iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarantined! (emerald ash borer)

Started by Ironmower, June 25, 2009, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

Just got the news today, Morgan Co. is the 2nd to be quarantined. The order prohibits movement of all hardwood firewood, as well as ash logs, ash timber scraps and other regulated articles to or through other W Va counties.
   They didn't say how long the quarantine will last. Hopefully not long. Good thing I got a jump on my firewood this year. Sure is gonna suck if I can't sell it. >:(

I know we need to get rid of this bug, but what got me fired-up is, They said (Ag. Department) it was "accidentally introduced into the U.S. near detroit in 2002, probably in wood packing material."

ACCIDENT my @$$. Quit buyin FOREIGN crap.    Pallets and other wood products get "cooked" before leaving this country, I highly doubt other countries do that for us!

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now :-\
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

beenthere

Too bad firewood has become the Whipping Boy for EAB. Not a fair accusation, in my opinion.

And all the quarantines possible to throw at the movement, won't hasn't apparently slowed down the EAB.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

A lot of other countries are complying with the export standards.  Here's the list:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Export-Pallet-Regulations

I doubt if we're going to get rid of the bug.  The ash will be gone, and then we can hope there isn't a secondary host.  

Most people don't know anything about the bug.  This includes those guys that cut firewood for beer money, or campers who take their firewood with them.  Some can't tell their ash from, well, let's just say they don't know what ash looks like.   ;)

The USDA has come up with an ad, which is playing in my area.  They're saying not to move firewood.  Keep it in the area.  I think its a good way to raise awareness. 

Most guys that move logs or lumber for a living know quite a bit about the bug, and have certain compliance things they have to do.  I don't think that firewood is a whipping boy by choice, but more by circumstance.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

I'm pretty torqued at the USDA in WV.

I volunteer at a 4-h camp every summer near Morgan County.  I spoke with a lady at SAWLEX about the EAB in WV, and she provided me some information to attempt to coordinate a visit to the camp by a USDA rep.  The USDA rep didn't return the phone calls.

Missed a perfect opportunity to reach out to 160 very bright young folks that would be able to understand the problem.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

When you have a species group like ash so wide spread it's hard to quarantine much. These things have wings and legs and can hide in crevasses of vehicles traveling 100's of miles.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Bartley

Hi guys,

Not trying to be difficult here, but I'm in the process of becoming certified as compliant in the movement of Ash wood products. I heard many, many stories about what the rules and reg's "might" be, but until I read the actual legislation and then spoke to my local gov't rep, I was really unaware of what the "real" truth was to the tales. The rules (in this area at least) seem to be common sense and not overly strict compared to any other substance that causes economic or environmental harm. Yes, it's a pain in the patushka, but I'm going ahead with it and it looks like I'll be able to move ash products "almost" without interference. May I suggest (if you haven't already) contacting your local gov't rep that deals with the EAB and get the straight goods from them?

cheers

John

EDIT :: Dan, I sympathise - it's a pain to try to do right and get ignored by the same people who will be the first to give you a hard time if they think you're breaking regs...!
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

inspectorwoody

When I attended the EAB meeting a few weeks ago,I was impressed with the effort being made by all agencies to find out more and stop the spread.

You can move firewood out of a quarantined are if it is heat treated and has the USDA badge on it.

Logs can be trucked from Oct 1 - March 31 and must be processed by May 1.

They also said they have evidence that suggests EAB was in Detroit something like 10 years before it was found.

They also said before the EAB hit,there was only a page and a half of information in the United States on the EAB.

A lot of people have done a lot and learned a lot in a short amount of time. Truely a trial and error type of thing.

When it first hit,they didn't think it could fly more than a mile and a half I believe +/-. So they created the radius around the infested area and cut everything in it. Well,come to find out it can fly farther.

The purple traps are the best they have now,but they did say they are in the process of developing better ones etc.

I can say that I'm very pleased with the Iowa officials and their efforts.  :)

The Ash of today will be gone,but there will be an Ash of tomorrow.  ;)

beenthere

John
Interested to hear what the "real" truth is for you, and what/how you need to do to comply.

