iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with Box Elder???

Started by JB Griffin, May 26, 2014, 11:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

My maple log I bought with a few cherry and a couple small walnut, well not quite the maple I was after >:( so what can I do with this box elder log 13"x12' ???
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

Just reread my first post and thought I should clarify so What is box elder good for??
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Bandmill Bandit

Mill it!

There can be some very pretty wood in those box elder/Manitoba maple. Will often have shades of reds right into dark purples.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Sadly the red color will tend to fade, but it still makes good woodworking projects.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

The following pics are not Box Elder , I have though made some with box elder and are really nice, if I have to saye myself  ;D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

These I had some help from a beaver !  Box Elder candle holders.

Also made some from a little black birch that a beaver cut doown and left to rot....

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brad_bb

If your box elder looks anything like what I'm seeing on google images, you scored!  All streaky and cool looking for woodworking or furniture projects.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

JB Griffin

no evidence of spalting or flame on the cut ends just have to saw it and see.

GAB

Quote from: JB Griffin on May 27, 2014, 10:25:41 AM
no evidence of spalting or flame on the cut ends just have to saw it and see.

I've sawed some and there was no evidence of anything on the ends.
You have to open it to find the surprise inside.
Good Luck
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!