iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Fitting

Started by Stephen1, May 30, 2023, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have a leak on my bobcat bucket hydraulic cylinder. The one side of the fitting is weld on there is a square fitting onto the threads and oil is coming out. 
Before I try to undo the fittings I am wondering about the Allen key and slot in the end .
<b

r>
< Do I anch
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fluidpowerpro

That just looks like an SAE port plug to me 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Stephen1

It's leaking on the other side. The square fitting can be undone and changed out?
I din't want to get into removing something with too much force. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fluidpowerpro

I don't think the square end can be removed. The square head is typically 1 pc with the stem that runs down to the cylinder body. Your probably going to need to remove the cylinder and take it apart, and the have it welded to seal the leak.
Change is hard....

Stephen1

that's what I was afraid of. JB Weld just might not be the answer.........

fluidpowerpro

Sorry, JB is great stuff but not for that.
Change is hard....

barbender

We had a lot of welded ports crack on cylinders. They would get a hairline crack, to buy some time we would take a center punch and peen the crack. It worked pretty well for sealing the leak, actually. It would eventually open up more. Depending on where you were as far as getting service, we'll let's just say I've peened some of them 8-10 times before it finally got fixed😁
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

I can't see any crack , just getting a leak a big drop at a time. I think I will take the hoses off and see what I can see. I'll just make sure I leave the arms up enough I can get the cylinder off if needed. Save a few dollars if I just take the cylinder in versus the bobcat.

Don P

Big_eddy

I'd clean and dry it very well and then see if I can figure out exactly where it is leaking using paper towel or a shop rag. In my experience, the first place to leak is the swivel fitting on the hose which is a simple enough fix with a replacement hose. Next suspect is the connection from the hose to the cylinder fitting. It that's an ORB, a new o-ring might do it. If JIC or NPT, then removing, cleaning and reinstalling is worth a try.

If the leak is actually from the welded on fitting itself, then someone with experience welding fittings to cylinders will need to repair or weld on a new fitting.

Stephen1

Quote from: Don P on May 31, 2023, 09:00:16 AM
Prop and chock  ;).
And YES Don prop securely and chock!

chevytaHOE5674

Clean it off good and pinpoint the leak. I've welded many still on the machine with some good old 7018.

Stephen1

Well I blocked up the arm of the bobcat and took off the hose. I cleaned it all and could not see any cracks. I reinstalled the hose and tightened the fitting well. I have reduced the leak but still can not see where it is leaking. 
My next thought is I should wrap the fitting with teflon tape. I will get some from my shop this morning and try that when I get home. 

PoginyHill

Unless the connection is pipe thread, sealing the threads will make no difference. The seal is made by the seat of the JIC (looks like that's what the hose fitting might be) or O-ring for a face seal or SAE fitting. Could be that the fitting sealing surface is distorted (if JIC) and the only fix is likely a new hose.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

barbender

Sometimes fittings will get stretched, either from damage or just fatigue, and there's nothing you can do but replace them.
Too many irons in the fire

Big_eddy

I agree with PoginyHill. Pages 27-30 at this link PA Hydraulics Book have some information about the different connection types. If ORB, then you can replace the O-Ring. If JIC, then other than confirming there are no burs, if snugging it up doesn't fix it, a new connector is needed. Only NPT benefits from Pipe dope. Teflon tape is not recommended for any hydraulics connections.

fluidpowerpro

If it's a 37 degree flared surface that's damaged and causing the leak, there is a product called Flaretite that may help.
Change is hard....

Stephen1

Thanks guys. I am going to pick up a new pin for the forks from the hydraulic shop tomorrow, so I will take the hose with me. 

PoginyHill

Quote from: Big_eddy on June 05, 2023, 12:39:33 PM
I agree with PoginyHill. Pages 27-30 at this link PA Hydraulics Book have some information about the different connection types. If ORB, then you can replace the O-Ring. If JIC, then other than confirming there are no burs, if snugging it up doesn't fix it, a new connector is needed. Only NPT benefits from Pipe dope. Teflon tape is not recommended for any hydraulics connections.
That is a really nice reference book. Thanks for the link!
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

scsmith42

Quote from: Big_eddy on June 05, 2023, 12:39:33 PM
I agree with PoginyHill. Pages 27-30 at this link PA Hydraulics Book have some information about the different connection types. If ORB, then you can replace the O-Ring. If JIC, then other than confirming there are no burs, if snugging it up doesn't fix it, a new connector is needed. Only NPT benefits from Pipe dope. Teflon tape is not recommended for any hydraulics connections.
That is an awesome reference book!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

It is a great reference book. I'll keep that download for sure. 
I now know , don't use teflon tape or pipe dope. 

PoginyHill

You will need pipe dope for any NPT connections. Just make sure it's compatible with hydraulic oil.

Corley5

I've never needed to use sealant on any NPT fittings. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

PoginyHill

Hmmm. Interesting. I may have to give "au naturel" a try.

Corley5

NPTF is used in hydraulic and fuel systems. The F stands for fuel. NPTF doesn't require sealant like NPT but they are compatible otherwise.  The same but different   ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stephen1

I picked up my chrome bar for my forks from Greg at the Hydraulic shop. Great guy always gives me a break and spends time to talk to me. He has helped me with my old 93 LT40 and my bobcat a few times. He just put on a 20,000 sq ft addition and the boys are still working on equipment outside they are so busy. 
I chatted about the leak and the 1st thing he says, it's a bobcat right? Yes. Bring it in Steve, they are famous for breaking that fitting when you bump them to hard. 

Thank You Sponsors!