iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diggin it. YES I CAN!

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2022, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

8) 8) 8) 8) Drive it home. Brakes are a luxury. You've got one side. Drive it around his place to see how it handles and head out. I'd be leery loading it on a trailer though. Ernie Vallier, Vallier Trucking used to haul for Ponsse. He's out of St. Ignace. He used to pick up loads down here as fillers if there wasn't a back haul for Ponsse. Ernie may have retired but last I heard his son was doing it. Google Vallier Trucking for a #. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

As an aside, all the farms around here use excavators (not minis though).  Roads, stumping Christmas trees, drainage work, cleaning up old building sites, brushing field edges with hydroaxe head.  Been a guy all winter doing field edges, snow's no object. ;D

A mini would come in handy smoothing my hummocky trails. But the thing is clearance overhead, suddenly narrow trails are wide trails because of limbs rubbing the cab. I'll take the hummocks, throw some spruce rails across the bad dips. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

Congratulations Jeff! Backhoe buying day is a big day!

Other have mentioned it but get ready for people to ask for help when you have it. I suggest "helping" for inflated prices. I didn't do that and now I'm kind of the nice guy, with a backhoe, that'll help the neighbors. For what it's worth a lot of people will make some good trades for backhoe work. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

YellowHammer

Congratulations!  

I had a tractor that didn't have brakes from the first day I owned it to the day I sold it.  

The heel of the front end loader bucket pressed to the ground is the best "hand brake" around.  The only time I wished I had real brakes was when I slowed to a stop on one of our local asphalt roads and when I drove down it later I saw I had "rubbed off" off a couple of the road reflectors that mark the center line.   Oops.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

the L brake has not really worked on my JD 850 since I got it.  always tilled the garden in a clockwise direction so I could augment the steering in the loose soil.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Doc
Brakes on the JD 850 are pretty straight-forward to fix. Exposed for easy repair, and maybe just new brake shoe and adjustment. Hope not a seal leaking oil onto them.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10180/Brakes_JD850.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1680016077

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/70311/referrer/navigation/pgId/212714807
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Thanks BT.  I have only had it for 30 years, so maybe time to fix it.  :) :) :)  My buddy Dallas occ. roads it 2 miles to his place, but usually trailered.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Here is maybe a starting place for the Case 580E brake work.
Case 580e Brakes adjustment Service - YouTube

See link to a manual, but suspect you already have that.
Case 580e Super 580 E Backhoe Loader Service Repair
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

aigheadish

I feel like it's already known but I love the guys over there like I do here... 

Heavy Equipment Forums

Tons of backhoe info, a bunch of good guys who want to help, and bs. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Southside

Wait Are you saying there is another Forum out there on the internet?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Um, Ill try to get my info here on this forum thankyou. :)

Jeff

The first act of prudence. I drove over this afternoon to check out the route home. About 4 miles of it is back hilly gravel roads, and several of the grades are solid white ice. I dug several holes in my sleep last night.

Patrick NC

Congratulations on the purchase.  Case backhoes from that Era are relatively simple and known to be reliable. One thing that most people don't know is that Caterpillars first backhoe used the Case design for the hoe part. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

beenthere

Quote from: Jeff on March 28, 2023, 07:36:48 PM
Um, Ill try to get my info here on this forum thankyou. :)
Forum etiquette, as I understand, is to refrain from pointing out other forums. just sayin... 
south central Wisconsin

Resonator

Gravel road is good. Traffic probably goes slower, and if you have to "drag anchor" to slow down you won't gouge the blacktop.  move_it
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

Are you having a sleep over there with it tonight? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

aigheadish

I hope it's understood that my mention of the "other forum" on the internet wasn't to discount any knowledge or experience here. They spend their days elbow deep in grease, where here it's elbow deep in sawdust. Different expertise for different subjects. 

We'd have a lot less experience or knowledge going around online if we didn't have other avenues to explore or links to share.

For what it's worth I'm sure I've also shared links to the forestryforum.com more than any others. 

Don P

Wait for it to open up to move it :) FWIW I don't think there is a really functioning brake on any of the equipment here. Not good and not by intention!

Now once it is on site, they are very capable machines. The other day I mentioned that when you are building I call it running for the roof. The second you start building you are fighting the weather, and it will accommodate you  :D. The sun broke out, Michelle hiked up the mountain and began getting the snow and ice off the deck. We had a large beam to set to her left. This was that bugger winter 2011/12, I've just gotten to the top. I borrowed a backhoe in the neighborhood and hiked it up the mountain. I can't remember which, its been too long but it was in that size. I don't believe I ever had a rear on the ground. I came up from the right and it is almost that bad.   They are handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Remle

I'm sorry folks. But any thing with out a working brake system IMHO is just an accident in waiting. Case in point, my good friend, mechanic by trade was pulling a truck into his shop, to raise it up with his lift to fix the brakes, ( he knew they weren't working ), got the front end on to the floor and had to give it a little gas to get the rear end in. Then in that split second (he saw in slooooooooow motion Murphy showed up ) he realized that it wouldn't stop before he hit the back wall of his shop. Not only did it rearrange the wall, it caused minor damage to the truck, he pierced the hood of the truck with a nail. Moral to the story, FIX your brakes before Murphy shows up. I personally have two things I want to happen, 1) start when i hit the key and 2) stop when i hit the brake !!

doc henderson

on cars and trucks the old emergency brakes still work if the hydraulic part is broken.

Jeff

This won't budge with rhe emergency brake pulled

Mooseherder

Is it too big to load on a rollback flatbed?

chevytaHOE5674

Would have to check height but it would be very close to overheight on a rollback. Also would need a tandem axle rollback.

Resonator

You'd be over height on a roll back (guessing close to 15'). :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!