iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade setter

Started by jimmy, February 22, 2004, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

I'm looking to get myself a blade setter what are some good brands? Is the Cat Claw dial tooth setter from Cooks saw MFG a good buy at $375?

Tom

I don't know what a "good buy" is anymore.  When I look at the materials of the setters and what I feel is the hour of manufacture, I think they are all over priced. Perhaps they are making up for engineering and perhaps they threw a dart at a target to come up with a price.

Cook makes a good one and Wood-Mizer's is like it.  They are both of the same design.  Even with an expensive initial cost, it doesn't take too long to get that much money back from being able to work with your own blades.  While off-site sharpening is being made more convenient, it doesn't replace the ability to set and sharpen your own blade on a moments notice.

gmmills

I've had the same Woodmizer setter for nine years . For the last 4 yrs it has set on an average of 5 blades a day . It's a 2 stage setter and so is Cooks. If I were going to replace my current setter I would consider a Cooks . I like the spring loaded sliding block that clamps the blade .  The Woodmizer has 2 spring loaded shoulder bolts . IMO the block will hold the deflection of the blade better .

With the number of blades that I set the $375 price would be returned  in a very short time.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

MrMoo

I have the Cook's setter and I like it. Its simple but built ruggedly. The spring block that clamps the blade is a good design. I also like having the dial indicator on the tooth so you get a reading every time.
As Tom and gmmills have indicated it will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Thank You Sponsors!