iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying safe around machinery

Started by sawguy21, May 13, 2018, 09:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

The road in front of my home is being dug up for sewer line replacement. I keep an eye on the proceedings while walking the dog and saw something that disturbed me. A bored worker was scraping the mud from the blade of a small excavator while the operator had her back to him, I have no idea if she knew he was there. I voiced my concern to a crew member but he didn't say anything, later I reported it to city hall.
This is a contractor on a municipal project, I have to wonder if they hold the required safety meetings or if anybody pays attention. It is all too easy to get complacent around machinery. A cousin was killed when he jumped into a trench to retrieve some tools, the excavator swung pinning him against the wall.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

You did the right thing, even if the crew disagrees.  It only takes a second to ruin a couple of lives. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

We have been coached at work to speak-up anytime and always even when a "perceived in my view" safety issue arises.  U may have saved someone from an accident or worse today.

D

Hilltop366

You did the right thing.

Even if the operator knew the other person was there it is still not safe, out of sight out of mind.

Thank You Sponsors!