iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacement trees at Mt Vernon

Started by Don P, August 07, 2001, 03:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Just caught the report on the news the other night and thought you all might be interested.
There are 13 trees remaining at Mt Vernon that were planted by George Washington. A crew is taking samples of these to make clones (tissue culture?) to replace them when the time comes. Apparently when GW did the original landscaping he rode the estate and marked suitable trees which were then transplanted around the homesite.

Ron Wenrich

The American Forestry Assn. offers all sorts of seedstock from historic trees.  These include famous battlesites, historical sites, and trees that famous people planted.

I would think there are some there from Mt Vernon.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RavioliKid

One of my "projects for someday" is to have the kids raise money and create a "forest" of those historic trees on the school grounds.

Isn't it something that we have trees that we know George Washington was involved with? Wouldn't it be something to get a slice of one of those trees when they finally have to be removed? The history of the country right there in the growth rings!

RavioliKid

Jeff

If anyone would like me to send them the booklet Famous and Historic Tree (Information on and how to order historic tree stock). Email me your address. I have 7 copies to give. Rav you get one off the Top.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

Thanks, Jeff!

I have one of those booklets from last year, so if you get a bunch of others interested in them, feel free to skip me.

See, it wasn't so much a "theoretical" someday. I actually had made some moves toward actually doing it!

;)
RavioliKid

timberbeast

I just visited Monticello,  and they have a complete garden store with seeds from Jefferson's plantings.  Not sure if you can order them over the web,  but there is a website.  I think a search with Monticello would bring it up.  Good luck!
Where the heck is my axe???

Thank You Sponsors!