iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440b brake pad question

Started by ohiowoodchuck, December 29, 2018, 06:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I went by the book before I took my skidder apart and ordered 4 new linings and rivets for the brakes. Well after I disassembled it I have came to find out two of the pads are different. They don't have no rivets in them. The book says to use four of the same pads with rivets. I was wondering if I need to order two more of the pads with rivets or ???

Education is the best defense against the media.

Grandpa

Sorry, I can't help with that one. I got the whole pad when I did mine. It has been a while but I think the lining was glued to the steel on the replacements I got.

ilog4u2

Ohiowoodchuck, I've been wondering if you'd got the ol girl back together. Good for you for your perseverance . I haven't been into my 440c that far yet , but often times newer, better technology is available and appropriate . Your doing the right thing imo, John Deere is good stuff.

Oliver05262

It looks as if your brakes have been pieced together with what was handy at some time in the past. I hope this link works: this says it's for a unit with powershift. If you've got psycho-shift, I don't see why it would be different. If you're working with a Deere dealer, they should be able to steer you right. Remember that an AG dealer can sell a lot of the parts for the smaller forestry machines, and their prices are usually about 10% cheaper than Nortrax. There are also some aftermarket parts suppliers out there. Aftermarket Parts, Inc. Suppliers of Forestry and Agricultural Equipment Parts  John Deere Parts Catalog

There have been a lot of changes and updates over the years. The older woven linings (with brass fibers woven in) have been replaced by a molded material that is smooth. If you have any bonded linings instead of the riveted on ones, they are easily loosened up by water contamination in the oil, so you have to be doubly careful about water. It can raise havoc with the clutches in a powershift unit. 
  You do plan to replace that scored up brake disc, don't you?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

ohiowoodchuck

Yes I got a good used disc to put back in it. That's why I bought new linings was because of the groove. I guess I totally missed the different size pads when I tore it apart  I don't want to put the old ones in because there wore to the grooves. Best I can tell from my research is that I need to buy a two of the newer style pads with the the rivets. In the parts catalog it say four linings and 16 rivets.
Education is the best defense against the media.

tacks Y

Woodchuck, I think Oliver is right. I looked at the book for my C and it shows 4 the same. So I looked at my parts and they are the same. If you need 2 pads let me know. Tom

teakwood

on my 540A i had the same thing, although there are just 3pads. after research i found out that the rivet ones are the old style and the glued ones are the newer design. i had one come loose of the glue, makes you wonder if the newer style is actually better than the rivets
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

tacks Y

Another idea would be to remove the bonded material and rivet your new pads on. Leave the extra steel or cut to match.

John LaHaise

Does anyone know the thickness of brake pads on a 440a skidder.
Cant find replacement pads but can have pads made at a local company.
Mine are 4 rivet.
Thanks

Grandpa

I can't find anything in my service manual about how thick they are. I don't think there is a whole lot of room in there so I would probably go with thinner pads. The brakes work good till they are steel on steel.

Thank You Sponsors!