iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I heard

Started by trimguy, July 28, 2020, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron barnes

I am certain that you will love the 37" width.  Congratulations.

trimguy

Mooseherder

At first look I thought you got an atm machine. :D

VB-Milling

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 03, 2021, 08:30:51 PM
At first look I thought you got an atm machine. :D
I thought it was an SCMI planer at first and started to get flush with jealousy!
Regarding RPCs...
I know its tough to plan when this stuff just kinda falls into your lap, but take a few mins to think about any more 3ph equipment you may add to your shop and what may be running concurrently.  Size your RPC accordingly.  Oversized is fine...undersized, well :-[
HM126

trimguy

:D I need an ATM , this hobby is expensive. 🙄  Yes the problem is I don't know what I need until the right deal comes across my plate. The sander has a 20hp motor, so 40hp converter. Realistically would I need anything bigger than that ? I will have to say my wife is on board, at least for now. :laugh: 

VB-Milling

I can't imagine you'd need anything bigger than 40hp for a RPC.

If you go that route, I suggest having a dedicated 3ph sub panel. Probably standard on an all in one unit from a company like American Rotary, but I rolled my own.

In my shop, I have my 200amp house panel on the left, the 3ph panel upper right and the 3ph controller panel bottom right. The motor is in the attic and out of the way.

HM126

trimguy

Thank you for the information and the pictures. I will put in a 3 phase panel and feed different outlets off of it. The attic is a great idea, out of the way and I'm sure less noise. 

VB-Milling

Quote from: trimguy on October 05, 2021, 07:44:43 PM
Thank you for the information and the pictures. I will put in a 3 phase panel and feed different outlets off of it. The attic is a great idea, out of the way and I'm sure less noise.

You're very welcome.

My compressor, the motor for the RPC and my dust collection system are all in the attic.  Yes, its a slightly more harsh environment, but I keep the temps down with an exhaust fan with a t-stat.  It really makes a difference in the noise level and space savings, so I think its absolutely worth the effort if you can swing it.
HM126

trimguy

I Was out of town last week and I ran across a deal on this while I was there.

So now I don't need a converter. It's a 26 kW generator, already set up for three phase . So, some wiring and I should be up and running.

trimguy

I just had something else follow me home. 😁  It needs Cleaning up and some TLC.

trimguy

A couple more pictures. Does anybody know where I can find some information on this machine? I'm not sure if I just need to clean everything, or if I will need some replacement parts.

Old Greenhorn

I did some searching on the Crescent 1905 patent and the models I found are a LOT older than what you have there. I've refurbed a bunch of machines in that ag group over the years, and I would just start to take the sections apart, clean them up, get them sliding and moving and move onto the next section until you find something broken or worn through, then start figuring it out. As long as it's not a cast part, you can usually machine a new one. Assuming all the parts are there. Nice machine with a lot of throat, looks like over 20" but not a lot of head room. Does it have a gear box or is it a wood machine only? Is there a nameplate on it anywhere?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

This plate is on the motor. I did not see a plate anywhere else on the machine other than the cast name and the number 771. I assumed it was pretty old, all the covers are wood and have been put on at a later date.

trimguy

It does not have a gearbox. It has a 26 inch throat ( 24 inches with cover closed ) And 7 inches of headroom.

Walnut Beast

Nice score! Love the vintage stuff 

Larry

I had the same saw for a few years.  This was maybe 25 years ago so my memory might not be perfect.  It did not come with a motor and had a lot of play in the babbitt bearings.  I pulled it apart and got lucky.  It still had shims in the bearings so I removed a couple and tightened everything up.  Guides were wore, but I was able to adjust so they worked fine.  The tires were no good.  I called Bobby, the owner of Woodworkers Tool Works, and he got me fixed up in that department.  I still get most of my blades from him.  I'm sure I researched https://www.owwm.org/ for info when I first got it. 

It was a pretty good saw, but no dust collection or guards so I sold it when I made the move to Arkansas.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tacks Y

Trimguy, have you looked at the Old Wood Working Machines site? There is a library of machine manuals I think vintage machines.  Good luck.

trimguy

trimguy

I got it cleaned up and a little paint. I have to sand and wax the bed and get new belts for it still. @Larry , I gtalked to Bobby last week and have tires and blades coming, seems to be a nice and knowledgeable person. What kind of oil did you use for babbet bearings ?

Larry

New life for a great bandsaw! Excellent work.

Been to many years since I had my saw to remember what oil I used.  Just guessing, but I think 20 or 30W non detergent would be a good choice.  Most important is that they are kept lubricated.  A oil cup or drip oiler would be nice.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

trimguy

Thank You Sponsors!