iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most unusual mobile sawing location/set up

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 05, 2021, 10:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

After reading the Site visit thread I thought I'd open a post where people can share their experiences with unusual, difficult or otherwise challenging mobile/portable sawmill set ups. I saw an article somewhere here where someone lifted an LT40 (I think it was) to a roof top of a high rise building with a helicopter and sawed up there. I confess I do not have anything that unusual.

I sawed about a mile from home in the bend of a road. A neighbor needed replacement bridge timbers and sawed the logs and dragged them along the dirt mountain road going to a home place back there. The road was barely wide enough for one vehicle and the only spot wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass was on a sharp bend. I drove up, dropped off the mill, drove to the home place at the end of the road and turned around and drove back passing my mill. Myself and a couple of the customer's helpers picked up the tongue of the mill and swung it around to face the mountainside and the logs laid out there. The tongue was so high I could barely reach the head on mill on the larger logs. We'd drag the logs down the to face the mill with my pickup and a chain and cable. The sawdust and slabs blew or were tossed over the steep hill on the operator's side. The bridge timbers were off loaded and stack on the customers truck he had parked uphill before we brought the mill in.

I sawed in Bolt WV (Little Jimmy Dicken's hometown) about 50 miles away and got there and found the logs were from a windrow of pines that had been cut at the edge of the front yard which was about 30' from the house. These was no stack - just a long row of logs. I backed in and set the mill up about 6' from and parallel to the front porch. The sawdust blew up against the porch and the slabs were offloaded and stacked at the front end of the mill. The finished boards were pulled off the front and back based on sizes and such. There was just enough room to drag a log to the mill with a small tractor.

Tell us about interesting set ups you have encountered.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Here are some that come to my mind.  I am sure that I will find others.

This one was interesting.  After sawing each log, I moved the sawmill up to the next log.  The lumber became wall paneling for the home being built at the end of the drive. 

This one was so wet/muddy that a dozer had to take the sawmill to the logs.

This is the one that I tried to saw earlier this year, and finally abandoned.

Some of the logs at the above location.  I sawed about 2500bf from the nearest ones on the left.

But none of this mess.  I sawed a day and a half before leaving.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Patrick NC

I haven't got the job yet, but I was asked to give a quote to take the extension off my mill and tow it 4 miles up an old forest service fire road and then 1 mile up a mountain path to cut locust timbers for a foot bridge. The job would involve towing the mill behind my tractor because it's not accessable with a truck. I gave a quote, but haven't decided yet if I'm going to do it. I drove the road on my side by side and it's doable, but kinda scary in spots. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Tacotodd

@Patrick NC  that's going to be sketchy at best. That might involve a "hazardous" location surcharge.
Trying harder everyday.

Patrick NC

Yep. I have a clause in my quote that states that any damages to my equipment that happen trying to access the site or on the return trip have to be paid for by the customer. I'm also requiring a $1500 refundable deposit before I mobilize to the job. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WV Sawmiller

Patrick,

The obvious question is why can't they bring the logs to you or at least to a more accessible location? Then again - that is the same question I have asked before and suspect the MM asked with the nightmares in his pictures.

I mentioned in the other thread backing through a narrow gate into a backyard, angling the mill about 45 degrees and sawing the logs, which looked like the ones along the road in MMs picture, that we could roll downhill to the mill then pulling up most of the rest with my cable and snatch block and the customer's SUV. I barely got out of that site ahead of a snowstorm which would have left me there for the winter. I still keep asking myself why I did that one as the customer either did know seem to know or care about the extra effort I had put into it.

I sawed a big walnut log Thanksgiving 2 years ago when my tractor was in the shop. We tied the log to a tree and the customer drove out from under it. It was so big I could not move it with anything on the place so I towed the mill beside it, loaded it with my Magic Hook, and sawed it there. The man took it back to Texas with him but his excitement and appreciation, plus a decent tip, made it worthwhile.

It is amazing how a customer's attitude affects the work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Patrick NC

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 05, 2021, 03:07:35 PM
Patrick,

The obvious question is why can't they bring the logs to you or at least to a more accessible location? Then again - that is the same question I have asked before and suspect the MM asked with the nightmares in his pictures.

I mentioned in the other thread backing through a narrow gate into a backyard, angling the mill about 45 degrees and sawing the logs, which looked like the ones along the road in MMs picture, that we could roll downhill to the mill then pulling up most of the rest with my cable and snatch block and the customer's SUV. I barely got out of that site ahead of a snowstorm which would have left me there for the winter. I still keep asking myself why I did that one as the customer either did know seem to know or care about the extra effort I had put into it.

I sawed a big walnut log Thanksgiving 2 years ago when my tractor was in the shop. We tied the log to a tree and the customer drove out from under it. It was so big I could not move it with anything on the place so I towed the mill beside it, loaded it with my Magic Hook, and sawed it there. The man took it back to Texas with him but his excitement and appreciation, plus a decent tip, made it worthwhile.

It is amazing how a customer's attitude affects the work.
He has spent a good bit of time staging the logs at the bridge site by skidding them with an ATV and log arch. I went to look at the site with the intention of asking about hauling the logs to me, but after seeing it, I agree that it would be easier to bring the mill up the mountain. I can take off one extension and get my total length down to 16' with the hitch in it's shortest position. I'm pretty confident that I can get there without any problems towing the mill with my tractor. There's a couple of switchbacks that will be a little tricky, but it's doable. 

