iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl insanity

Started by Walnut Beast, January 11, 2023, 09:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

I only use 3/8" RM chain in teak, i can get away with half an hour of cutting. the RS dulls and won't cut after 10min. that's because teak is very abrasive for tools
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Hans2017

I spend the winter cutting Walnut in Iowa. 95% of these are Spur cut, boring out all but 3 or 4 root spurs then clipping these. I started with 2 661 . Once I bought the 500 I use that most of the time, also pickup the 461 quite a bit also. For us Walnut is high value enough product that speed is not nearly as important as accuracy. I find I am way more accurate with a manageable size saw. All the saws have the 25" light bars on them. I would sell the 661s but they don't seem to be worth as much here as everyone wants the 500. Good luck with whatever you choose.

chep

Heck yeah! Welcome @hans2017 

Thanks for weighing in with some real world insight.  Love to see some pics of your handiwork. The what are you cutting thread could use some spur cut shots!

Walnut Beast

I second that! That's great to keep hearing all the good feedback on the 500 and the capabilities it has! Absolutely looking forward to putting it to work! All you guys that have given all the great feedback helped make my decision and many others of recent get one 👍

snobdds

I would love to race someone with a new 881 to go against my ported 090.  

Just to see...

sawguy21

I would love to see your ported 090 run, too old to pack that beast around anymore. :D I have never tried an 881.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snobdds

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 23, 2023, 02:36:15 PM
I would love to see your ported 090 run, too old to pack that beast around anymore. :D I have never tried an 881.
I use it to cut giant cottonwood trees along fence lines and irrigation ditches. 
I always heard the Mcculloch 125 could out run a 090.  Tried to get one but the guy from Canada scammed me.  One day I will find one and put the theory to the test. 

Walnut Beast

Ed

When felling with a 5' bar, I notch and start the back-cut with a 3' bar. Get the back-cut in 4-6" deep, then put the 5' on the saw and go.....Full skip is a must, I also use a round ground chain. Big trees are full of crap and your not going to set any speed records with a 5'  bar.

Did Stihl update that bar to a sprocket tip? Mine originally came hardnose for the "idiot stick" (helper handle) attachment. I had it reworked to a sprocket tip, whole new world with that.

Ed

Walnut Beast

<

br> Big thanks for the tips Ed!! Much appreciated! I will check that out on the bar.

HEXA CHAIN ??
Nobody seems to know anything about the Hexa chain. I emailed a guy a week or so ago that has a bunch of the .050 and I told him if he gets his hands on some.063 I want some. He sent me a Email he hadn't forgotten me and said he has some so I'm getting some. They say it cuts better and holds a edge better than the RS full chisel.
I will compare both since I have RS and Hexa on the way

SwampDonkey

Those new Stihl zero turns look rugged enough. ;D

I've been using a Craftsman pro series tractor lawn mover for 12 years. I mow almost 2 acres of lawn. Have never replaced a belt or a tire. Just oil filter annually and only one air and fuel fliter. The air filter was not really that bad. You'd think it would be stuffed, nope. Blades I replace every so often, but I find the lawn blades I got must have had a different profile because they don't throw the mulch as nice as the old ones. I'll have to get out the grinder and sharpen them up and put them back on. My new lawn has a heavy clover mix with timothy, which is harder to mow than straight grass anyway. I tend to let it grow a bit between cuts. The old blades aren't really that bad, but on new lawn they kinda smoothed out the rough spots for awhile. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Skeans1

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 04, 2023, 02:23:18 AM

<

br> Big thanks for the tips Ed!! Much appreciated! I will check that out on the bar.

HEXA CHAIN ??
Nobody seems to know anything about the Hexa chain. I emailed a guy a week or so ago that has a bunch of the .050 and I told him if he gets his hands on some.063 I want some. He sent me a Email he hadn't forgotten me and said he has some so I'm getting some. They say it cuts better and holds a edge better than the RS full chisel.
I will compare both since I have RS and Hexa on the way
That's great till you need to sharpen it, it'll always be a file job and on something that's 185 drivers in 3/8's that's a lot of time messing around. In normal square to do a 114 driver full comp chain on the grinder I'm less then 5 minutes a side and a few minutes on the raker grinder. Simple fact of time is money and money is time is true when it comes to long bars especially a couple strokes here and there add up very quickly.

Walnut Beast

STIHL 5203 750 7018 3/8"' Hexa Chain
Grinding Wheel

Ed

You didn't have that 881 set up with .404 chain?

Ed

Walnut Beast

Hey Ed ! The 59" inch bar I have is a Rollomatic E sprocket tip. The 3/8 .063 Hexa chain is for the Stihl 500 with the 28" Cannon Duralite bar I have

Walnut Beast

Full time Turner logging boyz in Missouri say the Hexa chain cuts better, faster and easier to sharpen when the name of the game is putting wood on the ground to skid out! 

https://youtu.be/euCNSiCG9CM

teakwood

The chain seems nice, but boy, real old school logger, seems hot there and the guy with heavy chainsaw chaps, should try some light weight pants. NO ear protection, whole day cutting without ear protection, ughh :o

Walnut Beast

They might be old school but they stay really busy. Especially cutting walnut. You should see his Dad that's probably pushing 80. His kid doesn't hold a candle to him. The old man with a 661 dropping big walnut trees like domino's. Absolute stud. 

Walnut Beast

Drinking the Hexa chain kool-aid. 
Cuts faster, stays sharper and a kid in diapers can sharpen it 😂

beenthere

WB
Have it on your saw now?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

teakwood

Saturday was one of the best days ever, went for the ongoing battle to repair  the struggling  forklift.
After several attempts and lots of talking to the old mechanic, owners and operators of the forklift came to the conclusion that it needed a new carburetor. The old company got a quote from Manitou of 2200$ for a new carburetor, they just ridiculous some times!  
Found a AM chinesium carb on ebay for 200$ and bought the thing, had it laying here since 2 month and the forklift finally stopped working last week so i gave it a shot, new carb and new plugs. had the thing running at 8am, two cranks and perfection. was so happy wanted to open a beer. Pre owners used it that way for years, started to stutter and turned off, let it idle and came back to life after some minutes, push gas and it died again. was overflowing.

long story short, it made my day and then the txt came in that my christmas present finally made it to CR.  Was like a kid in a candy store.  ;D :) thanks to our FF friend; the ship captain/ night logger because he works 22/8, sleeps 1hour and makes love to his woman's the other hour, lol lol

the only bad thing is the handle, never in my life have i seen a wrap handle but i don't get it  ???. would lose 20$ on each tree for leaving a high stump. put the grinder to it. need to order a original handle. 

Skeans1

@teakwood 
Try cutting steep ground without a wrap handle and you'll find out fast why they are a must. Imagine having to have the clutch side up dialing in a tree it's much easier to do with a full wrap vs back barring. I can't imagine cutting without one especially with some of the ground I've been one and size of the timber. Another way to think of it is staying on one side to do all your cutting without back barring from face to stump.

doc henderson

@Skeans1 what is the shoulder pad you speak of for carrying a saw?  Is it the leather and felt deal that Baileys sell to put on a suspender strap?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Quote from: beenthere on February 12, 2023, 11:31:49 AM
WB
Have it on your saw now?
It's in the works 😊. 
Nice saw Teak!

barbender

Teak, great saw! That part time logger you speak if, he is something else😊

I just picked up a very lightly used 500i from a friend. I haven't even got to cut anything that will show me what it can do.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!