iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill shed

Started by mhasel, October 07, 2014, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOTE

Quote from: Tom King on February 03, 2020, 07:43:19 PM
I built new houses for a living, with scaffolding very similar to that, for I forget how many years until I accumulated enough real scaffolding to do a whole side of a house. Now I have enough to do a whole house, and Alum-A-Pole will almost spoil you, since you're always working at a comfortable height.

The first couple of years, before impact screwdrivers, the wooden scaffolding was put together with double headed nails.

While I had the scaffolding up, since I did everything myself, I'd completely finish one side,and then take the scaffolding down to do another side.  People would say that it looked really strange to see a house with one finished side, and the others still had solid plywood sheathing.

Your buildings look great!
Tom King, thank you for the encouragement.  I have a thread going on building my retirement home at Building our Dream Home a.k.a. Delusions of Retirement.  I just started site prep today after spending the last 2 years sawing lumber for the home, building a sawmill house and drying house, and putting up an awning for my work area in front of our barn.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Old Greenhorn

@EOTE I have been following your posts from the very beginning and I finally have to tell you I have a heck of a lot of respect for your planning, your execution, your patience, and your steady follow through. I have done similar, but no where near the scale and the commitment you are showing. Nor do I have the skills you exhibit. My admiration is hard to describe.
 I just looked up your location to see if I could wangle a visit and maybe give you a days labor in the bargain but sadly you are about 8 hours fast drive from my family seat in Texas (and I live in NY). I used to travel (fly/drive) to Waco every year or two to one of our plants, but since I got a new boss 8 years ago, he would rather send a newbie/weenie that won't make waves. ;D I visit family on the gulf coast south of Houston every couple of years and we are due for that trip soon. But it's gotta be a full day of driving and there is now way I can talk the wife into that. The only way is if we drive to Texas and stop along the way. I guess I will have to start working on that plan. ;D
 Anyway, just now some of us are really enjoying and admiring what you are doing and how you are doing it. Good on ya mate!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

EOTE

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 03, 2020, 08:34:56 PM
@EOTE I have been following your posts from the very beginning and I finally have to tell you I have a heck of a lot of respect for your planning, your execution, your patience, and your steady follow through. I have done similar, but no where near the scale and the commitment you are showing. Nor do I have the skills you exhibit. My admiration is hard to describe.
I just looked up your location to see if I could wangle a visit and maybe give you a days labor in the bargain but sadly you are about 8 hours fast drive from my family seat in Texas (and I live in NY). I used to travel (fly/drive) to Waco every year or two to one of our plants, but since I got a new boss 8 years ago, he would rather send a newbie/weenie that won't make waves. ;D I visit family on the gulf coast south of Houston every couple of years and we are due for that trip soon. But it's gotta be a full day of driving and there is now way I can talk the wife into that. The only way is if we drive to Texas and stop along the way. I guess I will have to start working on that plan. ;D
Anyway, just now some of us are really enjoying and admiring what you are doing and how you are doing it. Good on ya mate!
Old Greenhorn, you have absolutely humbled me with your praise.  I really don't know where to begin but maybe start by telling my wife all those nice things. ;D ;D :D  No, really, she appreciates what I am doing and supports it 110%.  She still works full time but she comes over (200 miles one way) on the weekend to help me.  
You are always be welcome to come by to visit.  Jacksonville is about 4 hours east of Waco and I think its about 3 hours from the north side of Houston so Galveston is probably another hour and a half if you have to drive through Houston.  Either way, if you decide to, just give me a holler.
As far as my skills and patience and other traits, I have to say I am my own worst critic.  I always review what I have done and try to learn how to improve on it; even if I did a great job.  I always see the things I could have done better.  I am also curious and have never been afraid to learn a new skill.  I also value input from others because they see things in a different perspective than I do and often times can offer their experiences or knowledge.  The more I learn the less I know...I guess that is my addiction.
Thanks.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Old Greenhorn

Indeed, I have suspected for a while that we are of like minds, but you seem to learn much better from all those 'lessons' than I do. :D
 You are closer than I had thought. My cousins I visit are in Angleton, Lake Jackson (my Uncle Gus designed the city of Lake Jackson as a side job in the evenings), and Freeport on the coast. I don't expect to ever get back to Waco since I will retire (hopefully) in a few months. Sounds like you are about 5 hours north. I just have to wait for the opportunity and I am patient. Of course, that may mean we are sitting on the porch of your finished home by the time I make it. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Cruiser_79

Nice sheds you all have! Great inspiration. 
Don't wanna highjack this topic but need some advice as well. Just bought a 'new to me' mill, a Mebor. We can pick it up next week together with an old edger. I was thinking of building a back drag feature on the machine, with a roller table and a kind of sorting/storing table next to the edger. Big and heavy beams I would like to take of the mill with the chain turners back on the loader forks. 
But in this topic I also see edgers parallel to the mill instead of in line, is that a better solution than in line? I have the feeling I might miss something  :) 
I want to start milling some silverpine for building a simple shed, and I'm figuring out or it's better to make it long and narrow, or short and wide. 

caveman

Eote's shed is nice enough to live in.  Mine was built on the cheap and we added a little on to it today.  Last Saturday we bought some used roofing metal that was about 9' long for $1 a foot to provide some much needed shade from the afternoon sun.  Ever since Hurricane Irma took our huge live oak that used to provide shade, the afternoon sawing has been uncomfortable and the mill has been subjected to the paint fading UV rays.

We cantilevered some 4" pipe out about 6' and bolted together two purlin pieces to span the width and started mounting the used roofing.  The shade is very welcome.  Snow load is not an issue and leaf load should be manageable as long as I sweep or blow off the roof once or twice a year.

John slid the "new" panels under the old ones and I screwed them down.

We may still drape a few feet of shade cloth off of the end to help later in the day.  
Caveman

WDH

That will make a huge difference.  Some like it hot, some not.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Patrick NC

Mine is a little smaller than the op was looking for, but this works for me. I can get a bobcat in and 16 foot logs. Its 20x22

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Log Jammer

Does anybody know of a quick reference for beam load calcs on these massive 20 to 30 foot spans? Or other potential joists to use for this purpose?

jeepcj779

I believe there is a calculator in the FF tool box under "Extras".

Thank You Sponsors!