The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Woodmizer dehum kiln  (Read 367 times)

Offline Shutterman007

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Woodmizer dehum kiln
« on: April 01, 2021, 02:13:30 PM »
Anyone care to comment on their success using a woodmizer kiln, specifically how hard is to learn, how busy does yours stay, how long to dry stock and does ur kiln make money?! Thanks, Carl

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Woodmizer dehum kiln
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:44:12 PM »
Woodmizer uses Nyle kilns, and yes, they are easy to learn the basics, but you have to learn the advanced stuff if you want to be consistent.  Anybody can plop a load of wood in a kiln and have it come out dry and looking like curled up Fritos.  There are very few who can use a kiln to make their wood better than when it went in.  Ours stay busy 24/7 and never turn off.  We have 2 Nyles, one bigger than the other.  Considering a load may contain $10 to $20 thousand bucks of wood, and a load comes out every 7 to 9 days, so, least see, at a minimum of $10,000 (walnut is $40,000) per load, x 30 loads of various species per year, = yes, they make money..... :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline Kevjwright

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »
Hi yellowhammer 
Iíve heard you are the master of the nyle
I was originally looking at iDRY but someone told me to consider the nyle 
Could I get your opinion and any recommendations/suggestions for a rookie?
Thank you in advance 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 11:38:04 PM »
A Nyle kiln is a very good and reliable machine.  They are wood drying monsters, and mine run 24/7 for years, trouble free.  They are relatively easy on electrical power and easy to operate.

If you air dry your wood for awhile, they will finish dry it in a week, about the same speed as a vacuum kiln at significantly less electrical cost per bdft.  Even a vac kiln requires air drying some species of difficult wood, such as white oak.  

Vac kilns are nice, but other than drying very thick wood, or green wood on contract, for which they are very good, they donít have an advantage over a DH kiln for conventional 4/4 or 8/4 wood if it is air dried first for at least 6 weeks or so, depending on species and climate.  Pre air drying does many good things for wood.  Air drying takes zero electrical energy.

I have dried pretty much every species of Appalacian hardwood I can find in mine DH kilns, as well as different species of pine.    

The key is that whichever style you choose, you must actually learn how to operate it, and understand wood drying.  A vac kiln or a DH style kiln will not do the job by themselves, the operator must do their part.  Neither are set it and forget it machines, despite what the manufacturer says, but both are easy to operate if you know the fundamentals.  

My Nyle 200 will produce 3,600 to 4,000 bdft of 4/4 wood every week or so, year after year.  My L53 will do 800 to 1,000 bdft in the same time.  Thatís a lot of wood over a years time.  

When I talk about energy per board foot, that is the long term cost of a kiln to operate.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 11:41:22 PM »
Good stuff Yellowhammer 👍

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 07:05:28 AM »
I'm going to second YH on this one. I only turn mine off when I go out of town. Since I haven't been anywhere in over a year, it's running 24/7. When you are putting in a kiln try to take advantage of the situation and plan where you're going to put the second one.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WoodMizer Kiln with Red Oak

Started by steveST on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2003, 05:26:42 PM
by Larry
xx
HD250 Woodmizer kiln questions

Started by Woodslabs on Drying and Processing

14 Replies
Last post December 04, 2017, 11:33:24 AM
by BLink