iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Official VooDooChikin sawmill build thread!

Started by VooDooChikin04, April 24, 2020, 09:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDooChikin04

I did not mean hydraulic blade drive...  blade drive will be by belt direct from the 36hp kohler.    

I meant carriage down the mill bed and back..  and saw head up/down.  I've seen some very cool setups using hydraulic for those two movements.  

my main concern is that I would be robbing too much power from the engine by also running the hydraulics from it. opposed to a separate engine driving the hydraulics.

@Crusarius 

I had planned on electric until I saw a build using hydraulic motor to run the acme rod to raise & lower the saw head.  It was excellent, tiny slow movements for precise measurements as well as fast so not waiting time to get where you need.

Crusarius

I like the idea of hydraulic raise and lower but for bed travel I would lean more towards electric. a 12 or 24 volt wheelchair motor will get you pretty close to what you would need. Just add a potentiometer to it and your infinitely adjustable.

I toyed with the idea of electric over hydraulic for log handling and just mount everything to the bed and use a battery. Set it up so when the head is in the home position it charges the battery. I have no idea how long a battery will last in that application but it may be worthwhile. Could always just run long wires to charge the battery constant.

Cheaper to run long wires than a bunch of hydraulic hoses or a second engine.

VooDooChikin04

dang guys its been close to 100 degrees more often then not these last couple weeks. hard to get motivation to go cut and weld in the heat.

Walnut Beast

Change your schedule up😳. Sleep 😴 from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm in the heat of the day and then work all night and in the morning while it's cool.

Iwawoodwork

My 1985  Mitey Mite band mill has both hyd up-down for the saw head and hyd carriage back and forth , manufactured in Portland, Oregon, company still in  business. the hyd systems work great. There adjustment valves  on both systems for setting the flow/speed. Both systems operate off one pump and that is driven off the 18 hp Honda motor by a 3rd belt The main pulley has a 3 grove pulley, 2 belts for the saw and one for the hydraulic pump.

tacks Y

I would go hyd off the 36hp. 1 motor is enough, TK a one point ran 2. 

VooDooChikin04

Good point about the schedule change, thats something I actually might do!! 

@Iwawoodwork  would you mind detailing a little about how those functions are driven by hydraulics?  Hydro motors with chains? Hydro Rams?  Definitely curious.   

I was worried that driving the saw and the hydraulic pump would bog the engine down. But I like the idea of not having two engines mounted. 

Thanks guys!! 

Iwawoodwork

VooDoo,  the saw head lift is with a single ram pushing the head up but it has two lines to the cylinder so may be gravity or power down also. The feed system is a hydraulic motor with a sprocket that the chain (about size 40) serpentines up and over with an idler on each side, this is mounted at the base of the carriage. The one chain is  running along the outside of the inverted angle (v) track anchored at each end with threaded bolts so the chain tension can be adjusted. The newer saws are controlled with and electrical pendent to electrical over hydraulics, My saw being an early model is a manual lever control system.

charles mann

Quote from: VooDooChikin04 on June 18, 2020, 12:12:12 AM
dang guys its been close to 100 degrees more often then not these last couple weeks. hard to get motivation to go cut and weld in the heat.
You aint kidding. I wouldnt come out of the house till after 12pm, so i could at least work in the shade, and still have some wind. I didnt get much accomplished on my mill, but got some done, which is better than nothing. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

VooDooChikin04

Hey Guys!!  Im still around.  Still collecting parts for my mill build.  Trying to get a few projects wrapped up like my vintage stove restoration.  Recently finished a 1948 sears coldspot fridge restore.  

I picked up a plasma cutter few weeks back to assist with the mill build too! 

Also got a 2019 polaris general 1000 for help around the acerage, it'll tow 1500lbs so it might come in handy pulling a log hauler around.

Im still excited to get this mill started.

-Matt

Nebraska

Wondered if you had gotten that stove done.
Good to see you back.

Walnut Beast

You should love the Polaris General. Just as comfortable as a car but a real workhorse 

VooDooChikin04

It's been great so far!  Been doing some trail riding and put it to work!  (Disregard the derelict barn, that is on the to do list!)

VooDooChikin04

Wow...over a year hiatus.  I'm still kicking and still wanting to get this sawmill build underway.  

Since I was here last:
1: we brought a beautiful baby boy into the world. He's super smart and coming along real nice.  
2: have a second child on the way! 
3: launched our 4th company, creating new parts for the Polaris General UTV platform.  Not an advertisment but definitely check it out. OnlyGenerals.com 
4: started gutting my garage as it was last updated in 1980. After suffering some water damage, and rodent infestation...it was time for a change.  Thinking metal siding and closed cell spray foam insulation, with a finished interior.  (Definitely interested in experience with spray foam insulation).  

It'll take me a while to get caught up on what I've missed over a year and a half. Definitely nice to see the same names and faces still mulling around these parts. :) 

Crusarius

come on, 1.5 kids are hardly an excuse :)

Welcome back. Would love to see more progress.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: VooDooChikin04 on September 15, 2022, 10:17:46 AMlaunched our 4th company, creating new parts for the Polaris General UTV platform

Nice web site and great looking products.  But you need one more!  If you're adding a glass rear window between you and the dump bed, you're gonna need a headache rack to protect the glass!!!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

VooDooChikin04

Hi! 

Yea definitely, we have over 100 new products on the road map.  We just launched in April and it took a bit to get manufacturing setup as well as coating, and all the other logistics that go into this.   We are working on an array of bed accessories such as racks and covers.  Thank you for the input, I definitely appreciate it. 

Matthew. 

Thank You Sponsors!