Winter logging in the south

Started by pineywoods, January 14, 2010, 09:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

You've been reading my how-to manual?   :D

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Stephen Alford

Hey WDH, thats a hard ACT to follow.  :)
logon

fishpharmer

WDH, I hate it when that happens.  And it almost did the other day, with a trailer load of round bales. 

Hope you get pics of the recovery.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Texas Ranger

Now, Danny, see, if you were in Texas, that would be black land, and you would not sink that deep, you would still be stuck, for a few days, but not near that deep. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

That reminds me of one spring many years ago that a guy I worked with in the woods (our mechanic) asked me to take a ride back to where he cut his firewood with him. We jumped in his 4wd truck and went down the road to an old farm. Drove in the driveway and then out beyond the barn and down the lane on the edge of the woods. On the way there he told me how he had been cutting on this farmers land every year for several years. 

Well, a couple hundred yards back, the truck got buried just like in Danny's picture. So Pat says, no problem, we'll got up and get the tractor he lets me use to cut wood.  We did, and proceeded to get it buried just like the tractor in Danny's pictures. So then his big idea was to go back to the woods, about 3 miles away, and get the timberjack.  I drove it while he followed me with the truck.  We were hooked up to the tractor and I had to fishtail the skidder to get it to pull it out. As we were pulling, a guy comes walking up from the old farm house.  He was quite upset.   It was the adult Son of the farmer coming to check on the farm.   As it turned out, the Farmer had died the previous fall, and Pat knew that but did not tell me.  So Pat really did not have permission to be back there at all any more.   It sure did put me in an awkward place, luckily Pat took all the credit for the entire mess.

Turns out Pat didn't have permission that I thought he had to use the skidder either.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2010, 10:53:24 AM

Stuck the jeep then stuck the tractor trying to get to the stuck jeep to get it unstuck.  We have water coming out our ears down here  :).

WDH
Looks a bit messy. Glad I don't get stuck in the mud...but the snow  ::) ::) ::)  that is what happens here.  ;D

Is that a 1010 (or maybe a 2010) in the pic?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

This reminds me that the famous DanG 1wd Dodge truck is stuck in the pasture right now, with a trailer load of hay behind it. >:(   I WUZ gonna just back the trailer in the barn and leave it, but now I gotta unload it onto the backhoe a few bails at a time and restack it in the barn. :-\  I gotta get that thing onto Craigslist!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

That should make for an interesting CL ad.... ;D

1wd Dodge truck stuck in pasture. ....  As is, where is.....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wi woodcutter

Quote from: beenthere on February 19, 2010, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2010, 10:53:24 AM

Stuck the jeep then stuck the tractor trying to get to the stuck jeep to get it unstuck.  We have water coming out our ears down here  :).

Is that a 1010 (or maybe a 2010) in the pic?

I was thinking it was a 2020 or maybe a 1530. The shifters and decals look too new for 10 series, but I could be wrong.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

stonebroke

Nah it looks like a 50 or 55 series. maybe a 2155?

Stonebroke

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

WDH

Quote from: stonebroke on February 19, 2010, 04:57:45 PM

Stonebroke

Stonebroke wins the prize!  It is a stuck 45 hp JD 2155.  Fortunately, it is now an unstuck JD 2155  :).

Once I got stuck, the log nazi said, "NO LOGS FOR YOU!".
I thought that I was going to have to ask for the DanG 1WD Dodge truck for traction assistance :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Nas,

That is me playing the bass in the video.  Oh, and that is Woodbowl on the Banjo and Dnalley on the guitar  :D :D.

I still have mud up my nose  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

The 2 big oak logs that started this thread were sawn up today. Got a bunch of real nice 1X4 quarter sawn boards that probably will be made into tongue and groove flooring. There's 2 more logs still in the woods, too muddy to even think about getting them out.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Coon

where's the sacks of canola seed when ya need it?  :D  That muds not all too deep.  Just wait till we get stuck with the tractor and air seeder this spring.  I will definately get some pics.  Some of the alkaline soil we have around the Quill Lakes has virtually no bottom at all and takes an awefull long time to dry out.  I have seen four wheel drive articulated tractors ripped in half when pulling them out.  The last one I saw they had three tractors pulling the stuck one out at once with a D8 cat pushing from behind.   :o  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

stonebroke

Stonebroke
[/quote]

Stonebroke wins the prize!  It is a stuck 45 hp JD 2155. 

What did I win????    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

submarinesailor

Quote from: stonebroke on February 19, 2010, 09:15:21 PM

Stonebroke

Stonebroke wins the prize!  It is a stuck 45 hp JD 2155. 

What did I win????    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
[/quote]

Mud, mud and more mud. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

WDH

Bruce is right!

Stonebroke, do you like your mud wet or dry?  It does cost less to ship dry :D.

submarinesailor

Quote from: WDH on February 20, 2010, 07:32:46 AM
Bruce is right!

Danny - don't say that too loud.  My wife might have a different opinion.  According to her, I never get anything right.

Bruce

stonebroke

Good, That is just what I need, Upstate NY has a lot of rocks and trees but we are a little lacking in the mud department. Especially this time of year.

Stonebroke

sjfarkas

I wish I could figure out how to post pics.  I could show you a couple different tractors buried.  It's fun to have to step up to get out of the cab. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

WDH

Fun for a young man like you, all full of grits and vinegar  ;D.  Some of us older guys have been put up muddy too often  :).

stonebroke

Isn't dried mud a oxymoron?

Stonebroke

WDH

Excellent point!  So, do you want your clods shipped USPS in a flat rate box?   :D :D.

Thank You Sponsors!