iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Top twenty forestry questions???

Started by Gordon, November 10, 2002, 10:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saki

Sorry Guys, I can't resist. Had this alot when I worked at a nature center in my college years.

Ring, Ring. (me) Hello, Nature center, may I help you?

(them) Yeah, I got this tree in my backyard and I was wondering what kind it is.

(me) Well, I will try to help you, what can you tell me about it, for example, how large, what kind of leaves or needles does it have Etc, Etc, Etc.

(them) Well, it isn't a great big tree, but its not little either. The leaves are green and sort of round, but might have a little point on them in places, and the bark is kind of dark grey, not real dark, not real light, not real smooth, but not real rough.

(me) Well, can you be a little more specific, from your description so far, there are a lot of things it could still be .

AND MY SUGGESTION FOR THE MOST COMMONLY ASKED QUESTION IS......

(them) Don't you know? You're supposed to be the forester. :D :D :D

Gordon

Dang you guys are good, hit the numbers right on the head for trees per acre. That toolbox on the left sidebar sure does have some handy stuff in it.

Or another good question is---How is a timber contract inportant and why? Any takers on this one?

Gordon

Ron Scott

A contract establishes agreement between the purchaser and the seller and spells out the terms and specifications as to how the timber is to be harvested and what performance is expected from the purchaser.

With a contract, the seller can manage the timber harvest to meet their intended objectives. Without a contract, the seller is at the mercy of the logger and gives them their choice of what they want without any terms to meet best mangement practices on their timber land.

Having a contract is just good common sense if you value your timber and its associated resource values.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Tree ID

We have a local tree trimmer who is pretty good with tree identification.  One little old lady asked him what type of tree was in her backyard.

He looked the tree over and didn't have a clue.  But, he had to give her an answer, since he was a tree expert.  Not to look the fool, he answered "Why, lady, that's a wooden tree".

She said "Thank you.  I've always wondered what it was, now I know".

Contracts

Contracts are only worth as much as the people signing on the dotted line.  I've seen contracts that look good, but payment schedules are a little fuzzy.  

If the buyer doesn't want to put money up front, I'd walk away from the deal.  They have no risk.  If there is no bond or cash to recover damages, the buyer has even less risk.

Before harvests of any type, research who is doing your work.  Don't rely on past clients, since referrals will only be on good jobs.  

If you have to take things to court, you end up losing time and money.  And, there still is no guarantee you will get paid.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gordon

Ok here are a couple of simple questions dealing with gps uses and forestry related surveys.

As a landowner can I use my gps to mark out my boundries before I have my land timbered? If I do decide to use it how accurate is it? Does it work better at some times of the day than others? What are some other uses that a gps might come in handy? Like point sampling or to mark out 10 or 20 acre tracts.

Any takers?

Gordon

Ron Scott

A GPS Unit will do all of the above, but it depends upon the quality of the Unit one has and its specific software programs. One can map points, lines, and areas quickly and easily. A survey grade unit is best for accuracy rather than one of the many sportsman models on the market though they are improving right along.

I'd recommend at least a Trimble GeoExplorer 3 handheld GPS. Also get trained in their use. It's amazing what you can do with them.  
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!