iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry helmet vs arborist helmet

Started by PoginyHill, June 13, 2021, 08:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Revisiting this thread and about ready to pull the trigger on a 
Pfanner
Protos forestry helmet. Are you guys that have them still pretty happy and are they pretty comfortable. I have a husqvarna one from years ago and i know it would be wise to wear it but I end up wearing radio ear protection instead. No head protection! Having a good  helmet like these would make me wear it and it seems if you get the clear lens that you could change it out and it would work fantastic for metal fabrication also.

PoginyHill

Wore them both yesterday (helmet and Pfanner pants). Still very happy with them.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Tin Horse

I've had the helmet for about 5 years now. Love it. Would never go back to anything else. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Andries

X2, what Tin Horse said.
The Senna communication earmuffs are worth it too. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old saw fixer

I'm still happy with my Protos helmet!  I'd like to try the chainsaw pants one day.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

teakwood

The chainsaw pants i use since about 10 years, i'm on my second pair. would never go back to anything else
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

How many years are these plastic hat good for?

Walnut Beast

The company says five but I bet everyone isn't switching them out unless it's a company 

Skeans1

@Walnut Beast 
For what they cost they should last longer then 5 years, here's a good question why don't more use aluminum hard hats?

Walnut Beast

It's on the way . The lens system is really slick they have. So I added a smoke lens

Walnut Beast

You guys that have these I can see why you are very happy! I'm very impressed with it. Thanks for all the feedback from you guys that have them! The sunglasses are amazing how they work and rotate up in there.  

Old saw fixer

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 17, 2023, 12:58:52 PM
@Walnut Beast
For what they cost they should last longer then 5 years, here’s a good question why don’t more use aluminum hard hats?
Are there aluminum hard hats that are still made in the USA?
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Old Greenhorn

Yep, Skull Bucket. I like mine a lot and no expiration.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Old saw fixer on January 25, 2023, 01:48:24 PM
@Walnut Beast
For what they cost they should last longer then 5 years, here's a good question why don't more use aluminum hard hats?
Baileys has two styles full brim and hard hat. But no thanks! Without integrated ear protection, face shield or different shades that flip up out of the way that's all in one package it's pretty tuff to beat that fits and is extremely comfortable that you want to wear!

Expiration or no expiration having head gear on your head is what counts. I bet if there were independent tests on the helmets after five years they would be just fine. I doubt many people are throwing their head gear out after the expiration. A good company insurance policy and old inventory roll over at companies that use them

Ianab

Plastics mostly deteriorate with UV light. I'm sure a plastic helmet would last longer than 5 years with "normal" use. But they rate it at that in case some one is using it in the desert 6 days a week. The plastic will be getting a bit brittle by then. 

For a business, replacing safety gear after 5 years isn't unusual.  It's the same with kids car seats. They have a "use by date" because the plastic tends to deteriorate from being left in a hot car, and no one knows for how long. They guarantee they will last ~7 years, after that?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Skeans1

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 26, 2023, 12:55:34 AM
Quote from: Old saw fixer on January 25, 2023, 01:48:24 PM
@Walnut Beast
Baileys has two styles full brim and hard hat. But no thanks! Without integrated ear protection, face shield or different shades that flip up out of the way that's all in one package it's pretty tuff to beat that fits and is extremely comfortable that you want to wear!

Expiration or no expiration having head gear on your head is what counts. I bet if there were independent tests on the helmets after five years they would be just fine. I doubt many people are throwing their head gear out after the expiration. A good company insurance policy and old inventory roll over at companies that use them
They do make face shields for we have one they come in both a clear shield or mesh screen. As far as hearing protection goes ear plugs are the standard but I do seem to remember seeing an add on deal with muffs. 

Hogdaddy

If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

PoginyHill

I would say about the same or maybe lighter than a typical plastic hardhat with add-on face shield and earmuffs. But the comfort makes them seem lighter whether it actually is or not. I don't have experience with aluminum hardhats.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Tin Horse

Quote from: Hogdaddy on February 01, 2023, 10:29:29 AM
How heavy is the Protos helmet?
Just checked mine. 1lb. 14 oz. Muffs/ shield/ and sunglasses.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Thank You Sponsors!