Magicman

In more than one instance I/we have had to turn the sawmill around by hand in order to get back out.  Other times I have had to disconnect in order to make a switchback.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

maple flats

Wow, you guys are dedicated for sure. Back when I did portable milling on their site I had it easy. One site where a camp was going to be built, I had a large parking lot so I drove in, set up beside the logs, and 4 days later when finished, I loaded the mill back on the trailer, then made a big loop around the large area, and back onto the road, by the way, it was on a beautiful quiet lake, inlet, maybe 150' wide there, the main lake was about 200 yds out that inlet.
On another, at a second lake, I had to mill on a fairly steep hill. I set the mill up to cut downhill, for the horizontal cut, and uphill for the vertical (Peterson). I was only cutting 5/4x4 oak which was to become flooring in a new camp. I think that was my hardest to do sawing. On most, I described how I wanted the logs lined up, and when I got there they were pretty much like I'd asked.
Now I know you guys who travel to saw have done more, I think over the years I likely only did about 20-25 days of such sawing, everything else was at my location.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV Sawmiller

The last job I did was 110 miles or so away at a campground where I tent camped 2 nights. By the time we finished we had torn the road and landing up so bad in front of the the mill I could not drive my truck back to the place I had dropped it off. The customer had a small tractor with a backhoe and he hooked the safety chains to one of the fingers on the bucket and was able to spin it 180 degrees to the point I could back in to it and hook up and drive out. One issue common in such cases is by the time you get ready to leave you have a hefty pile of sawdust built up around the wheels chocking it firmly in place. Sometimes you have to dig it out before it can be moved even a couple of inches to fit it on the ball. If he had not had the hoe we'd have had to spin it by hand to get out as MM describes.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

MM's comment about spinning and turning the mill by hand reminds me of an old post from Mr. Red Shirt Tom Cadenhead who suggested putting a rounded hubcap under the front landing gear to slide the mill into position. I sure hate he is no longer with us to add some of his experiences here but I think he had died before I ever found this forum. I think he is still up there checking these threads daily though.
Howard Green

Magicman

Actually spinning my sawmill around is not a problem because my tongue weight is only about 75 pounds after I removed the board dragback.  I can also raise the sawhead above the travel pin and allow it to travel back against the safety chain which virtually balances the weight.  That is a slick trick that works extremely well.

Stephen1

I had a good one yesterday. A nice place on the lake with 5 blow down EWP. 20 logs, perfectly straight 12' by 20". No knots for 80% of the logs.
I had to back in across the front lawn, between 2 ugly stumps, it had been rainning for 2 days,  and jacknife the mill partway. Then finnish turning by hand. To get out we had to come in the other side of the stumps, build a ramp over one stump to pull the mill over. 
We did 2000 bd ft of 1x12 with 3" B&B in 6 hrs.  Only 3 nails in the second last log, 2 Blades and a $50 TIP
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tom the Sawyer

The notable ones aren't always nightmarish, sometimes it can be idyllic.  Boats mooring to watch, bikini-clad sailboarders stopping to see what was going one, milling for a couple of veterans older than I am - and a gentle June breeze, can make for a nice day.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

chet

Can't say as I ever had any bikini-clad ladies stop by while I was sawin'.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Crossroads

The most interesting setup I've had was was shortly after I got the lt40. The job was in Portland Oregon (before it went completely nuts) the house was built on a steep hillside and the longs were behind the house in front of the basement/garage. The road going in was narrow, steep and made a sharp turn to go behind the house. On one side was the foundation and on the other was a Chan link fence and a 10' drop. My truck was to big so we hooked the mill to the customers little pickup and started backing in. We got the mill around the corner, but the transition from hill to flat was to steep and the tail end of the mill was going to hit the concrete. We ended up putting a floor jack under the end of the mill and rolled it right into place. Then the mill wouldn't lift the 16' log and we had to trim 2' off the but so I could get it loaded. After the job was done we got the floor jack back out and pulled it back up to the front yard where my truck was waiting. I don't think I'd do it again....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: chet on May 05, 2021, 11:43:03 PM
Can't say as I ever had any bikini-clad ladies stop by while I was sawin'.   :D
I had a state trooper stop to watch once does that count? :-\
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

I sawed on a city street 80 miles from home one time. Was a short paved street in a subdivision. Super easy to set up on level paved ground. Hard place to find a bathroom. I'd have to stop sawing and drive to a gas station instead of finding a nearby bush like most sites. I threw a couple of cheap tarps down to catch the sawdust. The mayor stopped by about noon to show his authority and make sure we had the landowners permission to stage the logs where they were (We did) and be sure we were going to clean up the mess. He was not wearing a bikini either - thank goodness!

Tom,

Remember the FF motto - if there are no pictures, it didn't happen. We're waiting with bated breath for the proof here. :D :D

Here is the scene from last weeks job 110 miles away. No mermaids were harmed in the making of this memory. ;D

Howard Green

Magicman

Too wet and had to park the sawmill with a tractor again today.  

Magicman

Not necessarily unusual, but my very first location/set up.

It's at my property where I first set up and sawed.  That picture was taken over 20 years and over 2MMbf ago.  It is also the picture that is on my business card.

chet

Thank goodness no bikini in dat last pic either,  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV Sawmiller

I don't know - have you ever seen the MagicMan in a speedo? :D :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!