iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of your trees on the hit list for the mill

Started by Walnut Beast, February 14, 2022, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzkc

I found this one the other day and mark the gps coordinates... I guess these don't rotate, so this is me visualizing it cut down.

beenthere

buzzkc
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

You can correct your pics by going to your gallery, and there you will find the edit button to rotate them right side up.  

Interesting tree formations.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Prizl tha Chizl

Black walnut. 24"dbh That first crotch is almost 16' up. I noticed the woodpecker hole near the top last winter. We hire a mill every few years and use all of our wood, we don't sell any logs. I'm done with my looking for this round and will have the mill out soon, and am trying to decide if this should go on the stack now or later. If I mill it now I'll have to stack it outside for a year or two, if I mill it later I might be able to put it right inside.tu
"The Woods Is My Church"

Prizl tha Chizl

"The Woods Is My Church"

IndiLina

Stopped by my tract in Indiana to try to come up with a plan of what to harvest first.   
Here are some pics of the contenders.  
35" dbh Burr Oak 

32" hickory.   

Not a likely contender, but here's a 30" black walnut.  

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

beenthere

Nice trees. 
Hopefully you cut the vines growing on them, after you took their pictures. They will cause havoc with the tree tops and could cause decline in tree growth. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IndiLina

Quote from: beenthere on July 04, 2022, 10:56:31 AM
Nice trees.
Hopefully you cut the vines growing on them, after you took their pictures. They will cause havoc with the tree tops and could cause decline in tree growth.
Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time cutting vines yesterday. Had to get the chainsaw out for some of them. If you look at the left side of the hickory pic, you'll see one cut in half. Waiting to see if I'll break out today from poison ivy. 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

OutlawB52

Never thought of developing a hit list . I must be getting old. lol . I love it . 

ehp

WB . I get lots of trees sent to me on the hit list and some are pretty nice oak or walnut but the Hit List usually means I got hydro wires to miss. Houses. Barns or hwys lol  stuff like that 😂 

Walnut Beast

Funny ehp 😂.

Big bummer on my biggest Elm. The elm disease got it. It looked to be fine earlier. Had mulched by it. I figured that helped things. Then I remembered last month we had some extremely high flood waters come through the creek area and was wondering if that wet creek bottom stressed the tree enough to kill it. Some dead ones around it also. Probably do some big slabs. It won't go to waste

nativewolf

Sorry about that Elm.  What a disastrous thing we've been for our forests.  Elm, Ash, Chestnut, Sassafras, Beech, Hemlock, Oak decline all over.  
Liking Walnut

Hogdaddy

Division of forestry here talks about the Ash dying, but when you mention Red Oak to them, they seem not to be very interested. I see a lot of Red Oak here dying......
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

nativewolf

Lots of foresters seem to have head in the sand on Oak issues.  I think the black and red oak stands we have in this area are all going.  Like every stand.  We thin to remove as much competition as possible, we remove anything with a dead twig in overstory/crown.  Even then the remaining ones don't always look super 3 years later.  Some look ok but many...meh.  

The larger problem is that our silvicultural needs don't match marketing ability of the industry.  So RO has been languishing (mostly) for 2 decades and lots of it needs attention.  No doubt leaving as much as we (foresters at large) are means we are promoting the various pathogens we are worried about.  
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

Many big pretty boy to nasty big gnarly monarch Black Walnut trees with defects that some people snub that I have a soft spot for are on the hit list and not the sawmill for quite some time. Many trees in 90- 100+ circumference range like this one.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 29, 2022, 11:36:27 PM
Funny ehp 😂.

Big bummer on my biggest Elm. The elm disease got it. It looked to be fine earlier. Had mulched by it. I figured that helped things. Then I remembered last month we had some extremely high flood waters come through the creek area and was wondering if that wet creek bottom stressed the tree enough to kill it. Some dead ones around it also. Probably do some big slabs. It won't go to waste

I put the tape on the big elm and it's 138" circumference Luckily it's close to the field edge. Not so lucky on seven black gold trees that are going to be a absolute bearcat to get on the other side of the creek bottom only accessible from one side that all range from 93- 110 circumference. Many many trees in the 70 to 80 range that can stay. Luckily the rest of the big ones I'm going to take are on the same side that are in the same range. 

ehp

WB , I cut a walnut today that sure was heavy  but not to pretty  :D, lots of limbs growing off the trunk was up about 30 feet , 12 ft butt log made my skidsteer back wheels come off the grounds so not huge but good size

rdobb13

it's on the list, probably out of jealousy. 

beenthere

rdobb
Are we supposed to detect a difference between those three pics?  Not seeing any myself.  
south central Wisconsin

rdobb13

Quote from: beenthere on January 16, 2023, 08:54:40 PM
rdobb
Are we supposed to detect a difference between those three pics?  Not seeing any myself.  
No, just my general lack of knowledge on how posting pictures works.  My apologies. 

beenthere

Not a problem, and you can modify your post and remove the two extra ones. Had me curious and was trying to detect a difference.  8)
south central Wisconsin

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Walnut Beast

No shortage of character trees. This guy may be on the list. He's 110" circumference with a massive crotch. Two good sections of crotch wood

Walnut Beast

Some pictures of Black Gold on the hit list all shapes and sizes from nice to unruly. 
 Might not look like it but it's 30" plus 
And many many little trees in the 20" plus range that can be left alone 

Walnut Beast

Going to be a bearcat and some nasty places to winch several out on the other side of the creek that are big in several places like this. I'll cut a few of these 5 70"+ trees that are all close together . Love the warmer weather in the 40s. For a few days

Thank You Sponsors!