iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a cheap pre-heater

Started by red oaks lumber, November 09, 2014, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

the biggest struggle kiln drying lumber in the winter months is getting a new charge of wood thawed out and up to temp.after dragging my feet for a few yrs. i finally got the best deal i could find.
i bought a goathic style greenhouse. the plan is after we change the kiln ,load the greenhouse with the next charge. using 2 big portable 48" fans pushing and on the other end of the stack have 1 pulling and exhausting outside. the fans would be set on timers.the theory i have is the lumber should be thawed out by the time the kiln needs changing, and changing in the late afternoon the wood temp should be close to 60 deg.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

That should really help when you are buried with the glaciers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

sounds good, but what is heating it? is this just an air flow, if so what about cold cloudy days? just asking,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

my buddy has a nursery business and i spend time in his green houses even in the winter at zero deg. it gets close to 50  during the day on cloudy days it still reaches the low 40's.
the building i bought is 30 x 96  close to 14' at the peak .the guy was in a bad spot for money, he started at 3grand  the next day i bought it for 1 grand. i plan to use only 48' the rest i might use for my hydroponics.

drobertson

sounds killer! what a deal,  just wasn't sure how much heat was needed up there  through the winter months with the green houses.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Is your new greenhouse an icehouse?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 09, 2014, 09:20:08 PM
my buddy has a nursery business and i spend time in his green houses even in the winter at zero deg. it gets close to 50  during the day on cloudy days it still reaches the low 40's.
the building i bought is 30 x 96  close to 14' at the peak .the guy was in a bad spot for money, he started at 3grand  the next day i bought it for 1 grand. i plan to use only 48' the rest i might use for my hydroponics.

I purchased two 26' x 72' greenhouses and erected the first one according to specs with 4' spacing between the hoops.  It could not take our snow loads - it was reshaped in the first snow storm.  When I put up the second one I erected it with 3' hoop spacing and that one has done very well.
My suggestion to you is to consider making it shorter and using all or most of it.
Just a suggestion.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

red oaks lumber

they aren't designed to carry a snow load, they need to be mostly clear of snow. :)thanks for the heads up

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 09, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
i bought a goathic style greenhouse.
Poston's got enough ideas without giving him more.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red oaks lumber

Thank You Sponsors!