iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable Skidders

Started by smwwoody, March 03, 2012, 07:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Hi All,

Does anyone besides Tigercat or John Deere make a small cable skidder anymore?  I am thinking of buying a new one or a late model used one. 

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Stephen Alford

Hey sm woody, you can google awassos mini debusqueuses.   :)
logon

smwwoody

Looking for something bigger than that
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

mad murdock

I don't think JD makes anything smaller than a 548, do they? Not exactly a small machine. A friend of mine manages a 400 acre tree farm for their family trust, they had an older machine about like a model 15 Garrett, and when it was wore to the point of exhaustion, the bought a newer kubota AWD, with bigger tires on front than normal, maybe 2/3-3/4 the size of the rears, put a 2 spool Winch on it(Igland I think), and have been logging with it for several years now.m They have heavier plates on it on the front, sides and bottom for woods operation.  I think it is between 75 and 100 hp. It can do pretty well.  Of course it has a ROPS cab on it, and they use it around their mobile dimension mill as it has forks and interchangeable bucket for the loader arms on front as well. Prolly need to look at used skidders for smallish cable machine.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

smwwoody

When I say small i may have been misunderstood.  A 540 JD or 604 tigetcat is what I am talking about.  I was just wondering if there is any other options.  This is what I am running now.

The old franklin does a good job.  I have it in real good shape.  I am looking to upgrade.  I am cutting a job ahead of a strip mine operation and have to deal with regular IMSHA and OSHA inspections.  I think a new or newer machine will make that part of it a lot easier.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

The 604 Tigercat is on top right now
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

PAFaller

Woody you are kind of out of luck with brand new cable machines. John Deere, Tigercat, and Cat are the only game in town. Unfortunately Cat doesn't make anything smaller than a 525 and its built like a grapple machine without the grapple. Weight wise the 540GIII set up with 23.1-26 tires is the smallest, but even those are similar in size to the 640s of the 80s. Tigercats are Cummins powered if you prefer them over Deere, thats pretty much dealer preference I think. Truthfully I am not sure I would ever buy a brand new cable machine and incur that kind of debt unless I knew I had steady work and a crew of guys to keep it working. Working by myself I don't think I could ever cut enough wood in a year to swing the payments on a brand new machine and still live comfortably paying the mortgage and other bills etc. I would shop hard for a low hour, decent condition machine wit a few years on it already. Sticker shock hits logging equipment harder than automobiles, so buying used isnt a bad option.
It ain't easy...

smwwoody

I wish they still built a 240.  I would like to find a good late model used one

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

kiko

I would search for a late model used machine. Anything new will have the tier four engine. I would let someone else be the guinea pig on that contraption.

Bobus2003

Bert

Wonder who put the chains on that 540 G in the link Bobus posted? How long would ratchet strapsl last in the woods. I think I could get about 20 ft off my landing before that went south. Nothing funner than re aligning chains in the mud/woods. just sayin...
Saw you tomorrow!

redneck

here is one rebuilt top  to bottom for $58 000. they have others too just look at view posters  other adds they may take your old one on trade and rebuild it

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-Timberjack-225D-Turbo-W0QQAdIdZ286680812
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

markd

Cut your overhead and keep your old franklin it looks like a mean machine worthy of some maintenence.
markd

sjfarkas

Just out of curiousity, why a cable machine?  I don't see them used where I'm at. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

smwwoody

The old franklin doesn't need a rebuild just a paint job.  I took that pick a few days after i bought it.  It was at home getting ready for the woods. It is in realy good shape.  it has all the engine covers they were just off for maintenance.  it got a new radiator last week.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

I also want to add a second crew
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

beenthere

So Woody, are you saying we really need to see the new pic?   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!