iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking For Info, again

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 30, 2005, 08:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

For those using Diesel Engines on their mills, Could some of you tell me if there is a pulley bolted directly to the crankshaft, or, is there a short extension, or, is there a transmission of sorts ??

I'm trying to figure how much side strain a Diesel rear main bearing and seal can endure.  A direct "Look-see" from Diesel owners would be very helpful.  Thanks
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Percy

Heya FDH
On my LT70, the drive pulley is mounted direct to the crank. When I hit the auto clutch switch, the little Kubota with the cute dinkey terbo actually moves(motor mount flex) from the tension. 2000 hours...almost and no problems. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks a bunch, Percy.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Hmmmm.  Let me guess. ???  Ya can't take the Dodge to CR, so yer gonna put the turbo Cummins on the Peterson?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Thats a good question. Normally you should not connect a belt directly to a crankshaft. The problem is the rear main bearing is pressure lubed from the oil pump so at startup you could have scoring of the main bearing when you have a side load directly on the crank. Woodmizer avoids that by using the belt as a clutch and it is not tensioned at startup. As Percy said, the entire motor is mounted on pivots and the belt is engaged by raising the motor and that motion also opens the throttle.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

Mine has an extension/adaptor with a centrifugal clutch attached directly to the crank shaft.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Vermonter

Carl and Jake have tried out a few diesels at my urging, have you spoken with them in NZ?  I thought CR would be a great place to own a  diesel mill.
New homestead

Thank You Sponsors!