iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Magic Hook

Started by OlJarhead, November 03, 2022, 11:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I couldn't help making this one!
I made sure to credit FF and MM (hope you are the original but you told me about it years ago)
https://youtu.be/3x3qwnC54I8
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

Nice vid. I use my Magic hook like you show to move uncentered logs forward or back and I also use it to turn over bulky, odd shaped logs. I moved one maple over 20' to my mill using the clamp and long chains/cables. I could not turn it by myself with my LogRite cant hook because it was too big and had too much sweep. Once I got the center of balance rotated it mold flip several feet at a time. I have also used it to hold odd shaped logs on the loading arms till I can raise the log and have it slide into the cradle of the arms. Without the Magic hook every time I would lift it would just kick the log back. I never leave home without mine.

Last year I sawed 80 or more 20'10" cabin logs and on about a third of them we had to use the magic hook to center them as they had to be perfectly centered to saw and many were too heavy to move on the rollers by hand. Powered rollers would have been nice there but the magic hook saved the day..
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

It's funny really, and I have to admit it LOL but though I've known about it for a long time I just couldn't find one (used) on CL or otherwise and finally just gave in and bought one.  I'd been using a chain for a long time and would just wrap it around the end of the log to move a log on the deck that I couldn't move by hand or to hold a log or roll it like you do but the Magic Hook is so much better for this!

After I gave in and bought the hook I had it for about a year (procrastinating I suppose) but finally got mad when I left my chain behind and had no way to move a log!  Broke a ratchet strap trying to use it and ended up cutting the end of the log off (bad form I know) in order to get it milled and off the deck.  So I found my hook (hiding in my camper the whole time) and bolted it to a chain I had, attached a hook on the end and viola!  Life is better!

I might be slow but I eventually get there :P :D :)

WV Sawmiller

I think Lynn made his original from a pair of logging tongs and made a pair of them as I have seen vids where he used one in each end to lift a log with a FEL or such. I bought an old cant hook with no handle at a flea market and took the hook off and attached it to 3' of 1/4" chain with a chain hook on the other end. I carry 2- 6' long 1/4" chains with hooks on each end on every job and seldom need either of them. I have a heavy tow chain and cable in the back of my truck if it comes to that but very, very seldom does. I keep a short ax with me to drive the point in where needed.

I think I read where people could call LogRite and buy just the hook if they need one to make their own Magic Hook. I don't know when the LogRite people will catch on and start making and selling their own Magic Hooks (Hint, Hint LogRite). ;) ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Funny you should mention that!  I posted a link in my description for the LogRite hooks and emailed them about making a hook just for this use (bigger hole) and/or a complete Magic Hook setup.  I made a point of mentioning FF and MM to let them know it wasn't my idea ;)

Magicman

I always use the rear side support to move logs on the sawmill bed whether I am moving them toward the back or the front.  Reason; the rear side support is tied directly to the hydraulic cylinder whereas the front side support is connected with linkage.  I prefer not to place the additional load on the linkage so I use my longer chain to move logs toward the back of the sawmill.

Yes, they are properly termed "side supports" because they are on the side of the sawmill and support the logs and cants.  :P   If they were back where the taillight is I guess that they could be called "back stops".  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

charles mann

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 04, 2022, 12:29:52 PM
I posted a link in my description for the LogRite hooks and emailed them about making a hook just for this use (bigger hole) and/or a complete Magic Hook setup.  I made a point of mentioning FF and MM to let them know it wasn't my idea ;)
did you ever get any traction on this? im fixn to order the 60" mega hook and 2 extra mega hooks and was going to call log rite to see how big the bolt hole is and how much meat is surrounding the bolt hole so i can order the correct size twin clevis links and swivel links. according to the size chart for the twin links i would like, the pin dia. is .440".
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

OlJarhead

We discussed it a while back and I think they had a hook that they recommended.  I'd ask them about it.

I believe we discussed a kit as well but not sure if they decided to do it or not.

charles mann

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 08, 2023, 04:33:04 PM
We discussed it a while back and I think they had a hook that they recommended.  I'd ask them about it.

I believe we discussed a kit as well but not sure if they decided to do it or not.
i did briefly discuss it with whomever it was i spoke with in customer service, and Mrs. Tam-i-am just sent me a pm. For what im building, its gonna take a bit of modification and reinforcement of the mega hooks. But thank you sir for replying back.
Temple, Tx

terrifictimbersllc

I didn't know there was a 60 inch mega hook. Mega hook usually describes the 78 inch can't hook which has the largest hook. I bought an extra hook for that 78 inch can't hook, and had no trouble hooking a shackle to it to attach a chain. That extra necessary hardware is ordinary hardware store stuff. There's no issue of that hook having enough metal around the hole, it has plenty.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Charles, if you don't get an answer back that helps you out, I have a mega hook and can measure it, but it's 2 miles away at the mill. Not sure when I will get there in the next few days, but if you need it I'll run down and measure. I want to say it's 3/8" but that's not good enough for you to place an order on. You could call Logrite and ask for either Kevin or his son (Zach, I think?) and they can check the drawings. They would also make a custom revision for an additional fee but I know you can do too. I am due to call them in a couple of days to order some legs with custom mods for a client. They are good folks as you likely already know.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

charles mann

OG, you are correct, its a 3/8 bolt. She didnt tell me how wide the hook is, but for the swiveling setup im building, i need to open the hole to 1/2" to have around an 11,000# wll. Hopefully there is enough meat after opening the hole up.

