iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow, who bled and died here? ? ?

Started by Okrafarmer, October 23, 2012, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Ok, I know what this is, and I know a lot of us do, but let's let some of the newbies kick it around a little. Location of this brilliant red wood: South Carolina.

A buyer is supposed to come Thursday and he is looking for this and several other things for carving blanks.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Looks like it is either extremely hard wood, or the saw used to knaw through it was in need of a sharpening.

What is the diam. of the end shown?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Red Clay Hound

I know what it is. ;D  I have a bowl that Dodgy Loner turned for me made from this wood. 8)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Leigh Family Farm

Wild stab in the dark, but is the red caused by iron ferrite in the soil, like from a mine upstream?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

scsmith42

Hmm, I wonder what that wood BE......  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

Those square older guys all know what it is.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

We had one member from Texas using quite a bit of it. Don't recall what became of him. People come and go. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

it thought that they were shrubs, I didn't know they grew into trees

(it's a box elder for those that have tired of the guessing game)

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

They tap them along with sugar maples up here

Jeff

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on October 23, 2012, 08:03:08 PM
They tap them along with sugar maples up here

They could here to I suppose. I always watch for them to drip sap in the spring from a broken twig.

shelbycharger400

Jeff..
You callin me square?

kilgrosh

Nothin to do with the soil,  its a natural reaction to stress or infection.

Ship that log up here!  Id prob have every scrap of it sold!
I sell that log's cousin from up here, but it only sells if it contains atleast 20 percent red. 1 inch seems to sell the best.

Ya know it brings a smile when customers ask bout it, ask if its stained, or the ones that get scared of it cause its red, thinking its a red bacteria or red mold. Then you have to educate them.
On the subject of bacteria,  I cant find the 2 red patches that you find on wood, one is pinkish and the other is more red, but they are usually about the size of a pin head.

Dan_Shade

Okrafarmer

Quote from: beenthere on October 23, 2012, 10:33:57 AM
Looks like it is either extremely hard wood, or the saw used to knaw through it was in need of a sharpening.

What is the diam. of the end shown?

:D The saw was dull. Good observation.

I cut several pieces, and they were several different diameters, so I am trying to remember which piece this was. I think this was the biggest one and it would be somewhere around 12 inches.

This kind of wood (at least this particular tree) did not smell too good when cut. It was a live tree, by the way.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Square Older ???  That is not bad, that is brilliant  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Kinda hard to get the colour to stay, if only it would dry as vivde as when fresh cut...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Okrafarmer

Okrafarmer

Quote from: isawlogs on October 23, 2012, 08:31:45 PM
  Kinda hard to get the colour to stay, if only it would dry as vivde as when fresh cut...

It stays pretty well, better than many other wood colors. Some that I air-dried last year, is still about as vivid as when I milled it.

Okrafarmer

Tonight I brought the pieces down out of the woods with the Bobcat. This species has a tendency to grow up in areas that used to be pasture land, at Profdan's property. He has a fair bit of it on his land. Some of it has been dying off lately of its own accord, but this one was still fairly vibrant.

JohnW

Maybe nobody wants to call themselves a newbie.  I'm pretty sure I know what it is but I don't want to spoil the fun.  Red Clay Hound's clue seems right.  I've heard wood turners like it.  I've also heard that it's good for making bows (the archery type).  We have this tree in Indiana.  You could walk for a day and never see one, but they're around.

Am I right?  Am I right?

What you going to do with that log, Okra?

Texas Ranger

Ya know, square older, there are some that are just square, and younger. >:(
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Okrafarmer

I'm sure you probably do have it in Indiana, but I'm not real sure about the archery bows. My dad says people make bows from practically every wood out there, but I don't recall this one being particularly sought after. It is not osage orange (bodark), if that's what you are thinking.

As someone said, it is in the maple family, however the leaves are very unusual for maple.

Sorry about the newbies monicker, I guess I meant that people who didn't immediately know what it was should guess.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!