Has EAB been found in your immediate area?  if so, are there quarantines in affect?

What if any restrictions do you have for moving firewood?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Bartley

Quote from: beenthere on June 25, 2009, 08:21:22 PM
John
Interested to hear what the "real" truth is for you, and what/how you need to do to comply.

Has EAB been found in your immediate area?  if so, are there quarantines in affect?

What if any restrictions do you have for moving firewood?

Yup. Ottawa is a regulated area. My sawing site when I saw for myself is 1/2 mile outside the area. My cargo containers where I store my wood is 1 mile outside the area. The road I travel between the two is inside the area......

I'm just getting acquainted with the reg's, but I will post more as I know. I do know that I will be able to move Ash cants from inside to outside, I will be able to move Ash lumber (rough) inside to outside, and I hope to learn more after my visit with the local rep in a week or so. As far as firewood goes, I don't do firewood, but one of my friends does, and I will be talking to him as he goes through the same process.

cheers - more later

John

EDIT :: I should have said that I only do this sawing thing as a hobby business besides having a regular job - when I expressed my reluctance to bother the local rep with such a small potatoes business, he was a real gent - basically said he's happy to deal with anyone who is sincerely trying to do right and help stop the problem, rather than cheat and cause problems - I think I like this rep....
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Ron Wenrich

We just got 2 loads of 8/4 ash prepared for export.  They said that we were in the quarantine area (we're not).  So, they wanted there to be no bark on any of the boards.  We had guys remove any glimmer of bark.  Destination is Pakistan.

Movement of material within the area is no problem.  Movement outside just means that it needs to be debarked.  That isn't a major problem if you have a debarker.

All loads of logs and lumber that is being exported must be inspected by the USDA.  They come in and check to see if there is too much bark or if there are bug infestations.

We are in the quarantine area for gypsy moth.  We had a few loads of logs that had too many egg masses to qualify for export.  We debarked them and they passed.  Lumber was no problem.

Government isn't out there to quash trade.  They are out there to help guys do the right thing so they don't spread too many bugs.  Most times they are fairly easy to get along with, as long as you are doing a good job.  Cut corners and I believe you'll have problems.  When you get to be one of those chronic cases, then they'll put the whammy on you.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

inspectorwoody

I heard that too.

I don't think they will bring it here if there are any threats to anything else.

It won't get rid of the EAB, just help control it.

From what I gathered, there are still Ash trees in the area(s) the EAB comes from. The bug and the tree have found the balance.

I think there might be a fancy word to describe that balance, but I'm not sure what it is.  :-\

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Did ya have ta use spell check on that one?  I would. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

actually, I guessed. Did I get it right?

I was normally out of the spelling bee by the second round  :D

routestep

I've read China doesn't enforce copywrite law and wasn't too worried about dog food or baby formula.  I doubt they're on the ball when it comes to pallet wood even though China is on the export compliant list.

olyman

china is a noncompliant country--period--

ID4ster

Here is a link to a webinar conference that Cornell University puts on. This month's topic was the EAB and this recording has a lot of good information in it.

http://breeze.cce.cornell.edu/p16366720/

Cornell puts on a monthly webinar that provides a lot of good information for forest landowners. If you're interested contact Peter Smallidge at Cornell; pjs23@cornell.edu for a link or to register for the connection info to the site.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Ironmower

First off, I'd like to apologize for my ignorance .

I called the number that was given in the paper, just to get some further knowledge on whats going on. They stated that you can absolutley NOT move any firewood.I said even if I know it's not ash. yes. The same comment come-up, that most people don't know what they are cuttin'. I don't disagree, but I do. My firewood business really helps thru the winters. I count on it.

I can't see doing countys at a time, where we live you have 3 other states within 30 miles of one another. Maybe the whole country should be also quarantined? I'm pretty sure they(EAB) don't know state lines.
                                    Sorry for being an ASH :-[
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Thank You Sponsors!