iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your thoughts on a Woodmaster 718 Planer

Started by Cypressstump, October 01, 2012, 09:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

I have seen one advertised locally, a 2001 model 718 with many extras for 1200 bucks,,kinda outta my range, but before I contact the guy, I figered I'd ask here about your opinions of this machine.

PS- it has the baldes, not spiral head

Thanks Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

sawmillhand

i haven't had any dealing with those but you could check out you tube. i have heard that if you add the t&G accessory to it that it is hard to set up just right but once you set it up it works fine.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

pineywoods

Stump, I have one along with most of the accessories, I'm well pleased with it. Get the plastic bed overlay, it makes a world of difference. without it' it tends to eat up the rubber feed rollers. Have a friend (member slysam) who has 2, one set up for planing, the other with the 2 router heads for making molding. That setup works well, it just a little picky to get set up right. No experience with the spiral head, out of my price range  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bedway

ive had one for maybe 14 years, love it. Got it with all the acc. but have never used it for anything but planning. All the stuff ive never used still in boxes  ;D. If you keep the infeed and outfeed tables waxed you dont eat up feed rollers.

Woodey

I have a Woodmaster 718  Planer with a 5HP motor. It will plow though anything. Make sure you have a dust collector they put out a lot of chips with wide boards. With Extras $1200.00 is a good price.

If you can find a spiral cutter head I would strongly recommend going that way.

I purchased the 20" Grizzly with spiral head and last year and have not used my Woodmaster since.  It runs lot quieter and the carbide inserts stay sharp and last a long time. 
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

WDH

Once I got my spiral head planer, I no longer have any tear-out, and there are no blades to continuously sharpen.  The spiral head is like sliced bread.  It is beyond wonderful.  Nothing wrong with the Woodmaster, but after using the spiral head, I will never be sharpening planer blades again.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

I put a spiral head on my 718 a couple of years ago.  Major difference in cut quality and like WDH said no sharpening worries.
The 718 has proven to be very durable.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodmills1

I have a 725, it has replaced my belsaw 12 inch

I like it, like a belsaw but simpler with separate feed moter

mine is 7.5 HP so no planing problems, once I hooked up dust collection

I sharpen my own knives so not going for spiral
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DR_Buck

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 02, 2012, 04:09:54 PM
I put a spiral head on my 718 a couple of years ago.  Major difference in cut quality and like WDH said no sharpening worries.
The 718 has proven to be very durable.

What he said!    I love mine.  I have the spiral cutter and extension tables.  I'm getting ready to cut my first oak baseboard molding.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cypressstump

Thanks for the great feedback guys !

I have inquired about it, hope to hear soon from the seller.

I have often read issues concerning the feed tables, many say to keep them super smooth. There were also some threads elsewhere on people not being able to keep the grooves out the the planed wood. The guys mentioned running a single belt, and hanging the 5hp motor on a hinge to where the motor provided tension for the belt.
Any of ya'll heard or done that?

Stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

pineywoods

Stump, the grooves in the wood are from nicks in the knives, usually from trying to plane nails. Not something unique to woodmasters  ;D The belt tension is adjusted by shims under the motor mount plate. When you pull out all the shims and the belts are still loose, it's time to replace the belts. With the hinge on the motor mount, I think that 5 (or 7) hp motor has enough torque to climb up the belt, defeating the purpose of the hinge. The drum sander uses only 1 belt, but I don't think running the planer head with 1 belt would work too well, especially on wide boards. Nobody mentioned snipe and the woodmaster is capable of some nasty snipe if the infeed and outfeed tables aren't level with the planer bed..Keep the bed and infeed and outfeed tables clean and waxed, otherwise you will tear up feed rollers. Better yet, woodmaster sells a plastic overlay that covers all three, it's slickern snot.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawwood

Stump i have had my Woodmaster 18 for some time and had no trouble with it. I did buy the spiral head
cuttter and it sure makes a lot of diifernts. There are some photos in my gallery that showes it and the
out feed table i bought from them. I also use the sander a lot and the moulder some times.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Kcwoodbutcher

The variable speed drive on the woodmaster maxes out at 17 fpm. On all but the widest boards it can handle a faster speed, especially when skip planing. There's a little trick that can increase that a little without changing pulleys. PM me if you would like the info.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Cypressstump

Thanks all good feedback, I apreciate it. I am still waiting to hear back form the guy, he works offshore, should be in next week per his wifey.

Stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

oakiemac

Well I hate to disagree with all the responses but I'll be the one vote against the woodmaster. I have an 718 and found that it does an ok job but when I upgraded to a 1961 Oliver 24" planer with a spiral head I wondered why I ever put up with the woodmaster for all those years. To be honest, I am not comparing apples to apples but the woodmaster is SLOOOOW. If you are only surfacing a few hunderd feet now and again the the wm is ok but if you have to do jobs where you surface 1000bf of oak or hickory then forget the wm. At the fastest feed rate the wm is about the slowest feed rate on my oliver. The difference in speed is huge and the solid cast iron bed won't bend like the wm.
So if you are doing a little planing then get the WM but if you are setting up shop to surface wood for others or to do mill work then get a better machine. Just my humble opionion. :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!