iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ignition switch for honda gx630

Started by horseman, September 21, 2010, 04:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horseman

We are still working on our new mill and have bought a new Honda gx630 to power it. We ordered it without an ignition switch so we could put it closer to the operator.  The engine is wired backwords from traditional ignitions in that the coils go to ground to run.  I guess this is a new design for emissions or something. There has to be a hot wire for the fuel solenoid, one to the bat. pos. and a hot one to the starter primary, and then the ground while running to the coils. Has anyone run into this before and if so where did you get the switch.  Thanks, Todd
Nobody is totally worthless--- they can always serve as a bad example!!!!

ely

they  do it that way so you have to buy one from honda. over a hundred bucks i think it was.
i used one off a lombardini, i think thats the name. it was a diesel control box for the ignition and all it didnt have was the ground conectinig wire that killed the engine. i just ran an extra wire and put a switch inline on the ground that came from a refrigerator door. when i want to kill the engine i just push the button. ;D

yeah i know guys , but dont say it.

Slabs

I think of the Army's old U-6 Beaver.  It had a line of simple toggle switches for ignition(2) and other functions and a "crash bar" that would swing down and turn them all off at once.

I betcha a similar setup would work fot the Honda quite cheaply.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Slingshot

Sounds like what I needed to install on a Honda GX620 that I bought new, without an ignition
  switch, for a Norwood mill I had.  Seems there were about 5 connecting posts the switch needed. I took the wiring
  diagram from the engine manual to a small engine repair shop and they were able to find one
  that had all the right conections and it worked fine with the engine. Cost about $24.00. They had
  a cheaper one I could have used but would have had to wired another switch in-line like ely described.

---------------------------------
  Charles   sling_shot

horseman

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens.  I talked with the guy from the parts store today and he said he could make one work using an ordinary switch and a rely to run the ground through.  Sounds like it will work the way he desribed it.  The next time I get to town Ill take the schematic down and let him see it.  I have to get it to run now , we cut doug fir yesterday for the new barn!
Nobody is totally worthless--- they can always serve as a bad example!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!