iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Box Elder

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 16, 2020, 09:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Sawed this a couple days ago. Is it Box Elder?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

stavebuyer

Not sure what you have but its not box elder. Box elder has a white flakey bark similar to Ash.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Its sure not hickory. The bark on the butt log lower down looked almost like red oak but had the warty look in the picture higher up. I just had the logs to saw and no leaves to show. It sawed easily.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Mr. Green:
All of the box elder that I have sawn had streaks of red until exposed to the air.
Did you see any streaks of red as you sawed through it?
I'm not familiar with the trees in your area, however if that log was harvested in my area I'd say 
some variety of aspen or poplar, and if it was a freshly harvested log the wood would be white.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Autocar

It looks to me like the Tree Of Heaven box elder would be a pink color when you saw it.
Bill

GullyBog

My guess Lombardy Poplar.  The bark is spot on and they get real big.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

stavebuyer

Quote from: GullyBog on July 16, 2020, 09:24:25 PM
My guess Lombardy Poplar.  The bark is spot on and they get real big.
The second cut log definitely looks like poplar/aspen family as does the color and growth rate of the wood. The bark on the butt log puzzles me.

WDH

I believe that it is sumac.  They can get large like that one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

That's a shock. I'd never have guessed that. I wish I had a better picture of the bark in the butt log (but I'm getting increasingly gun shy of my picture posting due to negative press from the west of us :D).

Gerald,

The red in the end was present on the boards which made me suspect Box elder.
Howard Green

WDH

At work we conducted a "climate survey" to get feedback from the Team on lots of stuff and there was a good bit of feedback. The Leadership Team was poring over the results and one of my team said, "It is just feedback.  That does not mean we have to do anything about it".

Hang in there, Howard.  All the Auburn graduates that I know have all developed thick skin ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Thanks Danny. I talked with a new customer yesterday who moved here from Newnan Ga and I asked if he was a bulldogs fan. He admitted he was so of course I doubled the price for my work. :D
Howard Green

WDH

:D

Probably the Woodmizer Rep.  Don't call for parts ;D.

WV Sawmiller

Dang! I knew I should have gone ahead and gotten that last spare old style LT35 gas tank from that Newnan Ga rep like Nathan mentioned a year or so back. :( 
Howard Green

kantuckid

Could it be Popple?
I've never sawed or worked it but it somewhat resembles the bark and wood. My neighbor has one beside my mailbox so I see it when I pick up my junk mail.
I think it's in the cottonwood family?
My nearest neighbor in KS lived in the main farm house that he knew had been boxed in Box elder. Years later the wood was said to be the reason the bugs came in and crawled on their drapes. They look like a lightning bug as I recall? See what's crawling on those boards?  :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!