iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check this out!

Started by WoodChucker, October 02, 2003, 12:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

One of the guys over at the woodnet forum found this site. Very interesting, thought you guys would enjoy it.

http://www.garymkatz.com/ontheroad/hulloaks.htm

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

DanG

Wow!  :o  That was a great set of photos. 8)   Whoever put that together is a pretty fair tour guide.

That's an impressive mill, too.  Wonder what Woodmizer would say if those guys decided to join the Resharp program? ;D

I was a little disturbed to see so many guys with no eye protection, and a lot of loose clothing awfully close to the machinery.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shopteacher

Man-O-Man, I'd love to tour that place and see the headrig run. Hard to believe there is still a steam operation that size in existence. Get a load of that blade. Think they give me one for my classroom? :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

WoodChucker

Yeah I'd hate to be around that blade if it ever broke, can you imagine the tension that blade must be under?  I wonder how long a blade last when it has to be sharpen every two hours? :)

R.T
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Texas Ranger

Back in the late '50's, when I was a callow youth and in forestry school, we went to a steam powered band saw mill at New Madrid, Missouri, on the Mississippi River.  Was cutting huge river bottom hardwoods at the time, I watched as they broke down a sycamore that must have been 6 foot in diameter, and full of carpenter ants.  Fastest mill I have ever seen work.  

A lot of hissing and blowing while that carriage was flying back and forth.  An incredible sight.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

AtLast

HOLY MOLY BRUDDER ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o...Now THATS 1 Jim Dandy of a mill.....1907 ans still doin the job?....Id like to see um coil up 1 of those blades to be shipped to Solidwoods for sharpenin... ;D

Frank_Pender

And to think, I am only an hour and half away.  I have been by there a number times but never stopped.  I guess I should not admit to such a thing, should I.  Now I have to go to all you folks jeleous.  8)   I have done some business with them but never been there.
Frank Pender

oakiemac

Incredible! I'd love to take a tour.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jason_WI

I wonder how much one of them blades cost, and how much production a blade can produce before it's shot.......

At the Thresheree in Valmy, WI they hook up a Case steamer to an old sawmill and cut a few logs. The sound is very cool when the govenor kicks in on the steam engine and the smoke and hot cinders come shooting out the stack on the boiler. You will get holes burned in your shirt if you stand downwind from the steam engine while its working. ;D ;D :D :D

They used to hook the steamer up the the thrash machine untill the straw stack caught on fire one year. Now they use and old tractor for the thrash machine. ::) :'( :-/

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Stephen_Wiley

Due to dial-up took a long time to load pics. >:(

Was curious about size of blade .......... same size as the mill I worked in Jasper outside of Eugene, Oregon in 1981.

Use to help change blade, and even coiled them for shipping.

Man I miss that mill, think I will call my old partner and see if he wants to take a reminiscient tour of the mill. ::)

BTW, just drove by Hull-Oakes mill this summer enroute to coast and another old mill in Mapleton.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

mhasel

Awesome pictures and WOW what an operation. I'm just sorry it isn't within driving distance this weekend ;D Thanks for the great info, now all I have to do is try and plan a vacation out that way one year!!

Another site my uncle visited a few years ago here on the east coast was Pisgah National Forest in NC and the Cradle of Forestry in America

Mike

http://www.cradleofforestry.com/

Thank You Sponsors!