iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Osage Orange or Hedge as we call it. Is there a market?

Started by Ronnie, July 31, 2011, 06:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

Is there a market for it? Has any one cut it for lumber? Decks? Laminated beams or long posts? Sold it?shipped it? I know bow makers like it. It's so abundant where I live I would like to find a market for it besides fence posts and firewood.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Kcwoodbutcher

I sell some, but not large quantities. Some has gone to bow makers, one guy was making flooring, another cutting boards, and the rest was for turning stock. The problem with it is finding straight defect free logs.  The larger logs always seem to have a split in the middle where the carpenter ants take hold and mess with the rest of the log. It's easy to dry and brings a decent price--$2.00+ a BF.  I'm filling an order for 200 feet right now.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Jeff

There is a multitude of threads in regards to osage that you can check out by using the forum search.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom L

I shot an Appalachian flatbow for 15 yrs that was osage, great bow. came out of a beautiful straight log.

you may want to advertise at some traditional archery sites, or magazines

jimparamedic

I've cut some. If it set over a week it will make a saw screeeeem. It is nice wood.Makes good wear plates and wood bearing.Just keep it greesed.Wagon wheel hubs were made of it.

Brad_bb

I've never had any.  Is it really that bad to work(semi dry or dry)?  I thought it might be interesting to use for some splines or braces or pegs in a timberframe, if it will hold some of it's color, and if I came across any. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kansas

We have cut a fair amount of osage orange here in Kansas. Most of it has been custom cutting other people's logs. Here seems to be the problem. I have yet to find a good log here in Kansas. They tend to be full of black rot and cracked. They might last forever as a fence post, but trying to get many good boards out of a log is tough. I would price it high. At least 4 dollars a board foot for high quality lumber. The best chance to get good boards are on smaller logs that grew up in the timber, not fence rows. The smaller the better. We have people ask for it, but we quit cutting it for the purpose of selling grade lumber. The yield is so bad.

I have heard the osage orange up in northern states is a lot better. I kind of concluded that it made more sense to pursue other markets, such as cedar , pallet wood, or oak.

Osage orange, like its relative mulberry, goes to a color close to walnut. Might be there is some sort of finish that can block the UV rays that changes the color.

Busy Beaver Lumber

try putting some smaller pieces on ebay. Segmented bowl turners like it for its color, although to be quite honest, it does not turn well and is tough to sand and get smooth. Nonetheless, a lot of turners like it for its distinctive color
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Larry

I sawed some for a bow maker one time.  He taught me how to saw them and what to watch for to make a good bow.  Took all morning and we got maybe 6 blanks out of a couple of logs.  Those guys are just pretty picky about the grain direction. 

I guess I would do it again but charge by the hour.  That first time I just chalked it up to a learning experience.

There are turning markets for short pieces.  Dip the ends in paraffin wax and they will keep for a long time.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pineywoods

I saw all I can get. Not very common here. It all goes to 1 customer who makes duck calls and turkey calls.  Takes a lot of sawing. He wants 6/4 X 6/4 12 inches long for the duck calls and 4/4 for the turkey pots. His products are real works of art.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodchuck53

My dad hand plaits bull whips and that is his favorite wood to make the stocks (handles) out of. I know from experience they will hold a staple real good for fencing when green.
Like they said maybe put some on EBAY for the whip makers out there also.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ely

i have a few boards in my utility room of it. it is very smooth and very nice looking with the spar varnish on it.

caz

We used for wear plates in our old 67 new holland bailer

Kansas

I had a bowmaker in yesterday, picking up a little lumber.  He said to get into better hedge, it started around the Kansas City area and gets better as you go east. I know the soil changes some when you get over there. Not sure if that would be it or not. Being you are near the far east part of the state, it might be fine where you are at. He is always looking for a little hedge for bows.

Thank You Sponsors!