iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany Seed Fruit Wedges

Started by Mooseherder, March 14, 2007, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Looks like he's in shock now.  ::) I'd keep him potted until he hardened off and plant next year.  ???

That's great that you have germination.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Problem wit dat is there is probably a couple hundred seeds in dat tray. :D
Had to pluck one to see if it was tree or weed. ;D

SwampDonkey

What ya gonna do, start a mahogany orchard?  :D I wonder how long you'll be weaving around the trees with the mower before a few get sacrificed to save your sanity. ;D  8)

I just dug a few butternut off the lawn and some oak from the garden to give to the neighbors. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Update:
Here is da Mahogany Plantation. :D
Dey are in der own biosphere. ;D

Transplanted about 50 into their own containers and continue with experiment.

SwampDonkey

Mooseherder

Mahogany Update ;D
They are doing pretty good. I transplanted most of them into temporary cups which should make it easier for next transplant. Then got them sheltered in big pots with screen on top to keep them from baking in the sun. Watering every other day.
Here is the average size now.

Here they are in the bigger pots. I got four of them full and have a couple more to fill from some that need transplanting.

Next seeds are going into cup 1 seed per.  There has to have been at least 95% germination rate. ;)

SwampDonkey

Florida's future mahogany forest is well under way.  ;D 8) hoot hoot!

Kinda my circumstance with all the new Norway and sugar maple seedlings on my front lawn. There must have been a bumper crop last fall.  ;D :D Too bad I gotta mow them off though. I'm almost tempted to let the place reforest back to the wild.  :D Now if some of those hundreds of basswood seed germinate I'll be going nuts.  Pop_corn

Dodgy Loner

I tried to plant some mahogany seeds last year (I intended to train one to be a house plant...No Swietenia, not on the carpet!!! ;)) but sadly, nary a one of them sprouted.  :(  Looks like you're having more success than I did!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Maybe you could house train a Swietenia ???
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Given the looks of the tree, it would probably be a pretty homely resident, but I'm sure I would impress all of my friends with the mahogany accents in my home ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

crtreedude

Interesting that you would have Mahogany that far north - do you know which Mahogany it is? It is true Mahogany (honduras is one name for that) Swietenia macrophylla.

We have currently about 3,000 in the nursery.  I will say to my eye, it doesn't look the same, but who knows, it might be shivering due to the cold weather...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

crtreedude

That explains it - it is different. This is known as Cuban Mahogany down here. I do believe it makes a very fine wood. I tried to get some seeds of it this year, but it wasn't available.

jim king

Please dont take me to serious as I have about 25 years in tropical forestry and have yet to see a mahogany plantation succeed.  BUT you may have discovered in Florida an isoleted group that can be propogated.  If you have and make it past the sixth year you will go down in history.  You have done what the experts have failed to do worldwide for the last fifty years if it works.  Hoping for your success.

WDH

Mahogany and chinaberry in the same family is hard to believe, but it is true :P.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

We have some Chinaberry plantations on our property that we'd be happy to get rid of.

Tom

Cut it into blocks, Seal it and find a market on the Webb.  You might have a fortune there in "turner" sales.

Dodgy Loner

I am a turner, and I definitely think Chinaberry is a beautiful wood, but most of our trees are either too small to be of use or rotten in the middle. :(  On the plus side, I do get a lot of pleasure from chunking billet after billet of Chinaberry into a roaring fireplace. ;D

crtreedude

Quote from: jim king on June 01, 2007, 10:05:43 PM
Please dont take me to serious as I have about 25 years in tropical forestry and have yet to see a mahogany plantation succeed.  BUT you may have discovered in Florida an isoleted group that can be propogated.  If you have and make it past the sixth year you will go down in history.  You have done what the experts have failed to do worldwide for the last fifty years if it works.  Hoping for your success.

Pure stands of mahogany almost never will succeed here in Costa Rica due to a butterfly that lays eggs on the tip. But, if you keep your density down and mix with other trees - you can succeed. Another method is to plant inside brush where the brush is about 20 feet tall. Seems that the bufferflies are lazy and won't fly above 20 feet...

Spanish Cedar is worse by the way.

WDH

Mother nature has her own rules, not always consistent with the whims of mankind........

Mooseherder

Here is an Update on the Mahogany Seedlings. Made a screened in Pen to shelter from Heavy Rain, Wind and insects. They are doing well so far. I only have 6 in big pots and 136 in large cups. Only 2 have not made it from the transplant. Also have a Pods worth of seeds left to plant in cups when I get a chance.

Here is one of the tallest. For comparision I placed the Wasp Spray can next to it.

Dodgy Loner

Looking good, MH!  I never knew that mahoganies started out with simple leaves.  This is turning into an interesting little experiment.

Dodgy Loner

My dad got back from a business trip to Honduras recently.  He was working with an agricultural college, and one of the sites that he toured was the experimental forestry plantations that the college is managing.

Here is a picture of a 3-year-old African mahogany (Khaya) plantation.

And here is a Honduran mahogany plantation of the same age. 

Apparently, they have lots of trouble with insects in pure plantations.  Mixed plantations work out a lot better for them.  I sure hope your experiment works out for you.  Maybe the insects that cause these problems don't exist in south FL ???

Mooseherder

I still have them in a make shift screen shelter that is exposed to all the elements except for one of the trees. Very few critters have been able to get in. :D
I did transplant the tallest into a much larger pot and moved it to the front yard without cover to continue experimenting. It was great to transplant from the styro cup into the pot.  ;) It appears to be doing well so far.
I'll take pictures when it cools down later. The heat fogged the camera up when attempting pics a few moments ago.

Mooseherder

Here is the tallest one and a pic of the top.
The healthiest looking bunch (6 with more branches and leaves) are the ones that were in larger pots from the very first transplant. Having trouble with that pic right now. Found another 4 sprouted from the second wave of seed and a new coconut sprout in the mix. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!