iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finishing cabin ceiling...ideas?

Started by archerj, May 16, 2023, 11:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archerj

I just received my spruce boards that I will be using for my cabin ceiling/roof. I would like to finish them before applying to the rafters

They have circular saw grooves on the ceiling side, that I would like to accent. I was thinking of some sort of glaze that I could use to highlight the grooves. Make the grooves darker. maybe clearing the wood first then applying a glaze and wiping off then tops leaving the darker glaze in the crevices?

I was also thinking of a stain and then lightly sanding the high spots, but I'm afraid the stain will penetrate too deep and I wont get the effect I'm looking for.

Has anyone done something like this?

Or do I just clear it and let the shadows do the work?

anyone tried a torch to accent the grooves?

Thanks in advance.

doc henderson

I like all the above.  get some scrap and experiment and see what the beholder eyes thinks is beautiful.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I used the above Stain on my ceiling and walls.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!