iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

On the board with a Stihl 290!

Started by Tofan, November 09, 2013, 10:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tofan

So obviously Winter time is coming and we have a fireplace which heats the living room area much better then electric heat. I decided that it would be time to invest in a chainsaw thats going to last me atleast 10-15 years, and was told by numerous individuals that a Stihl would be the go getter. After careful research and based on what I will be cutting(5-10 cords a year) I decided that I would try out the 290 and if I needed something bigger would sell it after this season. I am not new to using a chainsaw, used mostly Husqavarnas, some Echo, but don't know the technical aspect of it. I heard about the carb trick and the muffler mod, if anybody can chime in and sort of explain to me how this will help me that will be great. I tried using the Search function, but couldn't ever find a good definitive answer, I will try again after this post though. Excited to learn more about em, also I have started doing some research about different types of chains, bars, etc, but again any tips would be extremely helpful and appreciated! Thanks guys.

clww

I got one a few years ago and use it quite a bit cutting up firewood. It's a nice change compared to the MS 460 I lug around six days a week logging trees.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

I wouldn't make any modifications to it while it's under warranty still. This will void the warranty. If and when you do decide to do them, check this thread I did on the 361. Should be pretty similar, just don't know if that deflector would work on a 290 because I have not had one. Good luck with the new saw.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69759.0.html
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

thecfarm

Tofan,welcome to the forum. I have a fireplace too. But not for heat. We only use it probably no more than 30 times in a year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

qbilder

I think it was last year I bought a new 290 for my old man. He cuts a few cords of firewood every fall, and his old saw was giving him trouble. I gotta say I am very impressed with that saw. Maybe he got a good one or else Stihl got something figured out on those things. His saw starts incredibly easy and is powerful. I have an 029 that's been around a while but still runs like a champ, though not as strong as my dad's 290. Theoretically, should be the same saw. But his 290 is far stronger than my 029. In fact, it's not terribly slower cutting than my 460. He loves it. All he has to do is pull the trigger & let the weight of the saw do the cutting, which is good because he's getting up there in years and I worry about him.

I live in NM and he's in Ohio, so I called his local Stihl dealer & explained the situation. He recommended the 290 with a 20" bar, so Dad wouldn't have to be bent over all day while cutting, nor would he have to lean on the saw to get through a cut. He explained that there were stronger saws, lighter saws, etc. but that for older fellows, the 290 seemed to be very popular. Turns out he was an old high school friend of my dad, and gave me a discount, as well as personally delivered the saw to my folks' cabin. The saw has cut at least a half dozen cords of oak, maple, & hickory firewood, and hasn't given a hint of trouble. It runs a few days in the fall, then pretty much sits until the next fall. Perfect saw for the old man. Should last him the rest of the way.
God bless our troops

thecfarm

Perfect dealer for the old man too.Dealer support is a BIG factor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jd2007

Quote from: qbilder on November 10, 2013, 10:41:36 AMTurns out he was an old high school friend of my dad, and gave me a discount, as well as personally delivered the saw to my folks' cabin.

I know he was an old friend, but to deliver a chainsaw is just good service that you don't see much of anymore.
Stihl 029S/039, MS280, MS250
Craftsman 4218

Thank You Sponsors!