iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are those Georgians thinking?

Started by RynSmith, January 14, 2014, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RynSmith

Maybe they think it will shade out the kudzu?  I wonder if Magicman would want some for his tree farm...  :D

Georgia researchers work to build a better tree

University of Georgia researchers are working to produce faster-growing sweetgum trees by growing embryogenic sweetgum cultures in bioreactors.

pineywoods

Brought to us by the same folks who brought us kudzu  :(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Wenrich

Biomass is my guess.  They did the same thing up here with hybrid poplar, thinking it was going to be a crop with a future.  Short time rotations and copice for yield.  That was in the '70s and the market turned out to be non-existent.  Sometimes they have this "build it and they will come" mentality.  Current group is thinking biofuels. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

It is actually a cross between Sweetgum and Pecan which was devised by our own WDH.  He was attempting to sweeten up the Devil and create an Angel.   smiley_devil  smiley_angel02_wings  The problem was that his Angel had too short of wings and could not fly.   The resulting failure was renamed and the rest is history.  poston-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RynSmith

I just knew WDH would be involved in this somehow!

You are correct, Ron, it is biomass related.  There are hybrid poplar plantations over here that are mostly being piled and burned; surprisingly enough it wasn't the best use for farmland...   ::)

WDH

Researchers have to research something  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2014, 01:26:07 PM
  The resulting failure was renamed and the rest is history.  poston-smiley

smiley_curtain_peek
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Rockn H

It could be for plywood too.  If I'm not mistaken, sweetgum is the veneer being used as the center core in the GP plywood mills in Georgia. 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!