iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brush Saw Brands

Started by KBforester, June 05, 2010, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBforester

I'm trying to decide what brush saw to buy. I'll be doing mostly precomercial thinning. But probably sparingly. Maybe 10 acres a year.  I'm thinking in the 40cc + range. I've looked at STIHL and Huskys, and they are both a bit too expensive. If you were to choose between Echo, Efco, and Tanaka, which would you pick? Any other brands I should consider?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=TK+TBC+430PF&catID=1004

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=8070

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=EF+8460&catID=1027
Trees are good.

Radar67

I just got a Stihl FS 130 for under $500. I've tried others and the Stihl is in a whole different class. I believe it is built well enough to handle what you are wanting to do.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Of the three choices you presented, I would go Echo. However a Stihl or Husky is more expensive because they are the ones most pros buy around here for the job and last longer from what I have experienced. I am on my 4th year on my FS550 and I cut about 70 acres last year on it and previous years around 30 acres. This year probably 100 acres unless I do layout work like last year. So far been thinning 6 weeks and 22 acres cut already. I have a seven year old one as a spare.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rstickney

definitely worth the money in the long run is the husky or stihl. personally i would go with the stihl 4 stroke pre mix because of a nice balance and quieter and easier to start

ErikC

I have a Stihl fs250, It'll do fine for what you want too. I use it for weedeating a lot as well, very dependable and not too heavy.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

KBforester

:::Sigh:::

I was afraid everyone was going to push for the better saws. Can't argue common sense I guess. How does everyone feel about used equipment (ebay for example)?
Trees are good.

beenthere

How much money do you have to throw away?

How much money do you have to invest?

Do you want us to help you invest it wisely?
:)

If I were to buy used, I'd likely go to my Stihl dealer and talk about a used brush saw he traded in. I know I traded up a very good running brush saw for a new one. I trust my Stihl dealer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

KB, for the money you were going to spend on one of the other saws, you could have the Stihl FS130 or 250. You said you wanted in the 40cc + range, the 130 is 36.3cc and has the torque needed for the tough jobs. It slices 1.5 inch brush like it wasn't there. I cut some 2.5 inch stuff with mine, it took it a few seconds, but didn't bog down at all. I have 20 acres to maintain and this is all the saw I will ever need.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

KBforester

I haven't checked up on STIHL yet, the nearest dealer is about 3 hours away. I guess I should give them a call though. the Huskey dealer had new saws, but no used ones. Which is why I'm checking out ebay. But I've always been weary of ebay, it would be the first time I'd bought anything from the site, let alone a used piece of power equipment. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200478137303&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200479901450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm looking to spend no more than $600, but if I can't get what I want with that, then I guess I'll have to dish out more.

Most of what I'll be cutting is in the 1.5" range (softwood), but I'll probably be cutting 3-4" beech fairly often too. But I won't bee doing this stuff full time. I just plan on doing PCT for an older forester I do side work for. I plan on maintaining my woodlot and hay fields too (max 3" balsam fir, 2.5" alder).

I'd be charging around $500 an Acre, so I realize it wont take much to earn back the cost of the saw, but I did just buy a house, and I'm trying to fix things for the insurance company... blah blah blah. I have money to buy a better saw, I'm just trying to avoid going overboard I guess.
Trees are good.

ErikC

It was a few years ago, but I my fs250 was right at 500 new. Well worth it and I use it less than you will, from what you have said.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

aksawyer

I would favor the stihl or husky but as far as the smaller saws go there is one small saw out there that does produce a very hard working and reliable,yet not too expensive,I dont think any of you have mentioned.I have two of them for topping and above ground limbing when climbing.That saw is the Shindawa very powerful for small saw.One is four years old other must be around eight.Aksawyer

Emajsh

have you checked on jonesred? basically a husky in a red package
JD 340D  HUSKY 385XP 372XP

VT_Forestry

I suppose I can weigh in on this one :) 

As usual, there has been a lot of good advice put out there, and I'm in agreement with those that are pushing for the Stihl saw.  There is a reason they are a little more expensive...they are tough and will give you many years of great service.  Beech is a tough wood and will dish out a beating to that brush saw...you'll want something that can hold up over the years.  My FS450 will burn through 5-6" loblolly pine no problem, but I can tell right away when I get into one of those tough beeches :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

SwampDonkey

Beech is a nightmare when it grows in thickets. :D That mostly happened here on firewood lots not out on crown lands. I do run into beech out there, but it's a lot more scarce than yellow birch. Pin cherry will trip ya up a little to. For a weed tree, it sure is hard. Some I just walk away from. ;D :D :D The bark turns almost black on the big ones and is like cutting iron. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!