iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought me a NEW tractor

Started by Magicman, March 21, 2013, 09:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yeah right, new in 1983.  We have had a continual "need" for a small tractor so let's see how this works out.  A Ford F-1500 which included a 4' "bushhog".  The plan is for "Fat Albert" to finally make a one way trip to the Tree Farm.  Marty will replace it with a smaller backhoe, and Blue Boy can be used wherever it is needed.

Blue Boy is a two cylinder 20 hp Diesel.  Four speed with three ranges, making 12 forward and 4 reverse.

I believe that the rear tires are original, so he gets a new pair of shoes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Looks good. Hope the tractor will work out for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Now thats nice, are you going to repant the wheels and fenders too. that would top it off, Good luck with it smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

julio

hold on when you get  the tire price    :-[ :'(
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

WDH

When you get the tire price, more than the tractor will be blue  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I checked the tire price and availability before I bought the tractor.  $435 for two rear tires, tubes, mount, & taxes :o and I only gave a thousand for the tractor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

julio

im coming to ms. to buy my tires i cant buy them wholesale that cheap
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

ChopperDan

Good deal.  ;D  Wish I could find deals like that here. Good luck with it.

Dan
550xpg
562xp
Makita 6421 converted to 7900 X2
Hd SuperSpitter

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Holmes

Quote from: clww on March 21, 2013, 10:49:09 PM
Another new toy? ::)

DanG thats not a toy, thats quipment... 8)
Think like a farmer.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2013, 09:17:33 PM
The plan is for "Fat Albert" to finally make a one way trip to the Tree Farm.  Marty will replace it with a smaller backhoe, and Blue Boy can be used wherever it is needed.

Magic, my heart was racing there for a minute. I saw you saying Fat Albert would make a one-way trip, and before I could read more, I feared the worst.

PLEASE tell me you will never take Fat Albert to the scrap yard. He is a classic, and a proud son of a high lineage.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Nice little tractor. ;D I've always thought of a small tractor, but my land up on the woodlot would make it difficult to not scare up the wet dips. So I woke up from that day dream. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

What's with the tires they don't look that bad in the picture ?

Magicman

Al, I agree looking at the pictures.  They are the same age as the tractor; 30 years old and really cracked and broken.  It was dark when I brought it home, but they will get a closer look today.  If I do not see any broken cords, etc. maybe they are better than I thought.  I also may be able to read the ply rating.  I do know the size is 9.5 - 24.

thecfarm

Neighbor up the road brought an older tractor with the original tires on it last early summer. He called me up late fall wanting to know who does my tires. He used it all that summer before the tires went on it. I would use it until the tires go on it. Field work they should last a while,but put the tractor in the woods, I don't think they would last long,if they are bad.Get the same type of tires too. Don't get those DanG "r" tires. I think turf tires are better than those are.  ::) And yes,I've had both the ag and the r for tires and I have turf tires too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I have never used anything other than Ag tires and I am familiar with turf tires, but you caught me off guard with the "r" tires?

chevytaHOE5674

I'll bet he is talking about the R-4 construction tires.

Technically:
"ag" tires are R-1's
Turf tires are R-3's
Rice and cane's are R-2's

So almost all tractor tires are "r" tires...

thecfarm

I this area I can drive by just about any place that sells new tractors and they have the r tires on them. They are wider,but not as deep cleats. Just about take yours cleats and push them down about 2 inches. That will make them narrow and wider. I see skid steers have them too.

Mark K

Good find. Those were a tough little tractor. I worked on quite a few when I worked for New Holland. Glad to see its not 4 wheel drive. Parts were becoming obselete for the front end. Just keep the glow plugs maintained and don't use either. Either was death to those little engines.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

beenthere

The rims will pretty much dictate what tires can be put back on.  And that size there will likely be very few to no choices.
R-4 industrial have smaller diam rims and wider, but come in higher ply ratings than the AG tires.
Turf I understand are thin walls with lower ply ratings than the AG tires.

When I sold my '58 420 JD it still had the original tires. A cut on the inside sidewall of one showed the tube for a good 15 years and I used it in the woods 40% of the time with a brush hog too. I was concerned, but at that time could not find replacement tires so kept using it. The treads were good and the hours not too many. That was 40 years on those tires.  That two-banger will sound some like this 420 JD.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I just spent some time giving the tires a good lookover.  They are cracked, etc. but they have about half tread and there are no cuts.  I will not replace them until one of them pops.

Chuck White

Nice tractor you found, Lynn.

Most likely there's a lot of life left in it, also looks like it has been taken care of!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That blue paint helped.  Marty now has the job of repainting the fenders.   ;D

Al_Smith

They evidently did not test the Ford 1500 at Nebraska but they did the diesel 1510 version .Test number 1500 of 1983 indicates bare weight at 2230 pounds ,max HP 19.72 .Max pull as per test was a tad over 1000 pounds .

I'd say though if a person could get a log up on the three pount hitch it could pull more than that ,might not be able to turn the load though without some front end weight .

Those tires are the same size as a Allis B or C .The saving grace is unlike the old AC tires those are probabley nylon cord instead of cotton .

If a person could find some old fashion tire paint it will tend to block the ultra violet rays of the sun which is what causes the tires to check .Might preserve them a few more years .I checked it out on the net and they still sell it ,around 20 a quart which will do 4-6 tires that size .

Good score BTW for a thou .

Thank You Sponsors!