iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tammy wants...

Started by Jeff, May 23, 2020, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

...me to build somthing like this...

Over top of this....

Side by side to the cabin, but no floor.  I need 4 posts set. I have a mixer, so I can fairly easily pour some pier columns. I have a source of pine logs, supposedly red.  What would be the best way to secure 4 posts to piers and build from there? I dont have the skills to timber frame it so Id build it like the amish example  since I have a big supply of log screws, 8 10 and 12"

The structure would be 12 by 16ft

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nebraska

Jeff I have some post bases fabricated out of 6 1/4 square tube steel I will take a picture of when I get done with work today. I'LL put up a picture when I get back. They aren't hard to make, if you can find the stuff.

Jeff

The posts will be 8" by 8"

Don P

Still got a welder handy?

Your call on joinery but every farmer back in the day used those methods, its just another type of framing.

Nebraska

Well then so much for my idea because these are 6.25" inside diameter. my plan is to slide 6x6 posts in them then have 1/2 galvanized bolts through to keep the posts from pulling up. Plus a couple angles welded across to keep the post bottoms dry up off of the cement. It's old tractor tool bar I had salvaged from the farm. I don't know if the make an 8x8 square tube, but there have to be cheaper post bases out there buying it might be expensive. 

Walnut Beast

If your pouring concrete poke your anchors in. Could be some flat stock or wide angle iron on the corners. Then drill and lag to wood or drill holes in metal first

Don P

This is a 2 piece base. The lower plate and hooks are embedded in the concrete. The standoff tube and upper plate are attached to the post. Stand it up, get it where you want and weld.

Not as sexy but this one was just lagged up into the post with 8" lags. I needed a hinged connection so I could tip up the bents. Pipe and chunks of I beam, that would be hidden in a pour later. Just more ideas.

EOTE

Jeff, this is how I mounted my 8x8 columns to the concrete pad my contractor poured for my sawmill house and drying house.  I made it out of 4" x 4" angle welded into a box with j-bolts welded to the bottom.  I used 1/2" lag bolts through the sides to secure the column to the embeds.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Hilltop366

The problem with the "boxed in" type of post base is in this situation is the post are exposed to the weather so it will become a place to hold moisture and rot out the post.

The ones Don P show would be better for rot prevention.

I have seen a pice of ¼" x 1½" flat bar with a "L" on the bottom installed in the concrete and a 2" hole in the bottom of the post. Put a layer of roof shingle on the concrete then a piece of treated 2x cut a bit smaller than the post then another layer of roof shingle then post. Drill a counter sunk hole through one side of the post and steel flat bar, install a lag and put a plug in the hole.

Adequate post size and bracing is important.

stanwelch

Jeff,  I made my post anchors by welding a piece of flat stock to an 8" square plate. The main building anchor legs are embedded about 12" in the concrete that was poured in a 12" sonotube.  The outside anchors were made the same way but I bent the legs below the 8" plate together to for a "V" that was welded.  I then put 3 layers of roof felt under the posts.

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Magicman

Several years ago I did something similar for the post on a free standing shed that had no floor which is what Jeff said that he wanted.  I dug post holes ~2½' deep and ~16" wide.  I formed up ~6" (square) above ground level, poured concrete, added re-bar and 4 metal straps that were lag bolted to each side of the post.  Some of the above described brackets could be used.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

Many different ways to do it. That got me thinking. Years ago we put a upstairs deck on a building. Poured concrete pilers and poked rebar in the concrete drilled holes in railroad switch ties on the end and stood them on end. Three of them. No other attachment. They where like that for years and are still there on the place I sold. 

Jeff

I've been thinking about this. If I switched to treated ground contact 6x6 for posts, I can build it like a polebarn.  Sink the posts to a concrete cookie. My soil here is perfect  since I live on a wannabe gravel pit. The soil can be my anchor. I turned to Don P to help me with my idea and specing things out for our snow loads. I'm going to need some beef for the 16' and 12'  spans and ridge.

Jeff

This is moving along quickly.  Yesterday my friend Dennis Henry of Henry's complete tree service dropped off some fun. These are probably the biggest logs my old mill has ever seen. Definitly the largest  I've tackled.  Dennis has a job in the area and will set one of those big boys on with the skid steer hopefully later today.  These are white spruce.  Im going g to try and get 3 beams from the really nice log. The other big one may need to be cut back to a 12' right now its 32" and 16' long. 

The old lt30 looks tiny sitting there.

Jeff

My friend Harold hooked me up with some 4° blades. I wonder if that is a good choice for the spruce? I guess I'll give one a try.

Thank You Sponsors!