iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodlandPro Chainsaw Chains

Started by luvmexfood, July 31, 2013, 11:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Has anyone used these chains from Bailey's and if so what is your opinion? They have the size I need 18" on sale now and the price is half what a Stihl chain is. They are US made by Carlton.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

HolmenTree

Carlton is good chain ,good buy with money saved. At one time I remember they came from the factory honed sharp, the gullet and under the cutting edge was polished like chrome. Was at the time the only out of the box pre sharpened chain that I knew of.
At that same time Oregon did something different ,they coated the top half of the cutters with a bright red rubber coating they claimed protected the cutting edges during shipping. They advertised no need to manually remove protective covers just cut with it normally and covers will displace.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Blount has acquired Carlton. So the puzzle is 'which is which'. Is a Carlton sawchain actually an Oregon sawchain or vice versa.
Carlton guidebars are now the 5 rivet Windsor types.
Carlton chainfiles are no longer from Portugal.They are from Switzerland now.
The packing quality has improved.Whether the improvement extends to their products, is to be seen.
But, coming back to the original question, are the current Woodland Pro chains still from Carlton or elsewhere ( smiley_chinese).

PS
Just visited the Bailey's website. Their Chain is still from Carlton

Vance in AK

I've had good look with them on a Stihl 026 & a Jonsered 670.  I was using the chisel chain.  Stay sharp & durability seems to be on par with Stihl.  I can buy 3 of them for the price of 2 chains from my Stihl dealer.

HolmenTree

Quote from: joe_indi on July 31, 2013, 12:23:44 PM
Blount has acquired Carlton. So the puzzle is 'which is which'. Is a Carlton sawchain actually an Oregon sawchain or vice versa.
But, coming back to the original question, are the current Woodland Pro chains still from Carlton or elsewhere ( smiley_chinese).

PS
Just visited the Bailey's website. Their Chain is still from Carlton
Oregon/Blount  bought out the Carlton company but I believe the Carlton plant is still running as it always was. If Oregon was to manufacture the Carlton chain they would have added the Anti Vibe cutter design to the Carlton chain. I see no Anti Vibe arrow on the Carlton cutter and still looks like it did 30 years ago, so it's still gotta be Carlton made.
Bailey's Woodland Pro is just a rebadged Carlton sawchain,just like what Husqvarna and Laser has done with Oregon.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

luvmexfood

Think I will try some. At 12.99 on sale that is just a little over half of what I paid for the last Stihl chain I bought. If they are no good then it just gives proof to the old saying. " A fool and his money will soon part". Let's go eat supper. Having one of my favorites. Chicken legs. The only food that mother nature created with a built in handle for eating. Thanks to all that replied.

Al_Smith

:D I got some 20" loops a few years back which were on sale for about 10 a pop .3/8" 50 chisel .It cut good until I filed them .

What in the world did I do wrong ?My Lawd I've filed chains for 40 years and never had that problem .Good old Frank AKA "Crofter "from Canada showed my the errors of my ways .I had filed a compound angle like it were Oregon but the cutter design wasn't made for it .Filed it flat across and it cut fine .They may have changed the cutter design by now though .

JohnG28

I have a few of them, chisel and semi chisel.  They have lasted well and I haven't seen anything wrong with them, not the price for sure. Cheaper to buy and ship from California than buy locally.  I also filed them wrong at first, but 0 degb across the top and no problems otherwise.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

NCFarmboy

IMO Carlton chain is good chain.  I buy every spool I can get when I can get it cheap.  Stihl chain is the best tho.  Not worth the diff in price.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

sharkey

What is the word on the 'Laser' chain that is advertised as being made in the USA?  Is it also rebranded Carlton?

CTYank

Bought a few loops, 3/8" semi & 3/8" LP, recently. Without having a Rockwell tester handy, the cutters are pretty hard, and "hold an edge" well.

Some of the loops are just over 1/2 the price of Stihl loops from local dealer, from Baileys. So, if you bundle an order to keep shipping costs down, it's a good buy. (Some of them came with freebies of ~6 oz bottles of synth mix oil besides.)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

luvmexfood

I received my chains Friday along with some other things I ordered. Has rained here most all last week and this week looks the same. Wednesday and Thursday the rain chance is only 30% so maybe I can try one out then. Doing small time logging only cutting trees that are starting to damage. A lot of them are poplar that start to rot on the bottom and works it way up the inside of the tree. Have a tractor and skid them down to a old farm road and parbuckle them onto a trailer and pull with a pick-up. Only about 5 miles on backroads to the log yard. Trouble is it has to be pretty dry to get them out. Makes me a little money and the trees don't cost anything. I will report on the chains after I have time to use them some.

luvmexfood

Okay I said I would report on the Woodland Pro Chains after I had a chance to use them. So far my results have exceeded my expections. As good as, if not better, than the Stihl chains I have been using and about half the price on sell. Luckly I bought three while they were on sale.

I like to support local businesses if the price is close but when there is a big difference then I need my money worse than they do. Never hurts to shop around.

Was going to buy a part for a tractor the other day. NO local dealer anymore. Started to purchase and order from a place but noticed an ebay ad came up. Different company, same identical part. From the place I normally order parts. $228.00 plus shipping. The ad from Fleabay was a tractor dealer actually closer and was $142.00 plus free shipping. Part has been installed and worked great.

LAZERDAN

OK  I know this is a old topic.   But Baileys has a saw chain sale, 10 for$ 100   any body ever see or order these sale chains and free shipping ???????????????    Lazerdan

OH logger

maybe I sharpened them wrong too cause I thought they sucked real bad. >:( cheap aint cheap if it cuts slower
john

caveman

I have been using Carlton/Woodland Pro for a few years now.  I started buying them when Baileys was a sponsor.  I ordered 10 loops for a saw we have at the high school.  Those loops should finish out my career and that of the 12-14 year old Husqvarna 350.  It cuts fast enough for me.
Caveman

John Mc

I used to use some Carlton/Total/Woodland Pro chain.Ran into some problems with hard spots on the chain - I couldn't touch some of the depth gauges with a file, and more rarely, some of the teeth (and these were chains which had never been on a grinder, so it wasn't a problem with air-hardening).  Other than that, they did cut OK, especially after someone on here (possibly Al Smith?) clued me in that they need to be sharpened a bit differently than Oregon chain.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

joe_indi

They are the Carlton A3 LM Magna Chisel chains. Superb chains till they are filed for the first time. If the file size is not right the cutters lose their 'magic'.
This usually happens with a regular Stihl saw chain user uses his 5.2mm file at 30deg angle instead of a 5.5mm file at 35deg angle.

John Mc

Are they the chains that don't like the 10˚ down angle on the file as well?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LAZERDAN

Now I don't know if thier worth ten bucks ? 

Thank You Sponsors!