iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM - 6' bed extension

Started by E-Tex, May 07, 2019, 01:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

I run an LT-50 and considering buying a 6' bed extension.

I mostly do mobile milling for others.  Is a bed-extension even practical for going mobile?  I'd be concerned about setting up level out on location. 

Or, are these meant for a permanent/stationary setup?

Thanks
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

GAB

If you have a cable track then a 6' extension is all you can use so I am told.  I have no experience with an LT50 or a mill with a cable track.
If you have a walk with the head mill, I would suggest buying a 12' extension.  I purchased a 6' extension and it was a mistake.  First time I used it I needed a 12'.
When the extension bed is bolted to the main mill, in my case, the mill is no longer mobile.
My reply to your question: Is a bed-extension even practical for going mobile?
Is the job large enough to warrant the work involved in mating the two in the field and unmating when the job is complete?  I would be charging a handling/set-up charge.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dave Shepard

I think Jim Rogers goes mobile with his 6' extension, but I don't know if he takes it apart to move it. 

I got a 24' extension, and the first time I used it. I needed a 6' also. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

E-Tex

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 07, 2019, 08:16:05 PM
I think Jim Rogers goes mobile with his 6' extension, but I don't know if he takes it apart to move it.

I got a 24' extension, and the first time I used it. I needed a 6' also.

@Jim_Rogers   -  do you go mobile with a 6' extension? 
Is it a major pain to set up and get level out on a jobsite......(on not so perfect, level ground)?
Thanks!
Dave - that's impressive.  I'd love to be a  part of milling timbers that length sometime!  Very Impressive.
L2 Sawmill LLC

Jim_Rogers

I have taken it to job sites. But I trailer it or have a friend with a pickup and tailgate crane move it for me to the site.
I don't try and take it with/on the mill.
I don't have any problems setting it up on gravel driveways or other hard surfaces.
Takes about an hour to hook up or un-hook. I charge an extra fee for moving it and for sawing longer than 16' on site.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

E-Tex

L2 Sawmill LLC

thecfarm

Dave,I always enjoy seeing that picture.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!