iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by tgabby1968, September 15, 2019, 09:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgabby1968

Finally got the mill home yesterday, it was about 15hours yesterday, with the drive and training, so only sawing yesterday was a pine log at Oregon Woodmizer. Couldn't wait to get it set up this morning. I started with a cotton wood log. Our cat had to inspect  it before I could start cutting. So ended up sawing up 4 of my crappy logs (2 cotton wood an 2 birch)to get some practice in. One thing for sure is I got a lot to learn. Started to get the hang of the controls and flipping the cants. I had several mistakes, made some cuts with no tension on the blade, pretty wavy. Rolled a gnarly cottonwood off the back. Sure was fun though.

jeepcj779

Make sure you get all those rookie mistakes out of the way as soon as possible! I put a deposit on the same mill earlier this month. I won't be picking mine up until next summer though. I'm stuck in Hawaii until I retire. I'm interested to see how things go for you with the LT50. Good luck, and have fun.

WV Sawmiller

Congrats on the new mill and don't worry about the minor mistakes. Did you ever choke the car down because you let the clutch out to fast when you were learning to drive (Or am I dating myself here)? As long as nobody is hurt and no major damage and you learned something there was value added. Keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

As they say, the only real mistakes are the ones that cut or break something.  Those are the "Oh No" moments.  Everything else is just a "Oh well" moment, and they just happen.

If you buy small spray can of orange paint, you can quickly hide the places where you saw into the mill and shine up the metal. That way people won't ask "what happened there?"
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 01, 2019, 11:51:05 PMIf you buy small spray can of orange paint, you can quickly hide the places where you saw into the mill and shine up the metal.

Not if you whack the stainless steel on the manual, extra, backstops....>:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tgabby1968

No one hurt and no scratches to paint luckily.👍I can't figure out how to post pictures, I'll keep looking to see how

doc henderson

I am not the best, but I got the forum on my phone since I take most pics with it.  then pull up the forum and log in.  go to full site, then menu, gallery, then upload pic.  you have to select a folder to put them in, then choose all photos ect.  then select the pics you want.  I have good luck up to 4 to 6 photos at a time.  more than that sometimes my phone gets overwhelmed. then they will be in your folder, and during a post you can click add photo to post, choose pic and say ok.  you will have to close that pic to see you post again.  they are several ways around it, but this is how I have ended up doing it.  look forward to some pics and welcome to the forum.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tgabby1968

Thanks doc. I was able to get pics in my album ok, but when I click on add attachment it only allows skp, xlsx, text,  doc, pdf, xls, html, etc.

doc henderson

well lets get you some help . @Jeff  .I know not all formats are supported, such as video has to be linked to a you tube account.  I have not mastered that.  It works well once you get a system going.  I used to worry about taking up too much space if I reused a pic in a post, but I guess you are just linking to the pic in the gallery, so it does not waste space.  there seems to be a reason for everything, and I think Jeff will be able to explain it for you.  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Congrats on the new mill!  I like the way Yellowhammer put it!

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 01, 2019, 11:51:05 PM
As they say, the only real mistakes are the ones that cut or break something.  Those are the “Oh No” moments.  Everything else is just a “Oh well” moment, and they just happen.
:D

Be careful and enjoy!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tgabby1968

Thanks Jeff, for some reason on my phone it doesn't have the blue photo bar, only has add attachment bar

Jeff

Not sure how that is possible. So cant help from there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tgabby1968

tgabby1968

Pic of mill sawing my 1st log at Oregon Wood-Mizer during training

Magicman

I never realized that your power source was a Cat.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jeepcj779

Over on the "Questions" thread I started when looking for a mill, you mentioned you got a used mill at a good price. From the pictures, it looks brand new. Congratulations on an excellent find.

tgabby1968

Magic Man-It is a Yanmar 47hp diesel. I was originally going to buy a new saw and wanted a diesel but I really didn't want a tier4. When I was at the Woodmizer open house in Oregon, I saw this mill sitting in the back and noticed it was a diesel and wasn't a tier4. So I started asking about it and ended up buying it that day.

CJ- it's a 2017, it does have a few oops marks on it but nothing too bad.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2019, 12:23:37 PM
I never realized that your power source was a Cat.  :o

"Magic Man-It is a Yanmar 47hp diesel."
I was referring to the Cat on top of the log in the first picture.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

looks like a tier 5 cat! :)

tgabby1968

Oh yeah that cat, she had to inspect the log. :D

Thank You Sponsors!