iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers and dead standing pines

Started by Deese, August 19, 2013, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

Okay--the mill isn't here yet. Maybe late this week or next...who knows...
The first trees I plan to cut are currently dead standing pines. Got to have dry stickers to start with, right?
I will be cutting red oaks to begin with and have read that green stickers will possibly stain my lumber...I must be honest and say that I bet I could use green stickers and be fine. But I guess I will be safe and waste my time cutting/stickering with dead, dry pine..

Uhhhmmm....unless my assumptions about green stickers are true?
I mean--come on, there can't be that much difference? Right, or wrong?
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

LeeB

Standing dead doesn't mean dry. A little drier than fresh, but by no means will  it be dry. I'll  be honest and say green stickers may be ok but not likely. Listen to and learn from the collective wisdom here, or not, and learn from your own mistakes.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Deese

I am with you LeeB. I joined this forum for valuable info and WOW I have received a bunch of it...
I actually chuckled at myself this afternoon, thinking about how differently I observe trees while driving, etc just because I have sawing on my mind.

Here are the choices I currently have regarding stickers:

I have a vast abundance of old treated 1x6 lumber that I could rip into stickers...or I can cut a few standing dead pines that I have found for stickers...

I plan on cutting/stacking hardwood lumber within two weeks...I plan on using one of these two options unless I shouldn't...
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I will do whatever it takes to ensure that I do it correctly--even if it means finding a source of really dried lumber to rip into stickers...
But my gut is telling me to use the standing dead pine trees I have found...
The bottom line is that I will be stacking boards in two weeks max and I want to do it right. Gotta be done correctly. Maybe I should explore other options? Gotta get the ball rolling...
Cooks AE4P Edger

LeeB

Rip the 1x6's to get started. Cut some of the standing pine and make stickers from them and dry them. It won't take long for them to air dry enough to use. Then you will have what you need for the oak. Be patient partner. No need to work hard for nothing. What are your plans for the oak? If it just for barn wood or such, I wouldn't be too concerned about using the standing dead pine stickers. If it will be for furniture or inside trim, then you will want to do everything you can to keep the quality of your final product high.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

Make sure nobody breathes dust from sawing treated lumber.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

chickenchaser

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 20, 2013, 04:48:25 AM
Make sure nobody breathes dust from sawing treated lumber.

X2!

I have an older friend with very serious health problems. Dr. says it is from breathing the dust from PT lumber.

I need to remember this...
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Deese

QuoteWhat are your plans for the oak? If it just for barn wood or such, I wouldn't be too concerned about using the standing dead pine stickers. If it will be for furniture or inside trim, then you will want to do everything you can to keep the quality of your final product high.

I plan to use this oak lumber as part of my building material for my future home. I don't want staining...but I do plan on running a lot of it through a planer/jointer to straighten/resurface it.

Another question---
When cutting new stickers, I'm assuming that they need to be stacked on a level surface in layers perpendicular to each other to ensure they stay straight and also maximize air flow/drying time?
Cooks AE4P Edger

LeeB

Correct on stacking and stickering the new cut stickers.
Sticker stain most often cannot be removed in the planer.

thecfarm

I suppose you know that red oak will stain when it come in contact with metal? It will leave a black mark,stain. Not really a bad idea to run your stickers through the planer too.You may want to check out the Knowledge Base under Extras. it's on the Menu bar on top. You will need a good level study foundation to dry your lumber.
You will need dry stickers. It's almost like having job experiece. Everyone wants it,but no one will hire you so you can get it.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

If this lumber will be utility grade use whatever you want, if this lumber will be dried and finished, you might consider doing it with dry, stickers, unless you like stripes in your finish,  it will happen, wonder how I know?  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

How long dead? If it has been over a year, the outer parts might be able to sneak by as stickers. Get lots of air on the stack and no water through the top, that will help.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Deese

Heck--the pines I have chosen look pretty rough. But don't know how long they have been dead. You know how the power company will clear/maintain powerlines with one of those huge circular saws on a big telescoping pole?  Well, I can cut a bunch of those that have been cut off about 30ft off the ground. I don't know how long they've been dead but I'm gonna cut them into stickers and post pictures etc all along the way to reap advice...

This is my adventure---I need y'all to keep me from screwing it up!  ;D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Quote from: thecfarm on August 20, 2013, 02:34:06 PM
I suppose you know that red oak will stain when it come in contact with metal? It will leave a black mark,stain. Not really a bad idea to run your stickers through the planer too.You may want to check out the Knowledge Base under Extras. it's on the Menu bar on top. You will need a good level study foundation to dry your lumber.
You will need dry stickers. It's almost like having job experiece. Everyone wants it,but no one will hire you so you can get it.  :D

Thanks for the tips my friend---all advice I receive on here is noted and propels further research. Many thanks  :Pq
Cooks AE4P Edger

dboyt

Consider buying some air dry pallet grade 4/4 lumber from a local mill, then cut it into strips for stickers.  It's amazing how inexpensive it is.  You could even cut strips on a table saw while you're waiting for the mill to arrive.

Cutting dead trees is a serious concern.  Most loggers know someone who has died or been seriously hurt (as in being confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life) by falling dead snags.  I built a shelter that fits onto a front end loader to work under, but wear full protective gear, and breath a sigh of relief when the tree is on the ground.  I was lucky enough to have a close call to get my attention.  You might not be.  Try doing a Google search for logging accidents.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

red oaks lumber

dead wood is still very wet. if your going to be sawing wood on a regular basis,invest in dry wood for stickers. it is money well spent.keep the lumber from the dead pines for future sticker mat'l.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!