iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you charge for Delivery of Product?

Started by Solar_HoneyBee0, April 22, 2019, 10:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

Interesting story,  I think you handled it well,  there are all types out there that is for sure. 

I find there are those that will spend an unbelievable amount of time trying to squeeze you.  It a ego game I think, not that price doesn't matter but they exceed expected limits.  I believe they think they are savvy business people.  Then there are those who are busy with their own work, need a reputable supplier, and pay what you ask and get back to work.  People who talk way more than is called for or bring religion into a conversation where it really isn't part of what is normally expected ring the alarm bells with me.

SawyerTed

I avoid deliveries. Customers arrange transportation. I have a regular customer who sends a truck when I call or text him.  His driver delivers payment prior to loading. 

If somebody wants what I have, they will get transport worked out.  Otherwise I don't think they want what I have.  So far, I don't think I've lost any business by avoiding deliveries and I'm sawing 4 or 5 days a week as a retirement gig.

I've got a truck and trailer, USDOT number, commercial insurance etc.  Those arrangements are for my business operations which generally doesn't include deliveries.  Things are so much simpler that way.  On the rare occasion that I do deliver, it's $2 per mile round trip up to 150 miles. It just isn't worth my time to drive more than 75 miles one way.   Deliveries are banded and dumped or the customer provides unloading just like any business.

As for haggling or dickering on prices (some people think it's a game), all that occurs before the order is started.  Once a price is agreed upon, the price is the price.  I have refused to load orders when a customer tries work me over on price.  If something is wrong with the order I will correct it, which may include a discount in lieu of replacement.  The remedy is what is agreeable to both of us.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bert

I just went through something similar. If you still have the material. Id tell him hes welcome to come get them at the C price along with the former trucking bill. Every now and then it works out. 
Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!