  until I try to move 'just a little' forward and the fight begins. :D In any event, it works quite well and I am really happy with my free investment in it. My shoulders hurt for a day or so after, and I swat a lot, but that is what keeps me from an early death, I suppose. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Well to be fair, this was 20 years ago, so it was a 27 year old running it😊

SwampDonkey

Had a front tine one for years, Troy Built from the 70's. It jumped and kicked like a horse all the way down the garden. :D I got a rear tine one, I don't have to fight with Mr Ed no more. :D I do have a little front tine one, that is more of an edging tiller, I use that in the small 4x8' gardens and also to mix manure and fertilizer in when planting onions and vine crops. It jumps off rocks, but at least it is not a beast. :D

Brother mentioned a neighbor getting a front tine tiller this spring. Said he was pleased with it, and he's just got a garden about 10 x 16 feet. I never gave my two cents, but I was thinking to myself, I'm glad I've moved on. ;) The neighbor has a bad back and bad heart.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

I have a 5 foot tiller on the back of my JD 850.  It has lived on the JD for 30 years, only coming off a few time.  It is tough too cause the tractor does not have AC.   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

We rent one when needed and have a front tine and a rear tine. It's been over a decade. The planted ground is pretty much beyond tilling it anymore, it gets turned or forked pretty lightly. Well in the good places anyway. Michelle wanted a rotavator and I preferred renting it. i said Honey, I use it once a year and return it with something broken every year. This is a perfect arrangement for me!  ;D" This is where rocks are born though.  

btulloh

Garden tillers. With about a 3 degree curse correction, this could sail into a food thread. lol
HM126

doc henderson

Oh yeah?!  what kind of oil do you run in your tillers?

Mooseherder

Vegetable oil because if it leaks into the garden there will be no consequences.  ;D

JD Guy

I'm in the rear tine tiller group, had a front tine and that darned thing would throw itself all over the place trying to break new ground. Our soil here has a lot of clay in it though so that likely didn't help  :D. A rear tine Troy model with forward and reverse purchased several years ago, while still work is so much easier on this old body  8)

When we were still gardening (deer population ended our garden joy a few years ago) I just used the tractor with scarifier then disc to prep garden then tiller for seed bed rows. Sure miss those great veggies!!

Don P

Actually... I got to grinding again yesterday and noticed I had dry boxes on the mill. I'm not 100% positive that oil cannot get into contact with the corn... it would take some doing, but. I remembered the mineral oil on a shelf in the shop so that is what it is running on. 

I clicked on this because of another memorial a few miles up the road. June 6 is the 79th remembrance of the D-Day invasion. 
About The Memorial & Bedford - National D-Day Memorial (dday.org)

Jeff

Thanks to @Corley5 , I am finding out, putting tire chains on of this size require a little umph on my part that I have not had of late. I'll get her eventually.

Thanks for the chains Greg!

These are 25" by 19.5.     My  tires are 24" by 17.5"    I should be able to make them fit.  

I had two new dipper teeth in the toolbox, so I ordered the retaing pins, and replaced the missing outside tooth, and replaced the other outside tooth so the long ones are on the outside. Have no idea if it matters. I may go for a woods walk before I continue on the chains.

Jeff

Argh! Those extra hoses are causing a clearance issue

barbender

With bigger chains like that, I usually hook a regular chain to one end, go up over the tire and then shove the tag end under the tire. Then just drive them on, let the machine lift them. Tire chains give enough of a fight without having to lift them on, too.

bitternut

What the heck Jeff. You don't even have to drive with the rig you have jacked up like that. Just tie the end of the chain to the wheel with a hunk of rope. put the machine in gear and spin the wheel slowly around to the proper spot and hook them up. Easy peasy. ;D

I run double rings in the summer and trygg studded in the winter. If it wasn't easy I would not be switching them out with the season. My wheels are 16.9 x 28 and those trygg's are really heavy. I'm not a big guy and a senior citizen so like to take the easy way. :D

Thank You Sponsors!