I already ordered the replacement hooks from them, but the lady i spoke with at logrite mentioned to check amazon (same price as on logrite's website) which might offer a different shipping rate. I checked on amazon and it saved me $30 even after tax.
The lady i spoke with was super nice and helpful as well.

Terrifictimbers, its on their website for the 60". 
Temple, Tx

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that must have been Shaina, she is on the ball and knows her stuff. That was nice of her to mention amazon and you won't see that very often at other places. Shaina has helped me out a few times and we had a nice chat when I was at the open house and then a few months later when I made the drove back to pick up a large custom order. If I get down to the mill I will check the material width on that hook.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

terrifictimbersllc

As far as I can see their only tool called a megahook is 78" and has a larger hook than the 60" ones.

https://logrite.com/Item/replacement-hooks
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Yeah Dennis, I have both down at the mill and maybe today I can get some dim's for Charles. (BTW, happy motoring.)

Tam-i-am

The hooks are 3/8" thick.  The hole is 3/8".  

You could probably get a 1/2" hole in there but it won't be easy has the hooks are heat treated.

I volunteered to send shackles that would fit.  Dennis you are correct just ordinary hardware store stuff.

Again Dennis you are correct, we have 3 size hooks and only the megahook has the biggest hook.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

charles mann

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 09, 2023, 03:34:49 AM
As far as I can see their only tool called a megahook is 78" and has a larger hook than the 60" ones.

https://logrite.com/Item/replacement-hooks
You are correct sir. I was thinking the both extreme (yellow handles) were mega, but only the 78" is the mega hook. Which is what i ordered. 
Temple, Tx

Andries

Tam-I-am has it right; the steel is hardened. Count on using a drill press, cutting oil and a few sharp 1/2" bits to enlarge the hole for the chain link.

It's a Mega hook for mega logs and works really well.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Charles, I made a trip down to the mill just to keep my promise. I have a 48" standard and a 60" mega and full size mega to compare. The material width where the hole goes through on the biggest hook is just over an inch, the others are each a bit smaller successively with the 60' being just about an inch or a little less. Yes, 3/8" holes as Tammy said. These are flame cut, hardened and galvanized. So if you open up that 3/8" hole to half inch, you will wind up with about 1/4" wall all around, or you could move it down a bit along the hook and help yourself a little. The edges taper and the flat gets wider as you move toward the hook bend.  (In other words, the edges are not parallel, they taper in size.)
 I hope this answers your original question.

charles mann

OG, that is enough info for me to work with. I ordered my eye to clevis swivels and some crosby a-330 7/16" grab hooks. I'll have a pile of stuff waiting on me when i get hm in 13 days, which gives me a day unless i catch the red eye out of lax and drive the 3hrs hm, to get these modified and ready for use that fri afternoon. Hopefully stuff holds up to 8,000+ lb logs. 
Temple, Tx

Andries

If the chain is rated for transport 70, the mega hooks will be a good match.
I don't know about lifting 8000 lbs, but turning is no problem.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

charles mann

Quote from: Andries on March 09, 2023, 07:48:28 PM
If the chain is rated for transport 70, the mega hooks will be a good match.
I don't know about lifting 8000 lbs, but turning is no problem.

Im gonna find out. Im only lifting it partially, till maybe 1/2-3/4 of the log is on the dove of my gn, then dragging it onto the flat deck, over 6" fence post to help reduce the drag/resistance. These will be more of a skidding tong. As for grade 70, yes, all my chains are grade 70.

For lifting on the mill, endless loops, flat chokers or chain will be used and lifted with my 936A2 5 ton truck. 

And OG, THANK YOU for going to your mill and getting me the info.  
Temple, Tx

Old Greenhorn

Good deal. With a 7/16 hole you get a little more wall. If you're worried about it you can always tag weld some side plates on it and drill through. I'm sure that shackle has room. It's probably 4100 or 4300 series steel, but you'll need the right rod for hardened. I'm sure you'll be fine.

charles mann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 09, 2023, 08:08:14 PM
Good deal. With a 7/16 hole you get a little more wall. If you're worried about it you can always tag weld some side plates on it and drill through. I'm sure that shackle has room. It's probably 4100 or 4300 series steel, but you'll need the right rod for hardened. I'm sure you'll be fine.
this Chicago 5/8" Jaw & Eye Swivel - 5200 lbs WLL - #21625 8 and the a-330 hooks is what i will use to attach to the hooks. I had planed on welding a some 4140 1/4" flat bar to strap the hook and after welding, it should cause some of the temper to be lost and drill the 5/8" hole through everything. I will weld with face hardening rods, like what i use to weld the cutting edge of my shredder blades and if i have time before heading out, will heat treat and temper the hooks. i am more than likely over building them, but i do not want stuff coming apart with the tension on the winch cable or chains. things tend to go bad when stuff lets go with that strain on it. 
Temple, Tx

Old Greenhorn

Well with a 5/8" pin you will have have to add plates I guess. That would only leave you a 3/16 wall, which would be fine most times, but not always. Even if you don't heat treat, try to get some heat on it to smooth out the welding stresses. You'll be fine.

Thank You Sponsors!