iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need input

Started by Merles Okie, October 18, 2012, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merles Okie

Would like to say hello.  This is my first post (been lurking way too long).  I'll start with a little history about myself. I was born and raised on a large cattle and farming operation in Muskogee county Oklahoma.  Couldn't wait to get away at 18, but after way too long in Texas, I'm back where I started.  A few years ago I purchased an adjoining 80 acre creek bottom that has been untouched for the past 60 years.  I bought it because it has a mother-lode of large, mature hardwoods (walnuts).

Last year I purchased a new Timberking 1400 to use in both my woodworking endeavors and to build my wife's dream home.

Now for my dilemma and the question for you experienced woodsmen.  Because the land was abandoned for so long, I now have literally 100's of 8-12" diameter native pecans.  These trees look like utility poles.  They are 35-40' tall before the first limbs, and have very little upper story.  I need to remove most of these trees in order to access the large, mature hardwoods.

What do I do with these pecans?  I could cut them for firewood, chip them up for smoking or mill them.  If I mill, what's the best end product...structural timbers, framing lumber?  I'd appreciate your suggestions and input.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

MO......welcome to the forum.

Have you checked in your area to see what kind of a market there is for Pecan? I believe I would do that before I just went "nut" crazy and started dropping them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,Merles.Any market for pecan logs? I prefer to sell the logs.Seems to be if it's cut into lumber,it has to be stored,covered,than have to find a buyer. Than it has to be looked over,50 boards or 2x4 later they pick out 10 and leave you to restack for the next person that wants 10.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sawdust Lover

To bad you couldn't build some type of log outbuilding with them. Take lots of pics while building your dream home! Your about to enter some of the best moments of your life.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 18, 2012, 08:44:39 PM
Your about to enter some of the best moments of your life.

Ya know......you are sooo right. Good reply SL    smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

NWP

Firewood and market it to BBQ's and people with smokers.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

hackberry jake

Quote from: NWP on October 18, 2012, 08:53:10 PM
Firewood and market it to BBQ's and people with smokers.
that's what I was thinking as well, being that small and pecan, I wouldn't cut boards out of gem unless you are going into the wooden pretzel business.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

With logs that size, most every board will be influenced by the pith, which will cause cracks and checks in any lumber that you produce.  Even if you "box the heart" where the pith is contained in a thick timber, the timber will split and check real bad.  Pecan is also not an easy wood to dry straight.  You end up with a lot of crooks and waves in the lumber that you cannot do anything about except cut them out, significantly reducing yield. 

I agree with the option to harvest the trees and mill the wood into a product that would appeal to people for cooking or BBQ restaurants that would use pecan wood as smoking wood.  You will have to do some research, but there is a lot of BBQ produced in that area of the world, and pecan is one of the best, if not the best, wood for BBQ.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

If you cant find a good market and ya got a whole bunch of it, cut em and build your wife's dream house. It will make 2x4 and 2x6 put them up green and you will get by ok. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Remember:

Pecan =  smiley_devil  :).  That is a well documented fact here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I guess it's either that or pulpwood. Seriously, if you can find the market for the smoker wood, that's what to do.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hackberry jake

You might see if there is a pallet lumber cutting sawmill nearby. There is one about 3 miles from my house and hey take smaller diameter trees at tree length, they don't pay much but it would be Better than nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum Mate as Sawdust Lover said your just about to enter some of the best moments of your life Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

As  others have said firewood from the tops and slab wood and you could either do crane mat timbers or dunnage out of the larger logs just to get them out of the road  so you can get the walnut ;) ;D ;D 8)

Dont be a stranger and keep us posted Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

1woodguy

Welcome to the forum

Another okie
Just so happens I live in Muskogee county also
In the corner where it sequoyah and Cherokee counties meet
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Ron Wenrich

Logs that size will not produce much wood for the amount of time it will take to saw it.  Sawing costs would be very high.  Firewood or smoking wood are the best options. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Leigh Family Farm

Welcome to the Forum! Don't know if this is a viable option but since you are building your dream home, you ever thought about split rail fencing with the pecans? I don't know how long they would last outdoors but at least you could use them on your property. Then once you get the house built, take the fencing down and chop it up for firewood. Good luck and keep us posted! Take a picture or two...cause we like pictures!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

WDH

Pecan does poorly outside exposed to the elements.  Very poorly, in fact.

Merles Okie

Hey guys , appreciate very much your comments and input.To 1woodguy , I'm on the south end of the county- off I-40 and
Ross Road. Fin and Feather brings back fond memories, good food and remember the skating rink? Anyway back to the topic,
I have to clear these pecans to gain access also to allow my next generation of black walnuts to flourish, just looking for the
best way to utilize this resource. I was already seriously looking into marketing this pecan wood for bbq'rs I just didnt want
to miss a way to use it for lumber maybe around the farm i.e. sheds or outbuildings.Again thanks for all your input.

Okrafarmer

Pecan does have its uses. You might wish to mill up a little bit to keep for odds and ends projects where you want some good hard wood for some reason. Like tool handles, for instance. But the bulk of it is probably best utilized for firewood, smoking wood, or pulp.

WHD is right, Pecan and other hickories rot and get eaten up by bugs more quickly than many other types of wood when left around outside, or in any damp environment.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

5quarter

Maybe cut them in 10' lengths and make split rail fencing. possibly cut poles for stockade fencing. I've got  split hickory rail along one side of my garden. other that weathering they still look nice.  leave some to mature...there is a market for Pecan veneer. like Okrafarmer says, cut some of the largest trees for lumber. it's nice to have on hand.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

Maybe where you live, you don't get enough rain to worry about pecan rotting very quickly outside.

1woodguy

You got me curious
Ross rd,webber  school road and gravel road by loves all flooded and we had to go the porum way when we lived out that way near Boyer until we learned another way
Hunted and cut wood there for years
I sent you a pm
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Thank You Sponsors!