iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Arch Build

Started by BowtieTimber, February 02, 2023, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowtieTimber

Hello everyone,

I've been following along with different posts on this forum for some time as a guest but I think it's time to share a project I've been working on.

I own a Norwood HD36v2 mill and have been struggling to get wood to the mill due to lack of heavy lifting equipment.  This got my looking into different log arch designs.

Different bits and pieces of the design have been borrowed from all over the internet to hopefully make the perfect arch for my needs.

The construction is mostly out of 1/4"walled  2.5" x 2.5" square tubing.  The overall length with the tongue portion installed is approximately 11' long.  The inside of the arch is 39" wide and is 59" tall with the wheels installed. It is definitely going to be very heavy duty when it's completed.  

The general idea is that the arch can be towed behind an atv / truck / tractor.  But with the tongue removed I have fabricated a handle insert that will have a winch point so that the arch can be used as a fetching arch in hard to get to areas.

I have a whack of photos which will be uploaded momentarily. 

Looking forward to hearing suggestions or feedback from more experienced people.

BowtieTimber

BowtieTimber

BowtieTimber

Tacked into place

You can see here how the front tongue section will be removable.

To remove the mill scale and rust I soaked all the parts I could in vinegar for 12-24 hours then dipped into warm water with baking soda to neutralize the acidity in the vinegar.  The parts that were too large to dunk I utilized 3M's strip pads which are expensive but work very well!

All cleaned up and ready for a quick shot of primer to prevent any rusting.

Bent up some rebar as a makeshift handle to help wield this thing around.

Making a winch mount for the 3500lb two speed winch.

Wlmedley

Looks like you're using the same winch I just added to my log arch.Works really well.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

BowtieTimber

Wlmedley, your gearing appears to be a bit more stout.  I just got a cheapy one off Amazon to try out for now.  

I do have some 3/8" cable in the mail though with a ferrule and bell which hopefully works well with this winch.

BowtieTimber

This front section of tube will allow for a heavier winch to be mounted if I need to pull a log a little closer.  It will also allow for a set of log tongs to be inserted for when the arch is used as a fetching arch.

Gussets added to the arch, front section of tube, and axle mounts.  The axles I've gone with are on the lighter side so I wanted to be able to unbolt them if needed to add heavier duty ones.

Fabricating covers for the end of the exposed tube.

Wheels are on for the first time.

Large winch mounted up front to test fit.

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Wlmedley

Looks good.Arch and small four wheel drive tractor is all I have to put logs on my log deck and has worked out well for me.Electric winch should be pretty nice also.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Resonator

Good progress. smiley_thumbsup
I'd suggest adding angle braces between the "backbone" and the "wishbone", a few heavy logs on a rough trail will test it and see if or where it bends.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

BowtieTimber

Quote from: Resonator on February 02, 2023, 05:10:34 PM
Good progress. smiley_thumbsup
I'd suggest adding angle braces between the "backbone" and the "wishbone", a few heavy logs on a rough trail will test it and see if or where it bends.
Thank you, yes that's in the plans too!  Just have to figure out the angles and how to make those cuts... should be fun!
This is the other attachment I am working on so that you can wheel it by hand.  I will close in the front with a shackle mount for the winch to grab on to.

Walnut Beast

Looks great. I love class 3 receivers for multiple uses. I would run a gusset on the very top long length for added strength 

BowtieTimber

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 02, 2023, 05:51:09 PM
Looks great. I love class 3 receivers for multiple uses. I would run a gusset on the very top long length for added strength
I've been toying with that idea, similar to the design that log rite uses.  What material would you recommend for that?  Flat bar or some 1" x 2" tube?  I don't have a any real equipment for bending the steel at this time.  Although I suppose some heat and a hammer always works.

Walnut Beast

The tubing or the flat bar would be fine and no bending needed 👍. That is definitely going to be a really handy unit! On the flat bar on top you could put two and make a A on top and weld like that also. Really it's what you have available or cost effective for you

OH_Varmntr

Nice build so far.  Following along  :)

B.C.C. Lapp

Your doing some good wielding Bowtie.   Not to many guys around that can fabricate like that.   I wonder if your keeping track of costs?   I'd like to know what it cost to build that compared to buying one of similar size and usefulness.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Stephen Alford

Nice job for sure. If you build one of these Mr Walnut Beast be sure and add lots of  Lights   :D
logon

BowtieTimber

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on February 03, 2023, 08:52:37 AM
Your doing some good wielding Bowtie.   Not to many guys around that can fabricate like that.   I wonder if your keeping track of costs?   I'd like to know what it cost to build that compared to buying one of similar size and usefulness.
Thanks Lapp,
I haven't kept an exact figure but I did purchase all the steel new so I've spent about $600 on steel.
The winch was $65 on Amazon, 3/8" cable with nub and bell from wescovan was about $100 with some other odds and ends after shipping.  So call that $165.
Axle stubs were $200 and the wheels I just had on hand.
Miscellaneous grinding pads/welding gas etc I had to restock was about $100. 
Hardware and trailer tongue were about $50.
So all together would be just over $1000 realistically.  I know a lot of guys throw them together with scraps for free but I wanted something nice that would last a long time and compete with the best arches out there so I didn't mind spending a little bit. 

Ljohnsaw

:P
That's purdy!  Not like mine :-\
V1.0

Too much snow on the old welds (not mine)

V1.5

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

BowtieTimber

That's a pretty cool design, looks like it would handle well!  Would be neat to have the right tools to bend some tube.

Wlmedley

Found some old build pictures of my arch.I've drug it over stumps and rocks and it hasn't failed me yet.Put in as much bracing as possible without making it to heavy.

John Mc

Wlmedley -

I'm surprised you haven't needed some diagonal braces running from the uprights coming up from the wheels to the wishbone/backbone. It looks as though it presently relies on just the butt joint where the wishbone meets the uprights. Has that been holding up OK?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Wlmedley

Remarkably I haven't had any trouble with anything bending on arch which I built about 4 years ago.I originally built it to move logs off of a 3 acre lot I was clearing off for a house seat.It had a lot of white oak and poplar which I worked out a deal with a fellow to sale at log yard.Brought all the good logs out over rough ground with arch and after buying sawmill a couple years ago have used it a lot.Here's one of the loads I bought out with it.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: BowtieTimber on February 04, 2023, 12:05:32 PM
That's a pretty cool design, looks like it would handle well!  Would be neat to have the right tools to bend some tube.
Those are great looking bends, aren't they ;)  The original was a septic tank trailer that I extended.  The low slung rails were an issue.  So, I cut that up and re-arranged things.  I also made it modular, so to speak.  The S curve from the hitch to the front of the top bar is one piece made from the front U section.  The top bar and the two braces are separate pieces.  There are two through bolts at each location that lock it all together.  When apart, it fits in the back of my truck.  With two people, it takes about 10 minutes to assemble.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!