iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on homemade bandsaw head lift

Started by Swatson, May 11, 2014, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

I see it now - the red handle and red connecting rod.

Swatson

My lever is not quite as tidy and compact as yours is.  That is a good looking saw you have going on there.  If I ever manage to come across some good cast iron pulleys I am going to redo mine just like you have them with the pillow blocks in the front and rear.  I imagine it would be a little tougher to adjust to get the wheels in the same plane but that is a much more robust design than I could use with my trailer tires. 
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

William1961

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 12, 2014, 06:31:13 AM
A roller chain, gearing and handcrank/brake (extreme right) can be seen here on my MP32.
Bob

Hello
What are the gear ratio on the carriage hand crank.

The sprockets are #40?
The amount of teeth on each stroke the would be nice to know.
I am building a bandsaw sawmill that I also want a electric reduction gearbox lift with also the manual crank as a back up.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Kbeitz

Wheelchair motors ... They work great for this.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

Wm1961,

Here are some pics with the no. of teeth on each gear. The gearmotor is made by Wagner Electric and I was told that it was probably made as a tarp motor for trucks. I got it from the Surplus Center but they no longer carry it. The gear with 14 teeth is not shown and is behind the 60 tooth gear and its chain lifts the sawhead. The hand crank (radius 5.5") has a tight belt whose only function is for friction to stop and hold the sawhead. The head descends by gravity turning the motor backwards. All chains are #40. In my design process I measured the force needed to turn the hand crank and calculated the torque (force in lbs x distance [5.5"] ) and selected an appropriate gear motor.) I added all this about 12 years ago and have had no problems with it. If I can dig up anything else just ask.

There was an earlier thread on the subject:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,16775.0.html

Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

William1961

Bob
Thanks for the sprocket info.
Will be buying those.
Much appreciated.
William.

Thank You Sponsors!