iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire season is upon us

Started by sawguy21, May 17, 2023, 11:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I woke up this morning to a smoky sky, it is already 70  at 9 am and expected to reach close to 90 this afternoon. This could mean a long, miserable summer along with flooding, we don't normally see this until early July.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Andries

Sawguy; we are about a 20hr. drive E. of you, but the smoke from your fires has been with us for a few days. 
Blood red sunrises are pretty, but a big warning signal too.
Have you got wildfire equipment at your place? 
Stay safe, and fingers crossed for low winds and a bunch of rain.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Wlmedley

Weather man just said we are getting smoke from Western Canada fires down here.Must be some big fires.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Andries

Today's news report on the fires in Alberta said that 1,300,000 acres of wildfire were active - that will generate a lot of smoke.
We are dry here on the Eastern end of the prairies as well, just last week I saw grass fires in a forested area just east of Winnipeg. There were dozens of NR personnel dashing around, trying to put out the brush fires.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Had some off the fires last week here when we had a couple warm days. Followed the jet stream. 43F here today and snowed some this morning. Might be a freeze tonight and the leaves are out here. :D

The grey patch in the middle is large tooth, they are slower to come out and they have white hairs on their new leaves to.

Been fire ban on here in New Brunswick for last 2 weeks. We've only had about an inch of rain in 2 months.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Fire ban has been lifted in this area, but weather conditions are not favorable to fires yet!

Dry and windy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hedgerow

We had a lot of smoke in our area a month ago. Kanas always burns a lot of pasture in the Flint Hills and the smoke blows up our way and then locally a lot of CRP gets burned in April. We are very dry around here so burning the CRP this year was tricky and a few got away from folks. Didn't hear of any housing getting burned. 

SwampDonkey

A snow squall recently sweeping in from the west. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Nova Scotia has been experiencing some fires lately all still burning out of control, there is one (Barrington lake)  45 miles from me that is the largest in Nova Scotia since record keeping. It was at 20000 hectares this morning and growing as well as some houses and cottages lost.

Another at 65 hectares (East Pubnico) around 30 miles from me.

About 180 miles from me (Tantallion) around 840 hectares, it is much more populated, 151 homes destroyed and another 50 damaged. I have a friend that lives 3 properties from where the fire started, they evacuated right away and said that the fire was going away from his house when he left on Sunday but I have not heard if the house is still there. People were starting to find out today.

A combination of things are making this year worse, a hurricane last year added lots of fuel, lack of snow this winter and lack of rain this spring has made for perfect fire conditions. Forecast is for rain Friday night through to Sunday....I hope we get it. 

barbender

In northern Minnesota we seem to get all the smoke from Canadian fires. Some days it was kind of nice because had it not been for the smoke blocking the sun, it would've been quite hot out. But most of the time I just complain about Canada not getting a handle on their fires and sending me all of their smoke😊
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Hey BB, does all that Canadian smoke have a skunky smell to it?
A lot of younger Canadians are giving up on alcohol and embracing legalized weed. That's a lot of smoke in the air, man! 
Oh, and don't think of laying the blame on me.
I just picked up another two four of Moosehead, eh?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

But seriously, NW Ontario is putting on a fire ban starting noon tomorrow.
We had a bit of rain last night, but the soil is so thin here, that it can go from soaking wet to tinder dry in about five days. Boreal forest stuff.
@barbender you're only a few hundred miles South of us - is it dry down there too?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

Andries, the MN legisislature just passed legalized marijauna here too. Don't much matter to me either way, but it isn't well thought out. The ATF, a federal agency, put out a notice today that it is still illegal to possess firearms, ammo, and marijauna. So they're making kind of a mess.

We've been dry here, but got a 1" cloud burst last night. I'm on sand so it dries out quickly here as well, not as fast as a 1/2" of sand over bedrock like you though😁
Too many irons in the fire

Hilltop366

Smoke from the Barrington fire is reaching the east coast of the US, the article talks about the Tantallon fire (Halifax) of which you can see a bit of smoke near the middle of the province's east coast but the larger smoke in the south west (left) is the Barrington fire.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/satellite-shows-nova-scotia-wildfire-201000924.html

Hilltop366

Up until a few minutes ago you would have never known there has been a raging forrest fire around for days. Now we can't see across the road. The wind should keep turning and clear off soon. There has been several more fires, forecast is for rain and/or showers starting tonight for several days, hopefully we will get it.

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Hilltop366 on June 02, 2023, 06:22:54 PM
Up until a few minutes ago you would have never known there has been a raging forrest fire around for days. Now we can’t see across the road. The wind should keep turning and clear off soon. There has been several more fires, forecast is for rain and/or showers starting tonight for several days, hopefully we will get it.

I’m from Clyde river. My place is likely gone. Been a crazy week

WhitePineJunky

nativewolf

You are in our thoughts tonight.  Hope we login tomorrow and find good news.  
Liking Walnut

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: nativewolf on June 02, 2023, 08:31:01 PM
You are in our thoughts tonight.  Hope we login tomorrow and find good news.  
Thank you sir. I’ve been evacuated since Sunday, fire has rolled through my land and gone way beyond it now, I reckon i won’t know atleast for another few days though

I know some folks that have had to evacuate, 2-3 times because the fire keeps moving. Half the county has been evacuated. 

Hilltop366

Hoping for the best for you WhitePine, the rain can't come too soon. 

SwampDonkey

Wow that is immense. Sorry about your house and land. Hope you get the cool and rain we started to get up here, ours has been mainly heavy showers. Went from 93F yesterday afternoon to 48F now. We've been quite fortunate in my immediate area, never been a fire since 1910. But we are surrounded by big open fields. The old timers when they cleared land back in the day, planted apple trees and a few yard maples. Breezy on these hills in winter, but low fire risk in summer.

thecfarm

Good luck to you guys.
There was a fire next to mine lot many years ago. 
It went out when it hit my land. Mine land in that area had not been logged so nothing for the fire to burn on. It just went out.
helped that the fire dept showed up with a 2 inch hose too. they ran it through the woods on the other road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

Whitepinejunky, My thoughts are with you. I hope your place makes it! 
I just woke up to an orange sun as the fires are smoking out the country. We have some in northern Ontario that are spreading smoke down here. My Daughter is on bugout alert in Sept Isle Quebec as the fires are only about 5 miles from town. They expect to evacuate 30,000 people this weekend. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Klicker

WhitePine sorry for your loss. Hope you are getting some of the rain we are.
2006 LT 40 HD

Blue Noser

The Shelburne County (Barrington) wildfire is now estimated at 23,000+ hectares. The largest wildfire in Nova Scotia in recorded history was the Trafalgar wildfire in 1976 at 13,000 hectares.

It's been a dry spring. It started off with exceptionally low snowfall winter past, and less than 1/3 our normal rainfall over the last few months. It has started raining today, and is forecasted to be cool and rainy over the next 5-7 days. 

Thank You Sponsors!