iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Someones Bad Day II

Started by JDeere, September 26, 2010, 08:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

If you run heavy equipment long enough you will find yourself upside down sooner or later. One machine inverted is bad, two is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hynckEbrgWo&feature=fvw
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Autocar

Just looking at that run's cold chills down my spine !
Bill

Dave Shepard

Tracks on ice or frozen ground is bad business. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

IMOWOOD

Okrafarmer

So far I've only ever put a pickup on its side-- but the time could come. I have to do a pretty steep hayfield. Always pay attention and don't make assumptions.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bobus2003

gotta love floppin equipment over... Glad the operator made it out alive

northwoods1

Can you see how narrow that bridge is?? Skidder looks like its running 28" tires... and with those double diamonds on there anyone trying to cross something like that is just asking for trouble! I think I have an almost perfect record I've tipped every woods machine I have ever run for any length of time over ::) some quite a few times like the feller bunchers! Most embarrasing probably was first day on a job running someone elses cable machine a 440 D john deere. Went out and brought a big skid of tree length in to the slasher, was coming up behind slasher and turned short and promptly flopped the machine over cause the blade was up. Right in front of boss and slasher operator.  :D never had to remind me again to keep the blade down.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: northwoods1 on September 30, 2010, 10:20:06 AM
Can you see how narrow that bridge is?? Skidder looks like its running 28" tires... and with those double diamonds on there anyone trying to cross something like that is just asking for trouble! I think I have an almost perfect record I've tipped every woods machine I have ever run for any length of time over ::) some quite a few times like the feller bunchers! Most embarrasing probably was first day on a job running someone elses cable machine a 440 D john deere. Went out and brought a big skid of tree length in to the slasher, was coming up behind slasher and turned short and promptly flopped the machine over cause the blade was up. Right in front of boss and slasher operator.  :D never had to remind me again to keep the blade down.

I've driven dozers, loaders, tractors, trucks, but never a skidder. Can you explain what you mean about keeping the blade down? What about having the blade up made it flip over?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

northwoods1

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 01, 2010, 12:03:41 AM

I've driven dozers, loaders, tractors, trucks, but never a skidder. Can you explain what you mean about keeping the blade down? What about having the blade up made it flip over?

Having the blade up didn't make it flip over, having it lowered would have prevented it though. When traveling over rough ground or in any situation that the machine is unstable you always want to carry the blade low because the blade coming into contact with the ground is what will stop the machine from going over. In the situation I described I was pulling 7-8 80' aspen which is a pretty good pull, with that kind of load behind a smaller john deere skidder like a 440 or 540 just turning tight can cause the wood behind you to pull the machine over even on level ground. If the blade is close to the ground the machine will just tip over until it rests on the blade allowing you to correct. When your working steep ground with cable machines the norm is to be in situations where your in danger of tipping over this is just the nature of that type of work.
I look at that video and it is still hard to believe someone would take a machine like that across that bridge seems like the operator was asking for a ice water bath. What seems even crazier is that they thought they might get and upside down skidder out of a whole in the ice using that little hoe. I bet the guy who dumped the skidder in was the same guy who got in the hoe and dropped that in  :o

Bobus2003

Same deal I had, if I hadn't turned sharp and had the blade a foot closer to the ground it prolly woulda stayed greasy side down

Okrafarmer

Well anyway I'm just guessing that flipping one on dry land still makes for a better day than dunking one in the fish tank upside down--  do they carry on pretty well after being dry-tipped, when you get them back up? They seem to be among the toughest machines out there for resiliency.

Thank You Sponsors!